Netflix Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2015

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Netflix.

Interview

The manager sent email and then had quick chat. Then recruiter followed up requesting reading their 100+ page culture document. Then technical phone screen seems to be easy and feedback is good. I thought I will go onsite. The following day, recruiter sent email stating skill miss match. It is kind of wasting time to ask for phone screen if they knew the mismatch in the first place.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Netflix

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

I think they are not serious about hiring and just browsing the job market to see how much other people are getting. Had the usual phone screen which was pretty easy , mostly questions related to HashMap and how its implemented in Java , why equals and hascode function are required etc. Then there was simple coding question.
    After that there were onsite interviews. First interviewer asked question about how to figure rectangles objects are equal and then HashMaps and how to implement hashcode function . He was pretty adamant about hearing catch phrase "strategy design pattern" even after providing the solution which was what strategy design pattern would have done.
    Second interview as 2 coding questions related to median of array and print level order , it was pretty easy.
    Third interview was a design interview.
    Forth was more behavioral with director.
    Fifth with HR, she tried to much to sell Netflix and asked questions about how much I am making, I told her I dont feel comfortable telling the exact figures but told her what my expectation is. She didnt let it go and said because they have to be on top of the market my exact figures are quite important, which i didnt get.

Got rejection email after a day which was a surprise as my interviews went well. I asked for feed back but they never returned to me, I guess they got what the needed. Anyways wouldn,t have left my current job for Netflix because I kind of got the feeling about their culture which I am afraid close whats there on the Glassdoor.

Interview Questions

• Median of stream of integers, solved using two heaps min and max.
      Print tree level wise

1 Answer
    • There are 10000 servers and need to send a file of size 1 MB to each server, starting from laptop and there is only 1 MB bandwidth between each server. Shortest time in this is possible . Solved using tree and can be done in logarithmic time.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix.

Interview

I had applied on the job portal and was contacted by the recruiter who set me up for an interview with the Manager. It was pretty basic and I was asked for a coding interview. In the coding round I was asked to code one problem for which I provided two solutions (both working) one O(N) and another optimized O(1). I was pretty confident that I would go through to the next round but got an email telling me that my skill set wasn't an exact match for the position.

Although the recruitment team is thoroughly professional I can't understand why the "perfect match" wasn't thought about after going through my resume itself. That could have saved a lot of time and energy that was wasted both mine and theirs.

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a Netflix recruiter on LinkedIn, and agreed to go ahead with an interview.

First up, I talked to the recruiter, who told me about Netflix and the particular team, and asked me some basic non-tech questions about my past experience and salaries expectation. The usual recruiter staff.

Then she schedule a 1.5 hrs phone call with the hiring manager for that team. I was told it was going to be a technical interview with coding exercise and all.

First the hiring manager calls me before the call and tells me he was not going to make it on time and will call 30 mins later than actual time. Ok nice to get a courtesy call, appreciated.

The actual interview was complete waste of time. He started by blabbing about his team and what they work on and which in reality was nothing exciting, a team of glorified Research Assistants. They own recommendation systems and basically needed a lot of working with machine learning guys and facilitating their A\B testing, and launching that one model that actually works.

They he asked me to tell my own experience, so I described in detail different companies I've worked for and the projects I have worked. Mid-way he cuts me asks how was the transition from one role to another role, which I answered. Then he asked me what my team-mates would describe me. I answered someone with bias for action who get things done.

Then he asked me if I had any question, and I asked a bunch of questions.

He didn't asked me a single technical question. The closet thing to a technical question was "How would to rate your coding skills from 1-5", to which I said 4-4.5. Isn't that the whole point of this interview. Give me question to code and rate yourself.

And then he goes on to give me the most stupid reason for not going ahead. "You don't have the number of experience". As a seasoned interviewer myself I couldn't believe he said that. I expect that from a small company run by a bunch of non-tech guys, but this was ridiculous beyond any reasoning. I understand if he didn't like something he saw, but seriously.

I've worked for 3 years for one of the biggest tech company (13x Market cap compare to Netflix) and another year at a video gaming giant, and am currently working for the biggest online retailer. Hell, Netflix run on systems we develop.

And he still somehow had the guts to tell me to keep in touch, and that I'm smart and definitely have the rights skills set, and should apply in a few a years.

It was a complete waste of my time, and I don't know what he was trying to prove.

Interview Questions

• No technical questions asked.
      Tell me about your experience/
      How from the transition from role A to role B?
      How would your team describe you?
      How would you rate your coding?

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix in January 2015.

Interview

Brought in for a half day of interviews, mostly with other software engineers and technical managers. Based on my performance in the first half of the interview process, they decided to not continue with the 2nd half (which would have been with executives and representatives from HR).

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes a string as an arg, and returns the same string with all duplicates removed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

Phone interviews w/ hiring manager and an engineer on the team.

They flew me in for a packed day of interviews. Went reasonably well, but one interviewer probed pretty deeply into operations issues / monitoring tools I didn't have direct experience with.

Hiring manager said they were conflicted but my lack of ops experience was a deal breaker.

Interview Questions

• What, precisely, does the load average in `top` signify, and what does it look like if all threads in a pool are blocked?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Gatos, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted through Linkedin. They ask some basic engineering questions to weed out any mismatches. Then you have a technical phone screen with hiring manager. If that goes well, then there is an onsite where you meet the Hiring Manager, HR and other senior engineers on the team. If that goes well, you get called on for meeting at exec level to filter for a culture fit.

Interview Questions

• Very detail oriented. Be prepared to come up with design/product improvement based questions. Nothing difficult really, but the answer can get tricky as they deep dive further into the design/ architecture discussions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They pay top of the Market. I did not feel the need to negotiate. Very happy with the offer. Also, they are very persuasive. They make you feel needed.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter and after a couple of initial conversations had a couple of phone calls with hiring manager and another senior engineer. This was followed by full day on site interview with other engineers on the team, the hiring manager and a few executives.

Interview Questions

• Nothing very difficult. Basic java, algorithms and design questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix (Los Altos, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

With in few weeks of time, got call from HR, talked 30 mins reading the projects and role etc, and the normal HR questions like why are you looking for a change, why netflix etc

Interview Questions

• What is the difference you see in company x, with respect to your previous company y ?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix in April 2014.

Interview

Good data structues and algorithms questions. I recieved immediate response from interviewer that I did good, as I not just provided good solution but also optimized the solution and provided correct complexity.
    One round with HR. Had great conversation until the interview hit a rock bottom on culture concerns. :(

Interview Questions

• What do you not like about Netflix culture ?
      I said the truth and there it went all bad, ( I ws a bit concerned before the interviews after learning about their culture from glassdoor reviews and ofcourse the slides state it clear). If you can take the risk it's a high rewarding good bet otherwise you are way better off few ks below their offering at other better places.

1 Answer