New Relic

Updated Feb 27, 2015
Updated Feb 27, 2015

2.9

Sales Role Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New Relic.

Multiple interviews with management, team members and peers. Everyone was professional and friendly. After multiple interviews and positive feedback all I got from New Relic was an automated message informing me that I didn't get the job. Felt like garbage thrown out. Not a call from the hiring manager, not a note, nothing. Automated message. Disappointing end to a decent experience.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at New Relic.

Submitted an application, was contacted to interview the next day.

Phone screen was simple and straight forward, job description and role was a bit vague. She said would followup on a next round of interviews. Didn't say it was another phone or in person interview. Also had me do a "homework" assignment, which I spent a lot of time on and submitted within a few days. Recruiter doesn't respond immediately.

Almost a week and a half goes by and no word. Then invited to come on site, at this point, I still don't have much of a clue of what the job or role is. The coordinator is extremely disorganized, didn't find out who I was interviewing with or time i was supposed to come till the day before the interview.

Come on site, meet with the hiring manager. Got really negative vibes on his management style and seems his agenda for us organization is still not clearly defined. Met with a development manager, immediately talked about disfunction in the organization and the "high turnover" of his team, but did talk about the equity he has in the company. Met with a colleague, and he talks about the lack of process, disorganization and chaos of the org. To top it off, they didn't review or even ask about my "homework assignment", definitely a total waste of time.

After the interview was done, recruiter didn't bother to meet with me or even follow up (only until I got the rejection)

Overall, lots of red flags and unhappy employees. The recruiting team and interviewers needs to do a better job organizing and getting me excited about the job. Didn't get an offer, but wasn't bummed since it was hard to feel enthusiastic about such a negative work environment.

Director, People & Organizational Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New Relic.

I was very impressed with how quickly the initial phone screen interview was set up (within one week); and the follow up phone interview with the hiring manager one week later. In person interviews were scheduled one week later and took place two weeks after the initial phone interview with the hiring manager. The in person interview was a bit discombobulated. I was taken into a hot, small conf. room and then told my initial interview would be via skype. However, the coordinator could not get her computer to synch with the recruiter who had gone home early for the day. Apparently he hadn't updated some new software that would allow us to connect. Finally, we connected on the phone and we talked for no more than 5 minutes and he asked me to come back into the office the following Monday for coffee or lunch. I was happy to agree. I then met with a Director peer on the team and the hiring manager. I felt that both the interviews went very well and was happy that the VP indicated that I would be moving onto one final round of interviews. I again took time off of work and went back the following Monday to meet the recruiter. He met me at reception and had his coffee with him and nothing else. We went to their cafeteria/lounge. He asked for a copy of my resume, and then reviewed it, on the spot and apparently for the first time. He asked a couple simple questions, and then said based on my background he would make the recommendation that I move forward in the process. I was back out in front of the building in under 15 minutes. Although the meeting was unorthodox at best, I was glad I made the trip because I was apparently moving forward in the process. Then the waiting began. The hiring manager had indicated that they wanted to be done with offer out within the following two weeks, tops. I didn't hear back, and finally after a week and a half passed, I followed up with an email (no response.) Then, two weeks after my return to meet with the recruiter, I was delivered the "thanks but no thanks" standard turn down email. At this point I expected the "turn down" would have been more personalized, acknowledged my effort; apologized for me having to come back, anything specific to my situation given the expectations that were set and come from the hiring manager. Over one month later, my follow up email to ask for feedback on the interview experience remains unanswered.

Senior UI/Visual Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New Relic.

I applied online and heard from a recruiter until 3 weeks later. I had a relatively standard phone screen with the recruiter, however, when I declined to reveal my current salary, she said "we'll find out anyway in the background check" which I found a little strange.

After that I had a phone interview with the hiring manager and then an entire day on-site interview with team members. Some interviews are on skype/video conference which was a bit disconcerting. The questions asked were about medium difficultly, though it seemed they were looking for some very specific answers.

I liked the team a lot, they seem to enjoy their jobs and where they work and it seems like a friendly environment. I got a canned response from the recruiter afterwards saying they decided to go with a different candidate. I tried to follow up politely asking for feedback but haven't heard anything back.

