New Relic

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Interview

Marketing
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at New Relic.

Interview Details – Started the interview process a couple months ago and never heard back, even after the proactive and eloquent follow up. Had multiple interviews and internal referral and still haven't heard about next steps. I've been interviewing a bit lately and find that it's consistent in the Bay Area for company's to provide input or communication on next steps after an interview, regardless of an offer. I've heard great things about the company and felt the interview process was fairly organized but not sure how or if I'll hear about next steps, not even a "thank you but we've decided to extend our search email"...

Interview Question – The interview questions were good and relevant, not too difficult or unexpected, but definitely not easy. Came in several times and met with several people. Good vibe there.   Answer Question

New Relic VP, People responded to this review

Jun 23, 2014

Candidate - Please let me know directly if you still haven't heard back from us. We try to get back to everyone promptly, within two days of any action at our end. If we haven't closed the loop ... More

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New Relic in January 2014.

Interview Details – Heroku challenge -> TSE manager phone call -> TSE phone call -> In office interview. In-office was with ~6 people, half managers, half TSE's. Very mellow, lunch was on them. About half an hour per person, made for a pretty lengthy day, but easily handled, especially for somone considering this position. Communication was quick between myself and hiring manager. Hiring manager responded very poorly to negotiations, seller's market apparently.

Interview Question – None, pretty straight forward interview, not very technical.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was made, terms were poor, negotiations were unsuccessful. I found the rigidity during negotiations to be very off-putting. Be warned.

Very Difficult Interview

Director, Customer Success Interview

Director, Customer Success
San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at New Relic in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online via the New Relic website. I was contacted via e-mail the same day and had a phone interview with a recruiter within a day or two. Following that, I had a telephone interview with the VP of Customer Success. The phone interview was very much a two way communication and I had the opportunity to discuss my qualifications and highlight the skills I thought made me a competitive candidate. I was asked some probing questions and allowed to ask questions of the interviewer so that I could learn more about the position and the company. Next I was invited back for an interview in person. I interviewed again with the Vice President of Customer Success and two other executives.

I was treated with respect and very much enjoyed my time discussing my experience and the prospective role at New Relic. I have to admit that I was asked some tough questions, but they made me think more in depth about my experience and how I would handle some hypothetical situations. Everyone I interviewed with was engaging and I felt they took a genuine interest in me as a person and that they valued my time. The Vice President took the time to explain the details of the role and allowed me to ask as many questions as I wanted, and didn't look at the clock. I felt he made an investment of time and made the company and the role sound challenging and rewarding. This is definitely the kind of place that I'd like to work.

I received a personal note of follow up by the Vice President and have been kept well informed about the hiring process. While I ultimately did not get a job offer, I will definitely apply again for another opportunity.

Interview Question – I think the most difficult question was when I was asked to explain as much as I could about the company's technology and my strategy for driving adoption with customers. I studied as much as I could about the company and apm technology but was not sure my answers were on point.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Multiple, Senior Engineer Level Interview

Multiple, Senior Engineer Level
Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New Relic in April 2014.

Interview Details – After an email introduction with I believe their Engineering Manager, I talked with one of the product leads for an hour, had coffee with the Eng Manager, and was given a list of positions I for consideration. I picked two that sounded interesting, and the interview was with a cross-section of people across the company for an hour each. It was mostly conversational, one with actual coding, a lot of discussions about Service Oriented Architecture and what constitutes good OO design. It became clear over the course of the day that their main problem right now is combatting legacy technical debt and they're looking for people to work on tightly-focused problems, which is not appealing to me at all.

Interview Question – I didn't think any of it was -that- difficult.   Answer Question

Director, IT Operations Interview

Director, IT Operations
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New Relic in March 2014.

Interview Details – New Relic's hiring process was by far the most enjoyable and seamless I have ever experienced. From start to finish everything went like clockwork and throughout the 7 interviews everyone was genuinely engaged.

Interview Question – Describe how you handle stressful and difficult situations.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer
Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New Relic in November 2012.

Interview Details – Multiphase interview

Step 1 phone call with recruiter
Step 2 phone call with manager
Step 3 Sample support question
Step 4 phone call with current TSE to evaluate technical competence
Step 5 Half day of interviews on site, 30 minutes each with many people. They bought me lunch from some awesome food cart!

Interview Question – During tech screen, the interviewer asked me how many phone books were in New York city. I was completely caught off guard by this question.   Answer Question

Rails/Javascript Applications Engineer Interview

Rails/Javascript Applications Engineer
Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at New Relic in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend. I was contacted pretty shortly after submitting my application. I did a phone interview with one of the engineering managers. Within a couple of days I was asked to complete a technical exercise which took a couple hours to complete. A few days after that I was asked to schedule on-site interviews. I met with about four or five different team members. Each interview focused on a different skill and was very conversational. I found it enjoyable to talk with each team member.

