Netflix Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions

Updated May 8, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter. There were many schedule changes. Since I am local, they did technical interview on site. It was not official 'on-site' interview. It was not a good fit It was weird that one other manager was in the same room shadowing during my interview

Interview Questions

• 1) Very easy - Find a duplicate number in an array 2) More technical about their testing scenario - specific knowledge required of the product related   Answer Question

not right fit

Other Interview Reviews for Netflix

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week. Expect that 70% of questions will be about your personality (even from tech people). One of the favorite question: 'what do you think about Netflix culture?'

Interview Questions

• same as posted before: with functions up, down, left, right, enter, create your own to write words on screen keyboard.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and was scheduled a phone interview in which I got a brain-teaser. I was brought on site and was interviewed by 6 people. Interview took 5 hours. In the last 2 hours I got a headache due to being hungry. Some of the interviewers were texting on their phones while I was answering their questions (several times). Some others were checking their phones constantly while I was talking.

Interview Questions

• Some interviewers were not able to explain their questions clearly. Questions were not hard but poorly posed.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call back from them in about 2 weeks. After brief conversation with recruiter I was scheduled to have technical phone interview. I thought that interview went well from my side, but got a call a few days later saying they have decided to proceed with another candidate. In general very efficient approach to the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Given the functions Up(), Down(), Left(), Right(), Enter() write the function that would take Str (like Hobbit:_Unexpected_Journey) and type it using keypad (the kind you have on Smart TVs, etc.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I had been in touch with a recruiter at Netflix for about 10 months before I decided to move forward with an interview. I didn't move forward earlier because I had been at my new company for about 6 months. When I reached out to the recruiter, she forwarded me to another recruiter who had an open position which matched my skill sets. When I indicated I was interested in the role, she set up a meeting with the hiring manager who explained things in more detail, and also asked me some questions about my current role, and a coding question. Later that day the recruiter calls me back telling me they would like to schedule a phone interview with an engineer later in the day, or the next day. I tell them I'll need a week to get prepped, and we have it the following Monday, 5 days later. Within a few hours of the phone interview I get a call asking for availability to fly down to the HQ for an onsite. At the onsite, I am scheduled for two rounds. A first one with 5 interviews (1 HR, 4 technical) and then 3 (with directors and VP for more high level/team fit). Advice: carry some energy bars with you because one of your interviews is a lunch interview, and your interviewer may not necessarily eat with you - so you want to avoid the awkwardness of eating and answering! Also, stop and get something to drink after each interview because you'll get thirsty after this much talking! Overall the people I met were friendly and open about Netflix's culture and didn't hesitate to answer any question I asked them. I had the interview on Friday, and by Monday I was told that they were willing to make me an offer.

Interview Questions

• - Describe one of the most interesting/challenging bugs you found in your system (this is after explaining the architecture in detail) and how you went about getting it resolved. - Expect coding questions through the entire process. Everything is fair game, from trees to recursion to dynamic programming - Make sure you read the culture deck on the Netflix jobs site, you will get asked questions about it   Answer Question

Negotiation

Unbelievable salary offer. Numbers aren't provided until you accept their offer. Very little room to negotiate since this is pretty much top of market.

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in October 2013.

Interview

1st HR call 1st Onsite technical round 2nd Onsite VP level Interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They offer way beyond the market price.

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

Interview process was very well streamlined and was on time. I enjoyed whole interview process. Interview was focused on the position with questions to judge your overall personality.

Was given a different position then one originally applied for.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Netflix (San Jose, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

I interviewed with Netflix and my experience with the first interview was horrible. I would have walked away from interview if it was local company. The person who was Senior Software Engineer in Test was just terrible with a heavy accent. He was rude from the minute he talked to me. His first question was what is your test strategy? I asked him my test strategy is based on the feature or the product. Can you tell me little about the feature and then I will go over the test strategy. He said no first tell me the test strategy then I will go over feature. I told him no first you tell me the feature and then I will go over my test strategy. He said he wanted to hear about Positive and negative testing ( why he would think with 15 years experience I will not know about positive and negative testing?) His other question was explain me in detail what do we do ( his team)? His team was Streaming Media Content Delivery and when I told him that you guys work with Streaming Media Content Delivery, he said that is the name of the team. I told him that I don't know more than what was specified to me. Finally he explained the feature and asked me how would I test it. Anytime I started presenting a scenario for any input I mentioned he would say that is Operations ( even though he was wrong), I asked him well that is my question to you what would be the input to the use cases and I will tell you Positive and negative input. He said this is SCRUM and there are no specs. I told him even in SCRUM you need to clarify Acceptance Criteria. Another rude comment he made was " make sure to ask every question before you start so that when you in the middle you don't say I forgot to ask". Overall this guy was just a plain jerk and I will never want to work with him at any cost. The other 2 interviews were more about coding and moderately difficult however those guys were at least polite and manager was a nice guy. I told hiring manager about my feedback about first interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What is your test strategy ( and refusing to explain the feature or the product)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview process was straight forward. I had 3 phone screens, first one was more towards Java and I did not have much experience with Java so did not work out well but I think the interviewer understood that and so came the second interview, who was a engineering manager (hiring manager). Asked some basic questions about my back ground and then there was a higher level testing question. Given a API with minimal documentation and something which is in production for a year, how will you go about testing it. 3rd phone screen was more about resume cross check, spot checking on some of the technologies that I mentioned in my resume. Flew me down to los gatos (good accomodation), I was provided with the schedule of interview ahead of time, which i liked as it showed that there is thought given to interview process. There were 7 interviews in 2 sections, if you pass the first technical section of 4 interviews then it moves on to next step of 3 interviews mostly with VP and director level people. Technical interview Simple algorithm questions for coding. then some abstract high level testing question More emphasis on, whether you will fit the culture which seems to be open in terms of upper management having direct communication with engineers about the directiion the company is taking and why. It seemed like they are more Hire/Fire kind of culture but talking to the interviewers, it did not seem like there is pressure on them.

Interview Questions

• Testing approach for something which is in production for long time but did not have test infrastructure around it. Would you go top down, bottom up, how will you start thinking about the strategy.   Answer Question

The offer was good (you can negotiate a lot), but did not work out for me in terms of all the relocation in terms of cost that I would have to do.