Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.1

Assistant Systems Modeling Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)).

Interview

After applying or the position, I was invited to complete an online assessment test within a month after I applied. Further 3 more weeks I was invited to a job interview. I have received my offer a month later after the interview and started after another 1.5 months. Overall, it took me 5 months until I started. But it's great working for Network Rail.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you demonstrated the ability to be an effective team member. Overcome problems (difficult situation). Tell us about a time you successfully promoted an idea on behalf of yourself or others.   Answer Question

Technician - Civils Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (Manchester, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

Excellent interview experience by the senior design engineer and a design engineer colleague with a professional but relaxed approach. They introduced me to examples of the range of work they deliver before asking me general questions on why I want to work for the company, what interests me about the role, followed by competency based questions and a technical based question. They explained the benefits of the company towards the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for network rail What interests you about the role Describe a situation on where you worked well under pressure What competences do you think are important for the role   Answer Question

Data Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied through the Network Rail website and was sent an email about three weeks later asking me to attend a panel interview at the Milton Keynes head office. I asked HR if they could tell me about the interview process via email but I got no reply so I accepted that and just went along to the interview having done my preparation as best as I could

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked in a team and what your role was in it? Describe a time when you met a deadline?   1 Answer

I didnt decline the offer as I write this the outcome is pending so time will tell

Lead HRBP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Ist interview went well and subsequently called for 2nd interview. Unfortunately( after 3 weeks) I have not heard ANYTHING back from either the Agency (to their credit they have been contacting NR on several occasions) nor did one on the interviewers reply when I contacted her via Linkedin asking for feedback. Complete waste of time and has obviously soured my opinion of them as an employer when they cannot manage the basics. Lucky escape?

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to role? How would you engage with senior stakeholders?   Answer Question

Network Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

CV submission and then a quick interview arrangement within two weeks, the process is very efficient and quick. the interviewer is very kind and friendly, the office in milton keynes is very large and full of stuff. a big company although i failed the interview finally..

Interview Questions

• competency based questions and a 15 minutes presentation about rail-related solution(pre-prepared so no need to worry).   Answer Question

Interview

After you pass the online psych test, there will be a video interview (web-cam based). It's around 20 mins long. You will be asked about some general questions and competency questions as well.

Interview Questions

• There are few competency questions. Like give us a time when you built a professional network, why you think it's important. How did you feel before/during/after that?   Answer Question

Business Support Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online, submitting my CV and a covering letter. I was interviewed by a panel of two: one of the interviewers would have been my line manager and there were no HR people present. It was a competency based interview but in a very loose sort of way. The interviewers were somewhat unprofessional. They disclosed that another two candidates from ‘up North’ had applied for the role and were prepared to relocate to Milton Keynes. They exposed office politics and spoke at length about the inefficiency of their IT, rolling their eyes and shaking their heads. When we reached the ‘Do you have any questions for us?’ stage, I asked about the budget size for the small department I would be running. The looked at looked at each other and gave me a couple of figures. However, everything about their body language and interaction suggested that they were guesstimating. I pressed them further and asked them whether those figures included annual licensing fees and subscription to certain software and online content products, as this would have made a significant difference to the level of resources available. Again they looked at each other and answered vaguely. At that point I sensed that may not be mutual interest in the role. I suppose, the fact that the job ad did not give a salary range should have been a giveaway, which I chose to ignore and I was punished accordingly and wasted time and money as a result.

Business Technology Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Application Form, Verbal and Numerical Reasoning tests, Video Interview, Assessment Centre and then shortly afterwards a final interview. The lengthy application process didn't contain too many surprises. Make sure that you have a few examples of good things that you have done ready for the video interview. It's quite unnerving talking to your laptop or tablet so having some ideas written down helps. The assessment centre was very relaxed and there are lots of people on the various graduate schemes to talk to. There was a business solutions exercise, followed by a related group role play discussion and finally a presentation. The final interview was competency based and you will need to be ready with a lot of examples for this. There's nothing too surprising but there were lots of questions for me and I ran out of things that I had prepared so make sure that you don't make the same mistake. I didn't hear that I had missed out for nearly 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What is going to be the most difficult thing for you if you were offered the role.   Answer Question

Graduate Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Birmingham, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

1 hour interview in Birmingham, I was invited to interview after the assessment centre. The assessment centre was fairly easy, with group task, presentation, in tray exercise etc. The interview had two people, one scheme project manager and on HR person. Both asked questions but put me at ease.

Interview Questions

• Competency based, questions asked on PM, projects I have led, my understanding of PM etc   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail in January 2015.

Interview

The online application process involves of a pre-screening test consisting of situational judgement questions where the applicant has to prioritise the answers in the way he thinks he would be more or less likely to react. If the test is completed succesfully, online numerical and logical tests follow (the provider of these tests is SHL). The next step is a video interview where you are asked questions like "why did you choose to apply for network rail", "what do you know about the rail industry" and others asking about previous experiences where you had to demonstrate your leadership, communication and team-working abilities.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the rail industry   1 Answer