Netflix Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

After a few successful short phone interviews, I was summoned to a concentrated interview day with quite a few people that were related to the role to which I was interviewing.
Overall, the interview process was OK, logistics were taken care of properly, etc.
Most of the people which interviewed me were very nice, professional and asked relevant questions.
A couple of issues which I have noticed:
- It doesn't seem like the interviewers were sync'd with each other; there were a lot of overlapping questions and it was obvious that the latter interviewers were not filled in on the former interviews.
- Some of the interviewers were a bit condescending (e.g. statements like "this job is not easy, right? it may seem like it is, but it isn't" after doing a short exercise to test my skills, but after no expression what-so-ever on my end that "this job is easy" or anything like that), which made me question whether I even want to join this organization, having my potential colleagues with such an attitude.
- Netflix has a very unique culture deck, and a lot of my interviewers seemed a bit obsessed with it, which was another red flag for me.

Interview Questions

• what is the worst feedback that you have ever received?   Answer Question
  • how would you handle a strong disagreement with your manager/peer/direct report?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Netflix

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Netflix in October 2014.

Interview

Numerous calls with a variety of disconnected people at different levels. No consistent format at all and sometimes a week or two between rounds of calls. Everyone I talked to had a bloated opinion of themselves and were arrogant. After quite some time getting bounce around I got sick of the game and decided I was done with them. They claimed to pay top and then the salary they talked about was more middle market. Additionally when I met people most of them had only been in role for a short time telling me that attrition is high.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

The interview process drags out at Netflix. By the time I was finished I had met about 7 people. I met future colleagues, an HR VP, the department director and the department VP. They want you to meet the whole world including wasting upper management's time. It doesn't matter what level the position is.

Interview Questions

• Lot's of emphasis on how they only hire "Talented" individuals and how proud they are that after a 360 review every year, they fire a lot of people.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is room for negotiation. I got an offer from another company at the same time and Netflix increased my salary to win me over.

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

it was the first interview and the process didn't continued.
    As the first interview, they just ask me "who I am"

this was the only question.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix.

Interview

Great people, great interviews, seems like it would have been an excellent place to work.

Spoke with hiring manager of phone and was extended an offer to go through a formal interview process.

Main thing was I was not prepared enough to discuss details around specific process level instrumentation. I did talk with all folks on the interview loop and looking back can see that had I better prepared myself to interview at a deeper technical level, the outcome may have been different.

Suggest to not only deeply understand the company, history, direction but also ensure readiness to delve into a few details as well and demonstrate the specific skill set required to do implementation work even when interviewing for a management job. I was a bit rusty and could have sharpened my skills prior to interviewing.

Interview Questions

• The difficulty is not a specific question, but rather to make sure you are ready to dig in to details and also correlate to the larger picture.   Answer Question