Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

3.1

Project Manager Interview

Initially applied in December, the application form was pretty bog standard

In January I undertook a work preferences test, was tasked with picking one statement out of four that described me the best. This test was very different to most of the SHL tests I have done before, it was pretty easy but there weren't any obvious answers.

didn't hear anything until march when I was invited to an assessment centre with two days notice.

Interview Questions
    • Come up with a solution to a problem network rail faces, how viable is it?   Answer Question

Network Rail Advance Apprenticeship Scheme, Signilling Interview

3 stage process,
    First stage, Online application- simple application but take your time and make sure all your answers are relevant and within the work count.

Second stage, Online competency Question, I process took around 20/25 minutes, each section having a strict time limit. Questions are based on numeracy, Reading and understanding and Analytical. Would be advised to get some practice of online competency before attempting the actual exam.

Final stage- Group/Face to Face interview. Mine was based in Manchester square one with 7 other potential applicants. The day is sub divided into;
    Presentation, 20/25 minutes about the company and the scheme.
    Administration, All your paper work and colour test.
    Group activity, it will be timed, Mine was in a group of five and to plan and built a bridge that could hold a paper train on for 30 seconds. Make sure you listen to every ones ideas and keep a track on the time, Show your leadership skills without drowning anyone else.
    Face to face interview with 2 senior Signalling engineers, about 4/5 competency questions and getting to know you questions. important to practice these before hand and be prepared to ask questions in the end.

Interview Questions
    • Online competency questions and how fast the time runs out. Practice!   Answer Question

Not enough pay and better opportunity popped up somewhere else.

Network Rail Apprentice/Signaling Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Network Rail in April 2013.

the first process is the online application form. there is a facebook site that gives very good hints and tips, use them. i answered the 3 questions online and 2 weeks later i was asked to complete a situational Judgement test. the test are pretty easy once you practice.

after that stage i was asked to complete a basic numerical test, then a mechanical comprehension (just a test on mechanical principles based on pictures and diagrams). after this stage i went through to the diagrammatic online test (which was the hardest art of the stage in my opinion)

i was then invited to attend the assessment center. a very relaxed environment. i had to produce my exam certificates and ID. then i went on to do a one to one interview, where they asked me to give examples of different situations and show how competent i would be for my role. then a group exercise. there was 3 other people in my group, all applying for different roles in different areas. then i completed a paper test, they called it a technical understanding test. it was more of a verbal reasoning test. you are given a chapter to read and you answer the questions relating to the chapter. very easy

two weeks later i had a phone call saying i was accepted.

Interview Questions
    • most difficult part was the online assessment period. i had to wait a week to see if i had made it through to the next stage. and the test were unexpectedly easy. i did not finish some and did not answer all of them correctly, but i still made it through. the last online test which is the diagrammatic test, was difficult to me as the shapes confused me somewhat, but i still managed to pass surprisingly.   Answer Question
    a phone call telling me they would like to accept me on to their scheme. it was a conditional off, so as long as i meet the medical requirements.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Network Rail in October 2012.

Applied online. Then there were a series of online tests. After completing them I went for an assessment centre.
    The assessment centre had a technical interview, a personal interview, a writing exercise and a group exercise. It took about 6 hours all in.
    They didn't offer to pay expenses for the interview which I thought was cheap. Some people came a long way and must have spent £100s to get there.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult really. The group exercise was challenging because some of the people seemed unlikely to get the job and weren't the easiest to work with.   Answer Question
    Crap, they wouldn't budge on salary.

Analyst Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Network Rail in December 2009.

Know your background and read your CV. The decision is political and if you are kept waiting for weeks and months, wait!

Project Management MSC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Network Rail in April 2009.

1: Online assessment and competency questions as well as psychometric tests.
    2: Phone interview.
    3: Face to face interview with university and company staff where presentation by myself was also given.

No negotiation.

Graduate Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Network Rail in January 2011.

The first process is to fill the form online after which progresses to an online situational judgement test. The next stage is the assessment center consisting of numeric and verbal reasoning, 1:1 competency based interview, group exercise and business case study presentation. The business case consists of series of emails from online manager concerning two projects that the company intends to undertake.You will be expected to analysis the project and come up with the best project to undertake stating your reasons why.

Interview Questions
    • How do you ensure that you maintain good working relationships with your senior colleagues?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Network Rail in October 2011.

Communication before the interview took place by e-mail.
    The interview itself was a 2 on 1 Panel format, consisting of the Project Manager and their assistant.
    Qs: Tell me about yourself, then 3 behavioural & 3 technical questions related to the role.
    Follow-up after the interview was slow.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenging project you worked on and how your contribution brought about success?   Answer Question

Scheme Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Network Rail in January 2011.

Job application, followed by acknowledgement, Call to attend an interview. Interview conducted as per Network Rail's interview process ( mostly personality based/ scenario based questions)
    Selection and then job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Run us through your experience   View Answer
    • Tell us a situation (project based) how did you manage/lead/controlled budget/people/programme etc   View Answer
    I did not negotiate, i had certain expectations about my salary and i stated the same. it wasn't offered fully but it was close to my expectations including some travel benefits

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Network Rail in January 2010.

My interview was cancelled three times. the 3rd time the interview was held , i was interviewed by a senior manager and another junior project manager.
    the questions were what i had anticipated mainly focussing on project management techniques in general. as the interview progressed , i ws asked questions about network rail's PM techniques.
    i was also asked questions about the railway industry in general and also in regards to railway project management challenges in specific.

Interview Questions
    • How would you resolve a major construction issue on site without jeopardising the time cost and qulity?   View Answer
    the negotiation process was a breeze. i detailed what i had with my previous company and was offered 20% more.