New Relic Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jun 26, 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1. phone conversation with a recruiter and a manager
    2. take home project
    3. onsite interview with 5 interviewers

It took me a while to complete the interview process (take home project and other interviews). But the process is well organized and the recruiter did a great job to follow up

Customer Success Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The recruiter contacted initially and explained the position. I was setup for a phone conversation with a Sr Solution Architect. Our conversation was about the role and the company in general. It was a great call and ended with a positive vibe.
    I got a canned rejection email from the recruiter without any feedback.

After few weeks I applied for another position at New Relic. The same recruiter contacted me again. A phone call was setup where she told me that during my conversation with the Solution Architect I expressed interest in pre-sales. So I am assuming that was the reason for rejection in the first place.
    A couple of days after my conversation with the recruiter, I again get the same canned rejection email.

I don't understand what went wrong. The recruiter should have provided some feedback as I don't see a reason for rejection especially for the second pre sales position.

I tried to email her back but probably she closed the application on Jobvite as soon as she sent out the rejection.

Very disorganized, no respect for the candidate interviewing for the company. I still believe in New Relic as a company but they should really work on their hiring process.

Interview Questions

• previous experience and general questions related to the role.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard interview process. Got contacted by a recruiter, he felt my profile was good match for the PM role. Next step was a phone interview with hiring manager.

This turned out to be an internal PM role. Lot of ambiguity around goals and responsibilities. Had a 'homework' to complete which had essay questions about PM practice.

Seemed more like a technical project manager/architect role not aligned with my experience.

Interview Questions

• SQL queries, technology preference, solution design, user interaction questions   Answer Question

Director, People & Organizational Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Many phone screens and emails back and forth. Spoke only with one person the entire time, who was not even affiliated with the organization. She was a retained consultant who was doing the job of Director, People & Organizational Development for New Relic. Her role was to "find" a candidate to fill this role, because she had a large customer base of other clients and companies. After speaking and emailing with her many times, I found out that they had 2 candidates that were at the end stage of being offered employment. What I find strange is the fact that this job was posted, then reposted, and then posted again. I was happy they did not waste much of my time as listed in one of the other reviews on this site.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to send multiple samples of work products to prove my credentials   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Submitted an application, was contacted to interview the next day.

Phone screen was simple and straight forward, job description and role was a bit vague. She said would followup on a next round of interviews. Didn't say it was another phone or in person interview. Also had me do a "homework" assignment, which I spent a lot of time on and submitted within a few days. Recruiter doesn't respond immediately.

Almost a week and a half goes by and no word. Then invited to come on site, at this point, I still don't have much of a clue of what the job or role is. The coordinator is extremely disorganized, didn't find out who I was interviewing with or time i was supposed to come till the day before the interview.

Come on site, meet with the hiring manager. Got really negative vibes on his management style and seems his agenda for us organization is still not clearly defined. Met with a development manager, immediately talked about disfunction in the organization and the "high turnover" of his team, but did talk about the equity he has in the company. Met with a colleague, and he talks about the lack of process, disorganization and chaos of the org. To top it off, they didn't review or even ask about my "homework assignment", definitely a total waste of time.

After the interview was done, recruiter didn't bother to meet with me or even follow up (only until I got the rejection)

Overall, lots of red flags and unhappy employees. The recruiting team and interviewers needs to do a better job organizing and getting me excited about the job. Didn't get an offer, but wasn't bummed since it was hard to feel enthusiastic about such a negative work environment.

Director, People & Organizational Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was very impressed with how quickly the initial phone screen interview was set up (within one week); and the follow up phone interview with the hiring manager one week later. In person interviews were scheduled one week later and took place two weeks after the initial phone interview with the hiring manager. The in person interview was a bit discombobulated. I was taken into a hot, small conf. room and then told my initial interview would be via skype. However, the coordinator could not get her computer to synch with the recruiter who had gone home early for the day. Apparently he hadn't updated some new software that would allow us to connect. Finally, we connected on the phone and we talked for no more than 5 minutes and he asked me to come back into the office the following Monday for coffee or lunch. I was happy to agree. I then met with a Director peer on the team and the hiring manager. I felt that both the interviews went very well and was happy that the VP indicated that I would be moving onto one final round of interviews. I again took time off of work and went back the following Monday to meet the recruiter. He met me at reception and had his coffee with him and nothing else. We went to their cafeteria/lounge. He asked for a copy of my resume, and then reviewed it, on the spot and apparently for the first time. He asked a couple simple questions, and then said based on my background he would make the recommendation that I move forward in the process. I was back out in front of the building in under 15 minutes. Although the meeting was unorthodox at best, I was glad I made the trip because I was apparently moving forward in the process. Then the waiting began. The hiring manager had indicated that they wanted to be done with offer out within the following two weeks, tops. I didn't hear back, and finally after a week and a half passed, I followed up with an email (no response.) Then, two weeks after my return to meet with the recruiter, I was delivered the "thanks but no thanks" standard turn down email. At this point I expected the "turn down" would have been more personalized, acknowledged my effort; apologized for me having to come back, anything specific to my situation given the expectations that were set and come from the hiring manager. Over one month later, my follow up email to ask for feedback on the interview experience remains unanswered.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

First phone interview followed by coding exercise and then in person interview. You can sense that no interviewer is not really into interview. The coding exercise they will give you after phone interview won't be even checked (they will ask you to upload the code on github). HR is interested in finding out how much would you accept without describing total package. The options are really not worth it as there is no trike price in the contract.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Phone screen, homework exercise and then 5 individual interviews over Skype scheduled over 3 days. Then one final interview with the director, also over Skype. The interviews were very not very technical. There were plenty of opportunities for me to ask questions. I got the impression they were more interested in assessing how you would fit into the company and your enthusiasm than technical ability. The majority of the interviewers were very friendly and made the process very relaxed and enjoyable.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't really room to negotiate. I joined before the IPO and couldn't find out my strike price until after I joined.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Started the interview process a couple months ago and never heard back, even after the proactive and eloquent follow up. Had multiple interviews and internal referral and still haven't heard about next steps. I've been interviewing a bit lately and find that it's consistent in the Bay Area for company's to provide input or communication on next steps after an interview, regardless of an offer. I've heard great things about the company and felt the interview process was fairly organized but not sure how or if I'll hear about next steps, not even a "thank you but we've decided to extend our search email"...

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were good and relevant, not too difficult or unexpected, but definitely not easy. Came in several times and met with several people. Good vibe there.   Answer Question

New Relic Response

Jun 23, 2014VP, People

Candidate - Please let me know directly if you still haven't heard back from us. We try to get back to everyone promptly, within two days of any action at our end. If we haven't closed the loop ... More

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

There was 3 rounds of interview. First the HR contacted, then the senior staff from my department contacted. Then I was interviewed in person. The interview was primarily focussed on real life situations, i.e. problem solving. Few questions were also directed to see how compatible I would be with the team.