Netflix Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2014
Updated Sep 1, 2014

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

Was contacted by recruiter and after a couple of initial conversations had a couple of phone calls with hiring manager and another senior engineer. This was followed by full day on site interview with other engineers on the team, the hiring manager and a few executives.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing very difficult. Basic java, algorithms and design questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Netflix

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix in April 2014.

Good data structues and algorithms questions. I recieved immediate response from interviewer that I did good, as I not just provided good solution but also optimized the solution and provided correct complexity.
    One round with HR. Had great conversation until the interview hit a rock bottom on culture concerns. :(

Interview Questions
    • What do you not like about Netflix culture ?
      I said the truth and there it went all bad, ( I ws a bit concerned before the interviews after learning about their culture from glassdoor reviews and ofcourse the slides state it clear). If you can take the risk it's a high rewarding good bet otherwise you are way better off few ks below their offering at other better places.
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Netflix in March 2014.

I applied for a position using their online job portal. Further, I was contacted by the recruiter, followed by a technical phone screen. The phone screen was not a blocker and was asked to come onsite. The onsite interviews are 4 technical and 1 HR. The technical rounds will focus on your language skills. It seamed they are more focused on you remembering the API's rather than having an understanding of the basics of the language. Some of the technical rounds are focused on Design related questions. During such rounds, the interviewer seems to be satisfied with your thoughts. However, the next day you get a call saying you do not match the exact fit. Felt like the interviewers are not looking at the thought process, but rather want you to remember API's of a language.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

Applied directly. Initial contact with HR who gave me their really long slideshow about Netflix culture. Then there was a very light phone screen (which was mostly javascript trivia) with a hiring manager. Then I was invited on-site. They were a bit disorganized, and they told me that only two people were available to interview me and that I'd have to come back again if it went well.

First on-site interview was mostly system design questions, which was fine.

The second was a full implementation of an entire web front end component, complete with markup. This was a lot of pretty inconsequential code to write by hand with a marker, but I gave it a shot. There were a number of library functions that I couldn't remember off the top of my head, which seemed to annoy my interviewer. I usually try to "think out loud" for these kinds of interviews, but with something so rote, I didn't really have anything to say while I was just dumping HTML out onto the board.

My interviewer didn't really have any engagement in the process, eventually he just started playing on his phone. I guess he didn't like the way I had implemented the component, but he didn't really give much feedback.

After going through the obligatory, "questions for him" phase, he said bye and just walked in the opposite direction from the lobby, leaving me to just show myself out. It didn't seem very professional.

I was really expecting data structure and algorithm questions- the kind that are conducive to whiteboard coding. Instead, the seemed more interested in javascript gotchas and library trivia. I don't really see how that's helpful in an interview, but what do I know?

As a general comment, the Cultural slideshow gave me a few concerns about working there at Netflix, but no one at any stage of the whole process was willing to give answers to culture-related questions beyond just regurgitating what was in the long slide deck.

Interview Questions
    • Complete implementation of an html front-end with full markup and all scripts and tests-Done on a whiteboard in 20 minutes.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Netflix in January 2014.

I inquired about the senior software engineer from netflix directly from their website at the end of 2013. I received an email from HR staff first week of 2014 asking if we can have a chat. The initial chat went well. Mostly consisted of asking me what I am currently doing and a brief of the position. The HR staff also asked that I looked over the 200+ page powerpoint. We then scheduled a meeting with the engineering manager for the group. Meeting with the hiring manager was brief and straightforward. The gist of the conversation was about the position and netflix. The follow up technical interview was straightforward, no nonsense stuff. However, I haven't heard from them for over a week. I don't think I am a match after all. But overall, it was a good experience for me to get my feet wet again on the interview scene.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Netflix.

There was a phone interview initially for an hour with the hiring manager regarding educational and professional background.

Then the main onsite interview was scheduled for 3 hours with five different people interviewing me. There were two Engineering Manager, one senior software engineer and one Director of Product and finally a recruiter

Interview Questions
    • Design a movie recommendation algorithm when based on a social graph. Input given are social graph, what movies are seen by different people, their rating of each movie and overall rating of each movie. Then there were questions on how will weights be selected among friends' movies   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

There was an HR call followed by Hiring manager. Then there were two technical phone rounds scheduled back to back.
    In a binary search tree, find the most common ancestor. It was a pretty straight forward solution. Later on following by few generic technical question.
    In a multi threaded environment, write few code samples on synchronization.

Interview Questions
    • Write a code such to implement semaphores to implement the concept of synchronization in multi-threaded environment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix in July 2013.

Three telephone interviews, then a paid flight to Los Gatos. One HR general interview for cultural fit, 4 relatively tough technical interviews, then a break at lunch to see if they wanted to go further. 3 interviews after lunch, including one at the director's level dealing with high-level concerns ("who is Netflix's most dangerous competitor today and in 5 years?")

Interview Questions
    • Toughest were those that required industry knowledge, and good idea of the "space" in which the company is currently operating and wishes to in the future.   Answer Question
    Truly unbelievable salary offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Netflix in July 2013.

Recruiter called me. He set up my telephonic interview. It was pretty straightforward and I was called for Onsite interview. The interview went well and the response I got from team was as if they liked me but I didn't get an offer. Later on I came to know the position was filled by some internal candidate even before the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given two sets A & B, get unique elements from each set in an optimal way.
      Merge Sort
      Multithreading - How to run threads A,B and C in a sequence
        Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Netflix in May 2013.

Recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn. I followed up by email with my resume. They requested a phone call.

The phone call consisted of them verifying that I would be willing to relocate and consider a full-time position. There was no culture interview. No new information communicated beyond my resume. I got a minimal sales pitch that Netflix was awesome and paid well.

No follow up technical interview and it took an extra day to get back to me. Netflix contacted me. They had my resume for a week. Requested I prepare by looking through 150 slides, which I did. They took up at least an hour of my time. Meanwhile it was a complete waste for everyone involved. This would be no problem if I were sending my resume out. But they instigated all this, not me.

This is in contrast with Google (etc) who have been very professional, concise, positive and haven't wasted my time.