New America Foundation Interview Questions

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at New America Foundation

Graphic Artist Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New America Foundation (Washington, DC) in June 2014.

Interview

First I was interviewed by an HR officer about my strongest points, my experience in non-profit organization, what I know about New America Foundation. Then I was interviwed by 3 techinal staff about my portfolio, why I moved to the Metro Area, some of my desktop publishing experience and HTML 5.

Interview Questions

• What is HTML 5? What is the difference between HTML 5 and other versions?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New America Foundation (Washington, DC) in July 2013.

Interview

Got to meet with some senior folks with national name recognition. Position was described to me in pretty unflattering terms - hard work, low pay - but that's typical for junior think-tank work, so no problem. It was a very quick session and they made it seem like they were very busy. Not many questions for me, I sort of had to drive the conversation. One unprofessional question was asked, basically about my personal financial status, which was a bit odd.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New America Foundation.

Interview

Applied after seeing post online. Advertised as paid, but position offered was unpaid. Between submission of cover letter and materials and first interview approximately 3 weeks had passed. Another week before offer was made.

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New America Foundation (Washington, DC) in May 2012.

Interview

I have interviewed for two different positions within a specific program at the New America Foundation. For the first position, I knew I wouldn't be the most qualified candidate, and as I expected, the phone interview was only mediocre. But at the end of the phone interview, I was assured twice that I would hear back within one week. Two weeks passed... nothing. I emailed the interviewer and didn't hear back. Two more weeks.... nothing. I emailed once more and didn't hear back. Three months later I saw another position posted for which I was well qualified. Shortly after applying, I was contacted and we setup a phone interview. The interview went well, lasted for an hour, and during it, the interviewer spoke of bringing me in for 3-4 one-hour interviews, said he could see us working together, and assured me that we would speak soon. Two weeks pass... nothing. I emailed him and he said he had been busy because he had to leave the country for work (for one week), but he hoped to get in touch when he returned. I told him I understood and looked forward to talking more. He responded on the same day asking if I had applied for any other jobs within the program because we had a good interview and he would pass it along (which startled me, and in hindsight I should have known). Almost three weeks pass after this... nothing. I email him, and later that day he told me the position had been filled, but he had forwarded my resume internally and spoke of our phone interview. TL;DR: I was lead on twice. My emails to the first interviewer were ignored despite reassurance that I would hear back. The second interviewer at least responded to me and told me the position was filled, but it was well over a month after the first interview and after he had spoke of me coming in for a full day of interviews. I'm enthusiastic about one of their programs and hope to make my career in the field, but my two encounters with the organization have left a very negative impression.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New America Foundation.

Interview

The whole process took about two months from application to the second round interview. At first we spoke on the phone because I was unable to come to the D.C. office, then there was a writing test and then a final in-person interview. Everyone I met with was very friendly. They did not ask difficult questions - in fact they left the question-asking entirely up to me.

Program Associate Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at New America Foundation.

Interview

The interview process was very long and drawn out. Went back several times to talk to several different staff members and was never quite sure why. The people I talked to were all great and had great conversations, but it seemed like a lot of interviews for a pretty low-level job.

Interview Questions

• Nothing much, just a lot about the subject area and why i wanted to work there.   Answer Question