Netflix Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions

Updated Apr 30, 2014

3.6

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in November 2013.

I had been in touch with a recruiter at Netflix for about 10 months before I decided to move forward with an interview. I didn't move forward earlier because I had been at my new company for about 6 months. When I reached out to the recruiter, she forwarded me to another recruiter who had an open position which matched my skill sets.

When I indicated I was interested in the role, she set up a meeting with the hiring manager who explained things in more detail, and also asked me some questions about my current role, and a coding question. Later that day the recruiter calls me back telling me they would like to schedule a phone interview with an engineer later in the day, or the next day. I tell them I'll need a week to get prepped, and we have it the following Monday, 5 days later. Within a few hours of the phone interview I get a call asking for availability to fly down to the HQ for an onsite.

At the onsite, I am scheduled for two rounds. A first one with 5 interviews (1 HR, 4 technical) and then 3 (with directors and VP for more high level/team fit). Advice: carry some energy bars with you because one of your interviews is a lunch interview, and your interviewer may not necessarily eat with you - so you want to avoid the awkwardness of eating and answering! Also, stop and get something to drink after each interview because you'll get thirsty after this much talking! Overall the people I met were friendly and open about Netflix's culture and didn't hesitate to answer any question I asked them.

I had the interview on Friday, and by Monday I was told that they were willing to make me an offer.

Interview Questions
  • - Describe one of the most interesting/challenging bugs you found in your system (this is after explaining the architecture in detail) and how you went about getting it resolved.
    - Expect coding questions through the entire process. Everything is fair game, from trees to recursion to dynamic programming
    - Make sure you read the culture deck on the Netflix jobs site, you will get asked questions about it
      Answer Question
Unbelievable salary offer. Numbers aren't provided until you accept their offer. Very little room to negotiate since this is pretty much top of market.

Other Interview Reviews for Netflix

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in October 2013.

1st HR call
    1st Onsite technical round
    2nd Onsite VP level Interview

Interview Questions
    They offer way beyond the market price.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Netflix.

Interview process was very well streamlined and was on time. I enjoyed whole interview process. Interview was focused on the position with questions to judge your overall personality.

Was given a different position then one originally applied for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Netflix in April 2012.

I interviewed with Netflix and my experience with the first interview was horrible. I would have walked away from interview if it was local company. The person who was Senior Software Engineer in Test was just terrible with a heavy accent. He was rude from the minute he talked to me. His first question was what is your test strategy? I asked him my test strategy is based on the feature or the product. Can you tell me little about the feature and then I will go over the test strategy. He said no first tell me the test strategy then I will go over feature. I told him no first you tell me the feature and then I will go over my test strategy. He said he wanted to hear about Positive and negative testing ( why he would think with 15 years experience I will not know about positive and negative testing?) His other question was explain me in detail what do we do ( his team)? His team was Streaming Media Content Delivery and when I told him that you guys work with Streaming Media Content Delivery, he said that is the name of the team. I told him that I don't know more than what was specified to me. Finally he explained the feature and asked me how would I test it. Anytime I started presenting a scenario for any input I mentioned he would say that is Operations ( even though he was wrong), I asked him well that is my question to you what would be the input to the use cases and I will tell you Positive and negative input. He said this is SCRUM and there are no specs. I told him even in SCRUM you need to clarify Acceptance Criteria. Another rude comment he made was " make sure to ask every question before you start so that when you in the middle you don't say I forgot to ask".

Overall this guy was just a plain jerk and I will never want to work with him at any cost.

The other 2 interviews were more about coding and moderately difficult however those guys were at least polite and manager was a nice guy. I told hiring manager about my feedback about first interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • What is your test strategy ( and refusing to explain the feature or the product)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Netflix in September 2011.

The interview process was straight forward. I had 3 phone screens, first one was more towards Java and I did not have much experience with Java so did not work out well but I think the interviewer understood that and so came the second interview, who was a engineering manager (hiring manager). Asked some basic questions about my back ground and then there was a higher level testing question. Given a API with minimal documentation and something which is in production for a year, how will you go about testing it.
    3rd phone screen was more about resume cross check, spot checking on some of the technologies that I mentioned in my resume.

Flew me down to los gatos (good accomodation), I was provided with the schedule of interview ahead of time, which i liked as it showed that there is thought given to interview process.

There were 7 interviews in 2 sections, if you pass the first technical section of 4 interviews then it moves on to next step of 3 interviews mostly with VP and director level people.

Technical interview
    Simple algorithm questions for coding.
    then some abstract high level testing question

More emphasis on, whether you will fit the culture which seems to be open in terms of upper management having direct communication with engineers about the directiion the company is taking and why.

It seemed like they are more Hire/Fire kind of culture but talking to the interviewers, it did not seem like there is pressure on them.

Interview Questions
    • Testing approach for something which is in production for long time but did not have test infrastructure around it. Would you go top down, bottom up, how will you start thinking about the strategy.   Answer Question

The offer was good (you can negotiate a lot), but did not work out for me in terms of all the relocation in terms of cost that I would have to do.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!