About a week later I provided with some feedback regarding my interview. I was told that I had interviewed well, but there was some uncertainty regarding how I'd factor into the team composition. Some areas of experience that were not touched on during the interviewing was in question. It took a little over a week to be told that they had found a place for me within the team.

I was told that a recruiter would be in contact with me and provide an offer within a day or two. It is important to note that overall the recruiter was extremely brief with me. His longest email consisted of ten words which included his full name. The recruiter failed to contact me within the timeframe. When he did contact me, he asked me to provide some background on my past compensation. He said that he would have an offer for me by the end of the day. I did not hear back from him until the next day when he asked for the same exact information again. He said that he would call me back in thirty minutes, but he did not make any attempt to contact me. I emailed him in the late afternoon the next day asking for developments. He then asked me to call him because he had offer details. I later sent him an email with some questions and concerns. He replied with "Call me", but I was working at the time and wanted to wait until I had time to talk. The recruiter proceeded to call me shortly after. I then emailed him asking to instead reply to me via email since I was busy. He never responded. When I called him he said he'd have to speak to the engineering manager.

When I spoke with the engineering manager, I was told that the offer I was given was pretty firm and that I would have to take the cut of compensation and rank. I was given a weekend to review my official offer even though the date on it showed it was completed days before I was given it.

Interview Question – Nothing from the interview really came out of left field. It was very conversational.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered less than my current compensation and competing offers. The hiring experience left me feeling like the organization was unsure of their own decisions.

Sales - Account Manager Interview

Sales - Account Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New Relic in January 2014.

Interview Details – Process was odd, called in to interview more than one time, they would cancel at the last minute. The HR rep did not know who I had interviewed with ... was finally given a verbal offer and told I would receive the written offer in a day or two. The written offer never came and no one has returned my calls for weeks now. Good thing I did not leave my present job based on their verbal!

Interview Question – They were very focused on the enterprise sales side and clearly had no idea what they were doing in that space, only that to reach their IPO they needed to have an enterprise strategy. It was concerning that they were selling enterprise but had zero infrastructure to manage it and even less from a customer support perspective. Based on my experience I would tell anyone interview to expect little and get even less out of New Relic.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Received a verbal offer and then did not hear back from them, would not work there based on the concerns I had during the process

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Portland, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New Relic in January 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewing at New Relic was the best interview experience I've had. I've interviewed at Microsoft and Google, and in both of those cases I felt like I was an inconvenience. At New Relic I felt all of the positive feedback I read about them on Glassdoor: a group of smart, upbeat individuals with a clear team mentality and personal investment in the company. People were polite, engaging, and very conversational in their approach, taking some time to get to know me to see if I would be a good fit. The interview was tough though; don't be fooled. Seven and a half hours meeting with eight different people is pretty intense, but at the same time it didn't feel repetitive. If anything meeting with that many people gave me some solid perspective on the different areas and concerns of the company, from operations to testing to development to client integrations. New Relic is a company I'm truly excited about, but unfortunately I wasn't able to accept an offer at the present time due to other general life complications.

Interview Question – I was asked some fairly deep questions about SSL in regard to scaling that I was completely unprepared for. I don't want to go into more detail than that because this question would reveal technical details about their business that I don't feel are appropriate to disclose here.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – There are other factors going on in my life right now that are preventing me from relocating. I'm hopeful I can join their team in the near future.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at New Relic in August 2013.

Interview Details – Full day of one-hour, 1:1 interviews. Each interviewer was friendly, positive, engaging, and challenging, while keeping the process fun and casual. Two interviews focused on white-boarding application design; two interviews focused on test-driven pair programming. Interviewing at New Relic was an extremely positive, enjoyable, and helpful experience for me, even though I didn't get an offer! They decided to hire someone else for the particular position, but they then tried hard to find a position that would be a good fit for me. They made it clear how I did in the interviews and why I didn't get an offer.

There was one slight unclear communication (which would not have affected whether I was given an offer); I had a chance to give feedback on that and they were grateful for my take on the process.

One of the interviewers recommended a couple of books for me. I'm half way through the first one (POODR) already, and it's an eye-opener that has already made me better at object-oriented design.

My interview was scheduled 3 weeks out, so I spent a lot of time preparing, and I suggest you do the same. I'd also suggest asking what kind of things you should be reviewing to prepare. My process was a bit drawn out (almost another 3 weeks after the interview), but this was due to them trying to find an alternative position for me. Though that didn't work out, they said I have very good feedback in their interview system, so there's an open door in the future. They also worked hard to make the post-interview process as quick as possible.

My impressions: They hire very carefully and as such, the company's full of very smart, respectful and mature people. Everyone seemed genuinely happen to work there. If only all tech companies were like this!

Interview Question – An object-oriented design question definitely threw me, about two class hierarchies: one of foods, one of animals. The catch: A certain animal can also be a food (to a certain other animal). I'm still thinking about the best answer.   Answer Question

Worked for New Relic? Contribute to the Community!