New Mexico State University Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

2.7

Resident Director Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New Mexico State University.

Interview

I had a phone interview and two Skype interviews. I was then invited to campus. The on-campus was a day long interview. They housing me in a residence hall they were about ready to shut down for good. Process was very smooth and moved very quickly. They kept me informed of their process the entire time. Very helpful when I had questions.

Interview Questions

• The student staff asked this question: Red or Green? It is a reference to the type of chili pepper you like most.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated, but they were unable to offer me anything. 31,000 is what they offer, 31,000 is what you will get. They will not help you out with anything. I tried to get moving expenses, that too was a no go.

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, NM

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at New Mexico State University (Las Cruces, NM).

Interview

Contacted one of the lead engineers in the department I wanted to work in, they led me to another engineer who was looking to replace the current student who was graduating. Sent a resume, the engineer called me to set up an in-person "casual" interview at their building just to make sure I could communicate to others and would fit into the culture. While touring the department, staff repeatedly asked me when I started (as if I had already been offered the job), by the end of the interview I was offered on the spot. Coming in seemed to just by a formality to see if I could work there and if I wanted to work there. Everything was very casual. Had to bring an ID to sign into the secure building for the interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New Mexico State University.

Interview

I contacted the supervisor by email about the job, which I found online advertisement. The supervisor contacted me in a day or so by email, and we set up for the phone interview in few days. After the interview, I officially applied though NMSU online application system. After they got all the necessary documents from me, I got offer letter. the entire process took about 3 weeks.

Negotiation

not much negotiation

Extension Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at New Mexico State University.

Interview

Extension (outreach) plan presentation, which was followed by Q& A about anything. Extension Dean was also present. There were greet and meet with other faculty members and professionals. One-to-one interviews with Department Head and Extension Dean. Oh! And there was lunch with faculty and county agents (faculty). Everyone was nice.

Interview Questions

• Experience dealing with diversity audience? What do you do when county agents or faculty do not contact you for programs?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The Department Head called within a week after the interview. I called back with a higher salary demand and just agreed with what she had offered.

Math Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New Mexico State University.

Interview

The hiring process was very simple. I went in and showed my schedule to the coordinator and received an email a few weeks later with a job offer. It's best to go in person aside from simply applying online

Social Media Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New Mexico State University (Las Cruces, NM) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied using an online database. I got a call telling me I was selected to be interview for the position and to call back. Then we schedule the interview for next week and 5 members of the Career Services Office were involved in the interview process. I showed some of my work samples and explain it to them. Finally I received a call and an email telling me that if I were interested about the position.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, NM

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at New Mexico State University (Las Cruces, NM) in July 2010.

Interview

This position is based on your undergrad GPA and "personal connections". Many accepted graduate students are mislead into believing they will be given consideration for a position after they commit but are often not offered such hours.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not applicable

Drafting Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at New Mexico State University (Las Cruces, NM) in January 2010.

Interview

Great experience, good people and a honest assessment. The interview knew what questions to ask to find the best person for the job. When it came to the drafting test, he knew exactly how to administer it.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in ten years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at New Mexico State University (Las Cruces, NM) in March 2009.

Interview

Professional and no surprises. It was pretty straightforward. They were mostly interested in technical skills - the ones specific to the job. I got the impression that they preferred an exact skillset over the best person for the job concept.

The phone interview was very straight forward. They didn't plan it in advance but they were only looking to make sure you met the basic requirements and were setting up an on site interview later.

Extension Specialist (Tenure Track) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New Mexico State University.

Interview

First day: Morning - Presentation on your work and its challenges in NM. Lunch with County Agents and other Extension Specialist. Interviews throughout the day with Extension Dean, Department Head, and Search Committee Head plus a meet with other staff. Dinner with Department Head, another faculty, and a spouse in a very nice NM restaurant. Was offered a second day stay to look at houses but declined.

Interview Questions

• None that I can remember. They made the interview process and questions very comfortable.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Over the phone. The Department Head was very willing to take the call.