After the initial contact from the recruiter, the process took about 4 weeks.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New Relic in September 2014.

First phone interview followed by coding exercise and then in person interview. You can sense that no interviewer is not really into interview. The coding exercise they will give you after phone interview won't be even checked (they will ask you to upload the code on github). HR is interested in finding out how much would you accept without describing total package. The options are really not worth it as there is no trike price in the contract.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at New Relic.

It is useless process. First a manager will call you and then he will send you a coding excercise and you'll have a week the submit the excercise. Before you submit the excercise, they will call you for interview.
    I had 5 interviewers first one was yawning all the time as if he was not interested. The same manager will interview and few engineers will interview.

Nothing chellanging you'd feel that this is just a process they are going through. Don't waste your time it seems like team at new relic either have candidate selected or they might be just fishing around.

Interview Questions
    • It was from the recruiter how much would be your limit when you'll accept the offer?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New Relic in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call couple weeks later. It was pre-screen and scheduled phone interview with the hiring manager.

Phone interview with the hiring manager was pretty basic with questions like what technologies you are working on etc. Manager explained what the position is and the work environment. He later said he will send the coding challenge for me to complete. It was pretty simple API generation challenge which I finished in couple days and sent it to him with all the app details and documentation.

I had analytics setup on my app so that I can see who and how its getting used. I had no views on my app and couple days later received email saying "We decided to pursue other candidates". So if they had already selected the candidate, why even waste my time with that coding challenge and phone call.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at New Relic.

Started the interview process a couple months ago and never heard back, even after the proactive and eloquent follow up. Had multiple interviews and internal referral and still haven't heard about next steps. I've been interviewing a bit lately and find that it's consistent in the Bay Area for company's to provide input or communication on next steps after an interview, regardless of an offer. I've heard great things about the company and felt the interview process was fairly organized but not sure how or if I'll hear about next steps, not even a "thank you but we've decided to extend our search email"...

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were good and relevant, not too difficult or unexpected, but definitely not easy. Came in several times and met with several people. Good vibe there.   Answer Question

New Relic Response

Jun 23, 2014VP, People

Candidate - Please let me know directly if you still haven't heard back from us. We try to get back to everyone promptly, within two days of any action at our end. If we haven't closed the loop ... More

Multiple, Senior Engineer Level Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New Relic in April 2014.

After an email introduction with I believe their Engineering Manager, I talked with one of the product leads for an hour, had coffee with the Eng Manager, and was given a list of positions I for consideration. I picked two that sounded interesting, and the interview was with a cross-section of people across the company for an hour each. It was mostly conversational, one with actual coding, a lot of discussions about Service Oriented Architecture and what constitutes good OO design. It became clear over the course of the day that their main problem right now is combatting legacy technical debt and they're looking for people to work on tightly-focused problems, which is not appealing to me at all.

Director, Customer Success Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at New Relic in April 2014.

I applied online via the New Relic website. I was contacted via e-mail the same day and had a phone interview with a recruiter within a day or two. Following that, I had a telephone interview with the VP of Customer Success. The phone interview was very much a two way communication and I had the opportunity to discuss my qualifications and highlight the skills I thought made me a competitive candidate. I was asked some probing questions and allowed to ask questions of the interviewer so that I could learn more about the position and the company. Next I was invited back for an interview in person. I interviewed again with the Vice President of Customer Success and two other executives.

I was treated with respect and very much enjoyed my time discussing my experience and the prospective role at New Relic. I have to admit that I was asked some tough questions, but they made me think more in depth about my experience and how I would handle some hypothetical situations. Everyone I interviewed with was engaging and I felt they took a genuine interest in me as a person and that they valued my time. The Vice President took the time to explain the details of the role and allowed me to ask as many questions as I wanted, and didn't look at the clock. I felt he made an investment of time and made the company and the role sound challenging and rewarding. This is definitely the kind of place that I'd like to work.

I received a personal note of follow up by the Vice President and have been kept well informed about the hiring process. While I ultimately did not get a job offer, I will definitely apply again for another opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult question was when I was asked to explain as much as I could about the company's technology and my strategy for driving adoption with customers. I studied as much as I could about the company and apm technology but was not sure my answers were on point.   Answer Question