Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

3.1

A Job Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woking, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woking, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Network Rail in February 2011.

Great

Trackman Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Network Rail in June 2008.

On the interview questions that were asked were what do you want to know about network rail? Why do you want to work for the comapny? Why should network rail employ me? What do you know about network rail? What projects do you know about network rail completing

Interview Questions

As i had better offers else where..

Scheme Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Network Rail in June 2009.

Very detailed process with alot of emphasis on project management and your ability to lead. Reviewed the company values and how you align yourself with them. Also, a scoring proceedure was required on the level of importance for each value. Technical competency was assessed including a quick scenario. A complete overhaul of your employment history was undertaken which included aligning your experiences to the requirements of the role.

Interview Questions
    • What particular skill set do you bring to the team   View Answer

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Network Rail in February 2013.

I submitted my online application in December 2012, which was followed by online situational judgement test and then numerical and verbal reasoning tests. Following this, I was invited to the Graduate Assessment Centre as Westwood training Centre. This was an overnight stay, on the first night there was dinner anda preseentation. The second day consisted of a business case, 2:1 interview and group exercise. It was actually a really pleasant stay and I was made to feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Business Case - not that difficult, but be prepared to think and have a good justification to your proposal   Answer Question
    No - fixed Graduate salary for the Graduate scheme

Band II Manager Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Network Rail in March 2012.

All Network Rail interviews are strictly competency based. You will be asked for the following:
    1) Brief overview of CV and how your experience / desires fit the role
    2) Clear examples of how you have demonstrated some of the company leadership capabilities (normally 6). These are the standard corporate style capabilities... e..g. communicating; influencing; innovating; delivering; building teams; analysing; information searching
    3) A small number of technical questions relating to the specific role

Interview Questions
    • The technical questions obviously can be least expected but not if thought through carefully in advance - look at the role description

Competency questions now are from a pick list so each competency will have a few possible questions that address certain aspects of that competency. Come prepared with examples of how you meet the overall competency and then be prepared to adapt them at interview

Points are generally scored for using different and recent examples
        Answer Question
    Internal candidate so very little opportunity to negotiate

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Network Rail.

I applied for a role in May 2014, and my application was acknowledged very quickly which I found impressive. I had a telephone interview within a week, and a face to face interview was set up promptly for 3 weeks later. All going well. I attended my interview and was advised that at the end of the interview that the panel wanted to 'move quickly' and would come back to me soon. Excellent :)

However, it went downhill from there.
    4 weeks after my interview I had heard nothing and despite several chasers, silence remained. Its now over three months since the interview and I have since heard through the grapevine the position has been filled. It would have been nice to have either been notified myself that I had been unsuccessful, or received feedback at the very least! My online application still shows 'interview arranged', it hasnt been moved forwards and closed off.

Poor, really poor and I would avoid applying there again and would advocate not applying to friends and colleagues.

Interview Questions
    • What are the next steps (asked to the panel!) Seemed impossible to get a straight answer..   Answer Question

Scheme Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Network Rail in January 2013.

In my view interviews are according to set procedure but the selection is based on non standard basis, which hiring manager can play with. Because if anybody asks feedback, always funny reply will come always.

Interview Questions
    • Standard Questions depends which function position belongs to.   Answer Question

Project Management MSC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Network Rail in April 2009.

1: Online assessment and competency questions as well as psychometric tests.
    2: Phone interview.
    3: Face to face interview with university and company staff where presentation by myself was also given.

No negotiation.

Graduate Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Network Rail in January 2011.

The first process is to fill the form online after which progresses to an online situational judgement test. The next stage is the assessment center consisting of numeric and verbal reasoning, 1:1 competency based interview, group exercise and business case study presentation. The business case consists of series of emails from online manager concerning two projects that the company intends to undertake.You will be expected to analysis the project and come up with the best project to undertake stating your reasons why.

Interview Questions
    • How do you ensure that you maintain good working relationships with your senior colleagues?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Network Rail.

Online application followed by an online skills test which tested for verbal reasoning and maths skills. After this came a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was mostly asked questions about what I knew about the company. There seemed to be limited focus on me and my past experience.   Answer Question