Network Rail Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

Interview

After you pass the online psych test, there will be a video interview (web-cam based). It's around 20 mins long. You will be asked about some general questions and competency questions as well.

Interview Questions

• There are few competency questions. Like give us a time when you built a professional network, why you think it's important. How did you feel before/during/after that?   Answer Question

Business Support Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online, submitting my CV and a covering letter.

I was interviewed by a panel of two: one of the interviewers would have been my line manager and there were no HR people present. It was a competency based interview but in a very loose sort of way. The interviewers were somewhat unprofessional. They disclosed that another two candidates from ‘up North’ had applied for the role and were prepared to relocate to Milton Keynes. They exposed office politics and spoke at length about the inefficiency of their IT, rolling their eyes and shaking their heads. When we reached the ‘Do you have any questions for us?’ stage, I asked about the budget size for the small department I would be running. The looked at looked at each other and gave me a couple of figures. However, everything about their body language and interaction suggested that they were guesstimating. I pressed them further and asked them whether those figures included annual licensing fees and subscription to certain software and online content products, as this would have made a significant difference to the level of resources available. Again they looked at each other and answered vaguely. At that point I sensed that may not be mutual interest in the role.

I suppose, the fact that the job ad did not give a salary range should have been a giveaway, which I chose to ignore and I was punished accordingly and wasted time and money as a result.

Business Technology Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Network Rail (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Application Form, Verbal and Numerical Reasoning tests, Video Interview, Assessment Centre and then shortly afterwards a final interview.

The lengthy application process didn't contain too many surprises. Make sure that you have a few examples of good things that you have done ready for the video interview. It's quite unnerving talking to your laptop or tablet so having some ideas written down helps. The assessment centre was very relaxed and there are lots of people on the various graduate schemes to talk to. There was a business solutions exercise, followed by a related group role play discussion and finally a presentation. The final interview was competency based and you will need to be ready with a lot of examples for this. There's nothing too surprising but there were lots of questions for me and I ran out of things that I had prepared so make sure that you don't make the same mistake. I didn't hear that I had missed out for nearly 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What is going to be the most difficult thing for you if you were offered the role.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Network Rail in January 2015.

Interview

The online application process involves of a pre-screening test consisting of situational judgement questions where the applicant has to prioritise the answers in the way he thinks he would be more or less likely to react. If the test is completed succesfully, online numerical and logical tests follow (the provider of these tests is SHL). The next step is a video interview where you are asked questions like "why did you choose to apply for network rail", "what do you know about the rail industry" and others asking about previous experiences where you had to demonstrate your leadership, communication and team-working abilities.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the rail industry   1 Answer

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Application, online tests, online interview, assessment centre. A pleasant experience all round, look forward to working in the company as a result. The assessment centre was the most challenging of these stages. I believe that the online interview is a new stage require for some applicants this year( 2014/2015).

Interview Questions

• Some questions require you to make sweeping assumptions   Answer Question

Scheme Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in January 2013.

Interview

In my view interviews are according to set procedure but the selection is based on non standard basis, which hiring manager can play with. Because if anybody asks feedback, always funny reply will come always.

Interview Questions

• Standard Questions depends which function position belongs to.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

I applied for a role in May 2014, and my application was acknowledged very quickly which I found impressive. I had a telephone interview within a week, and a face to face interview was set up promptly for 3 weeks later. All going well. I attended my interview and was advised that at the end of the interview that the panel wanted to 'move quickly' and would come back to me soon. Excellent :)

However, it went downhill from there.
    4 weeks after my interview I had heard nothing and despite several chasers, silence remained. Its now over three months since the interview and I have since heard through the grapevine the position has been filled. It would have been nice to have either been notified myself that I had been unsuccessful, or received feedback at the very least! My online application still shows 'interview arranged', it hasnt been moved forwards and closed off.

Poor, really poor and I would avoid applying there again and would advocate not applying to friends and colleagues.

Interview Questions

• What are the next steps (asked to the panel!) Seemed impossible to get a straight answer..   Answer Question

Interview

3 stage process,
    First stage, Online application- simple application but take your time and make sure all your answers are relevant and within the work count.

Second stage, Online competency Question, I process took around 20/25 minutes, each section having a strict time limit. Questions are based on numeracy, Reading and understanding and Analytical. Would be advised to get some practice of online competency before attempting the actual exam.

Final stage- Group/Face to Face interview. Mine was based in Manchester square one with 7 other potential applicants. The day is sub divided into;
    Presentation, 20/25 minutes about the company and the scheme.
    Administration, All your paper work and colour test.
    Group activity, it will be timed, Mine was in a group of five and to plan and built a bridge that could hold a paper train on for 30 seconds. Make sure you listen to every ones ideas and keep a track on the time, Show your leadership skills without drowning anyone else.
    Face to face interview with 2 senior Signalling engineers, about 4/5 competency questions and getting to know you questions. important to practice these before hand and be prepared to ask questions in the end.

Interview Questions

• Online competency questions and how fast the time runs out. Practice!   Answer Question

Not enough pay and better opportunity popped up somewhere else.

Band II Manager Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in March 2012.

Interview

All Network Rail interviews are strictly competency based. You will be asked for the following:
    1) Brief overview of CV and how your experience / desires fit the role
    2) Clear examples of how you have demonstrated some of the company leadership capabilities (normally 6). These are the standard corporate style capabilities... e..g. communicating; influencing; innovating; delivering; building teams; analysing; information searching
    3) A small number of technical questions relating to the specific role

Interview Questions

• The technical questions obviously can be least expected but not if thought through carefully in advance - look at the role description

Competency questions now are from a pick list so each competency will have a few possible questions that address certain aspects of that competency. Come prepared with examples of how you meet the overall competency and then be prepared to adapt them at interview

Points are generally scored for using different and recent examples

Answer Question

Negotiation

Internal candidate so very little opportunity to negotiate

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Network Rail (Coventry, England (UK)) in February 2013.

Interview

I submitted my online application in December 2012, which was followed by online situational judgement test and then numerical and verbal reasoning tests. Following this, I was invited to the Graduate Assessment Centre as Westwood training Centre. This was an overnight stay, on the first night there was dinner anda preseentation. The second day consisted of a business case, 2:1 interview and group exercise. It was actually a really pleasant stay and I was made to feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Business Case - not that difficult, but be prepared to think and have a good justification to your proposal   Answer Question

Negotiation

No - fixed Graduate salary for the Graduate scheme