Network Rail

Network Rail Advance Apprenticeship Scheme, Signilling Interview

Network Rail Advance Apprenticeship Scheme, Signilling

Interviewed at Network Rail

Interview Details – 3 stage process,
First stage, Online application- simple application but take your time and make sure all your answers are relevant and within the work count.

Second stage, Online competency Question, I process took around 20/25 minutes, each section having a strict time limit. Questions are based on numeracy, Reading and understanding and Analytical. Would be advised to get some practice of online competency before attempting the actual exam.

Final stage- Group/Face to Face interview. Mine was based in Manchester square one with 7 other potential applicants. The day is sub divided into;
Presentation, 20/25 minutes about the company and the scheme.
Administration, All your paper work and colour test.
Group activity, it will be timed, Mine was in a group of five and to plan and built a bridge that could hold a paper train on for 30 seconds. Make sure you listen to every ones ideas and keep a track on the time, Show your leadership skills without drowning anyone else.
Face to face interview with 2 senior Signalling engineers, about 4/5 competency questions and getting to know you questions. important to practice these before hand and be prepared to ask questions in the end.

Interview Question – Online competency questions and how fast the time runs out. Practice!   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not enough pay and better opportunity popped up somewhere else.

Band II Manager Role Interview

Band II Manager Role
London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Network Rail in March 2012.

Interview Details – All Network Rail interviews are strictly competency based. You will be asked for the following:
1) Brief overview of CV and how your experience / desires fit the role
2) Clear examples of how you have demonstrated some of the company leadership capabilities (normally 6). These are the standard corporate style capabilities... e..g. communicating; influencing; innovating; delivering; building teams; analysing; information searching
3) A small number of technical questions relating to the specific role

Interview Question – The technical questions obviously can be least expected but not if thought through carefully in advance - look at the role description

Competency questions now are from a pick list so each competency will have a few possible questions that address certain aspects of that competency. Come prepared with examples of how you meet the overall competency and then be prepared to adapt them at interview

Points are generally scored for using different and recent examples
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Internal candidate so very little opportunity to negotiate

Graduate Interview

Graduate
Coventry, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Network Rail in February 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my online application in December 2012, which was followed by online situational judgement test and then numerical and verbal reasoning tests. Following this, I was invited to the Graduate Assessment Centre as Westwood training Centre. This was an overnight stay, on the first night there was dinner anda preseentation. The second day consisted of a business case, 2:1 interview and group exercise. It was actually a really pleasant stay and I was made to feel very comfortable.

Interview Question – Business Case - not that difficult, but be prepared to think and have a good justification to your proposal   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No - fixed Graduate salary for the Graduate scheme

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

Interviewed at Network Rail

Interview Details – Initially applied in December, the application form was pretty bog standard

In January I undertook a work preferences test, was tasked with picking one statement out of four that described me the best. This test was very different to most of the SHL tests I have done before, it was pretty easy but there weren't any obvious answers.

didn't hear anything until march when I was invited to an assessment centre with two days notice.

Interview Question – Come up with a solution to a problem network rail faces, how viable is it?   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Network Rail in February 2014.

Interview Details – during the assessment day there was a challenge given to us, in which we had to come up with inventive ways of dealing with a certain problem, i.e. fly tipping on the tracks, we then had to make our best ideas into a presentation, which lasted for 5 mins. there was also a group exercise to do with how to allocate money appropriately.

Interview Question – why are you the best person for the job?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview Details – Online application followed by an online skills test which tested for verbal reasoning and maths skills. After this came a 1:1 interview.

Interview Question – I was mostly asked questions about what I knew about the company. There seemed to be limited focus on me and my past experience.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Network Rail in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Then there were a series of online tests. After completing them I went for an assessment centre.
The assessment centre had a technical interview, a personal interview, a writing exercise and a group exercise. It took about 6 hours all in.
They didn't offer to pay expenses for the interview which I thought was cheap. Some people came a long way and must have spent £100s to get there.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult really. The group exercise was challenging because some of the people seemed unlikely to get the job and weren't the easiest to work with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Crap, they wouldn't budge on salary.

Network Rail Apprentice/Signaling Interview

Network Rail Apprentice/Signaling
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Network Rail in April 2013.

Interview Details – the first process is the online application form. there is a facebook site that gives very good hints and tips, use them. i answered the 3 questions online and 2 weeks later i was asked to complete a situational Judgement test. the test are pretty easy once you practice.

after that stage i was asked to complete a basic numerical test, then a mechanical comprehension (just a test on mechanical principles based on pictures and diagrams). after this stage i went through to the diagrammatic online test (which was the hardest art of the stage in my opinion)

i was then invited to attend the assessment center. a very relaxed environment. i had to produce my exam certificates and ID. then i went on to do a one to one interview, where they asked me to give examples of different situations and show how competent i would be for my role. then a group exercise. there was 3 other people in my group, all applying for different roles in different areas. then i completed a paper test, they called it a technical understanding test. it was more of a verbal reasoning test. you are given a chapter to read and you answer the questions relating to the chapter. very easy

two weeks later i had a phone call saying i was accepted.

Interview Question – most difficult part was the online assessment period. i had to wait a week to see if i had made it through to the next stage. and the test were unexpectedly easy. i did not finish some and did not answer all of them correctly, but i still made it through. the last online test which is the diagrammatic test, was difficult to me as the shapes confused me somewhat, but i still managed to pass surprisingly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – a phone call telling me they would like to accept me on to their scheme. it was a conditional off, so as long as i meet the medical requirements.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Network Rail in March 2011.

Interview Details – "During my Application and interview process there were four key stages.
Application Form
Online SHL test
Telephone Interview & Assessment Day

I suggest to do plenty of SHL practice exercises and there are plenty of books available on such. Read through your application form thoroughly and ensure all spelling grammar and every detail is checked. Effort put into an application can easily be visible. If you are fortunate and skilled to get as far as the assessment day, It all rests on your performance on this day. A jam packed day starts with a 40 minute interview, followed by a group task. It is then finished off with a data/fact finding exercise and presentation with a paper SHL test squeezed in between. Not in that particular order. Be confident and be yourself and show what you are made of. Get noticed without showing off and you will be successful."

Interview Questions

• Tell me about when you lead a team and what was your contribution.What could I have done better if give the opportunity again.   Answer Question
  • What do you know about this company?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Network Rail in January 2010.

Interview Details – My interview was cancelled three times. the 3rd time the interview was held , i was interviewed by a senior manager and another junior project manager.
the questions were what i had anticipated mainly focussing on project management techniques in general. as the interview progressed , i ws asked questions about network rail's PM techniques.
i was also asked questions about the railway industry in general and also in regards to railway project management challenges in specific.

Interview Question – How would you resolve a major construction issue on site without jeopardising the time cost and qulity?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – the negotiation process was a breeze. i detailed what i had with my previous company and was offered 20% more.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Network Rail

Worked for Network Rail? Contribute to the Community!