Netflix

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

42 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in December 2014.

I was contacted by a Netflix recruiter on LinkedIn, and agreed to go ahead with an interview.

First up, I talked to the recruiter, who told me about Netflix and the particular team, and asked me some basic non-tech questions about my past experience and salaries expectation. The usual recruiter staff.

Then she schedule a 1.5 hrs phone call with the hiring manager for that team. I was told it was going to be a technical interview with coding exercise and all.

First the hiring manager calls me before the call and tells me he was not going to make it on time and will call 30 mins later than actual time. Ok nice to get a courtesy call, appreciated.

The actual interview was complete waste of time. He started by blabbing about his team and what they work on and which in reality was nothing exciting, a team of glorified Research Assistants. They own recommendation systems and basically needed a lot of working with machine learning guys and facilitating their A\B testing, and launching that one model that actually works.

They he asked me to tell my own experience, so I described in detail different companies I've worked for and the projects I have worked. Mid-way he cuts me asks how was the transition from one role to another role, which I answered. Then he asked me what my team-mates would describe me. I answered someone with bias for action who get things done.

Then he asked me if I had any question, and I asked a bunch of questions.

He didn't asked me a single technical question. The closet thing to a technical question was "How would to rate your coding skills from 1-5", to which I said 4-4.5. Isn't that the whole point of this interview. Give me question to code and rate yourself.

And then he goes on to give me the most stupid reason for not going ahead. "You don't have the number of experience". As a seasoned interviewer myself I couldn't believe he said that. I expect that from a small company run by a bunch of non-tech guys, but this was ridiculous beyond any reasoning. I understand if he didn't like something he saw, but seriously.

I've worked for 3 years for one of the biggest tech company (13x Market cap compare to Netflix) and another year at a video gaming giant, and am currently working for the biggest online retailer. Hell, Netflix run on systems we develop.

And he still somehow had the guts to tell me to keep in touch, and that I'm smart and definitely have the rights skills set, and should apply in a few a years.

It was a complete waste of my time, and I don't know what he was trying to prove.

Interview Questions
  • No technical questions asked.
    Tell me about your experience/
    How from the transition from role A to role B?
    How would your team describe you?
    How would you rate your coding?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Netflix

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Netflix.

Phone interviews w/ hiring manager and an engineer on the team.

They flew me in for a packed day of interviews. Went reasonably well, but one interviewer probed pretty deeply into operations issues / monitoring tools I didn't have direct experience with.

Hiring manager said they were conflicted but my lack of ops experience was a deal breaker.

Interview Questions
    • What, precisely, does the load average in `top` signify, and what does it look like if all threads in a pool are blocked?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in October 2014.

Recruiter contacted through Linkedin. They ask some basic engineering questions to weed out any mismatches. Then you have a technical phone screen with hiring manager. If that goes well, then there is an onsite where you meet the Hiring Manager, HR and other senior engineers on the team. If that goes well, you get called on for meeting at exec level to filter for a culture fit.

Interview Questions
    • Very detail oriented. Be prepared to come up with design/product improvement based questions. Nothing difficult really, but the answer can get tricky as they deep dive further into the design/ architecture discussions.   Answer Question
    They pay top of the Market. I did not feel the need to negotiate. Very happy with the offer. Also, they are very persuasive. They make you feel needed.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

Was contacted by recruiter and after a couple of initial conversations had a couple of phone calls with hiring manager and another senior engineer. This was followed by full day on site interview with other engineers on the team, the hiring manager and a few executives.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult. Basic java, algorithms and design questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Altos, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix in July 2014.

With in few weeks of time, got call from HR, talked 30 mins reading the projects and role etc, and the normal HR questions like why are you looking for a change, why netflix etc

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference you see in company x, with respect to your previous company y ?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix in April 2014.

Good data structues and algorithms questions. I recieved immediate response from interviewer that I did good, as I not just provided good solution but also optimized the solution and provided correct complexity.
    One round with HR. Had great conversation until the interview hit a rock bottom on culture concerns. :(

Interview Questions
    • What do you not like about Netflix culture ?
      I said the truth and there it went all bad, ( I ws a bit concerned before the interviews after learning about their culture from glassdoor reviews and ofcourse the slides state it clear). If you can take the risk it's a high rewarding good bet otherwise you are way better off few ks below their offering at other better places.

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Netflix in March 2014.

I applied for a position using their online job portal. Further, I was contacted by the recruiter, followed by a technical phone screen. The phone screen was not a blocker and was asked to come onsite. The onsite interviews are 4 technical and 1 HR. The technical rounds will focus on your language skills. It seamed they are more focused on you remembering the API's rather than having an understanding of the basics of the language. Some of the technical rounds are focused on Design related questions. During such rounds, the interviewer seems to be satisfied with your thoughts. However, the next day you get a call saying you do not match the exact fit. Felt like the interviewers are not looking at the thought process, but rather want you to remember API's of a language.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

Applied directly. Initial contact with HR who gave me their really long slideshow about Netflix culture. Then there was a very light phone screen (which was mostly javascript trivia) with a hiring manager. Then I was invited on-site. They were a bit disorganized, and they told me that only two people were available to interview me and that I'd have to come back again if it went well.

First on-site interview was mostly system design questions, which was fine.

The second was a full implementation of an entire web front end component, complete with markup. This was a lot of pretty inconsequential code to write by hand with a marker, but I gave it a shot. There were a number of library functions that I couldn't remember off the top of my head, which seemed to annoy my interviewer. I usually try to "think out loud" for these kinds of interviews, but with something so rote, I didn't really have anything to say while I was just dumping HTML out onto the board.

My interviewer didn't really have any engagement in the process, eventually he just started playing on his phone. I guess he didn't like the way I had implemented the component, but he didn't really give much feedback.

After going through the obligatory, "questions for him" phase, he said bye and just walked in the opposite direction from the lobby, leaving me to just show myself out. It didn't seem very professional.

I was really expecting data structure and algorithm questions- the kind that are conducive to whiteboard coding. Instead, the seemed more interested in javascript gotchas and library trivia. I don't really see how that's helpful in an interview, but what do I know?

As a general comment, the Cultural slideshow gave me a few concerns about working there at Netflix, but no one at any stage of the whole process was willing to give answers to culture-related questions beyond just regurgitating what was in the long slide deck.

Interview Questions
    • Complete implementation of an html front-end with full markup and all scripts and tests-Done on a whiteboard in 20 minutes.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in January 2014.

I inquired about the senior software engineer from netflix directly from their website at the end of 2013. I received an email from HR staff first week of 2014 asking if we can have a chat. The initial chat went well. Mostly consisted of asking me what I am currently doing and a brief of the position. The HR staff also asked that I looked over the 200+ page powerpoint. We then scheduled a meeting with the engineering manager for the group. Meeting with the hiring manager was brief and straightforward. The gist of the conversation was about the position and netflix. The follow up technical interview was straightforward, no nonsense stuff. However, I haven't heard from them for over a week. I don't think I am a match after all. But overall, it was a good experience for me to get my feet wet again on the interview scene.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

There was a phone interview initially for an hour with the hiring manager regarding educational and professional background.

Then the main onsite interview was scheduled for 3 hours with five different people interviewing me. There were two Engineering Manager, one senior software engineer and one Director of Product and finally a recruiter

Interview Questions
    • Design a movie recommendation algorithm when based on a social graph. Input given are social graph, what movies are seen by different people, their rating of each movie and overall rating of each movie. Then there were questions on how will weights be selected among friends' movies   Answer Question