New Relic

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Interview

Marketing
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at New Relic.

Interview Details – Started the interview process a couple months ago and never heard back, even after the proactive and eloquent follow up. Had multiple interviews and internal referral and still haven't heard about next steps. I've been interviewing a bit lately and find that it's consistent in the Bay Area for company's to provide input or communication on next steps after an interview, regardless of an offer. I've heard great things about the company and felt the interview process was fairly organized but not sure how or if I'll hear about next steps, not even a "thank you but we've decided to extend our search email"...

Interview Question – The interview questions were good and relevant, not too difficult or unexpected, but definitely not easy. Came in several times and met with several people. Good vibe there.   Answer Question

New Relic VP, People responded to this review

Jun 23, 2014

Candidate - Please let me know directly if you still haven't heard back from us. We try to get back to everyone promptly, within two days of any action at our end. If we haven't closed the loop ... More

Very Difficult Interview

Director, Customer Success Interview

Director, Customer Success
San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at New Relic in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online via the New Relic website. I was contacted via e-mail the same day and had a phone interview with a recruiter within a day or two. Following that, I had a telephone interview with the VP of Customer Success. The phone interview was very much a two way communication and I had the opportunity to discuss my qualifications and highlight the skills I thought made me a competitive candidate. I was asked some probing questions and allowed to ask questions of the interviewer so that I could learn more about the position and the company. Next I was invited back for an interview in person. I interviewed again with the Vice President of Customer Success and two other executives.

I was treated with respect and very much enjoyed my time discussing my experience and the prospective role at New Relic. I have to admit that I was asked some tough questions, but they made me think more in depth about my experience and how I would handle some hypothetical situations. Everyone I interviewed with was engaging and I felt they took a genuine interest in me as a person and that they valued my time. The Vice President took the time to explain the details of the role and allowed me to ask as many questions as I wanted, and didn't look at the clock. I felt he made an investment of time and made the company and the role sound challenging and rewarding. This is definitely the kind of place that I'd like to work.

I received a personal note of follow up by the Vice President and have been kept well informed about the hiring process. While I ultimately did not get a job offer, I will definitely apply again for another opportunity.

Interview Question – I think the most difficult question was when I was asked to explain as much as I could about the company's technology and my strategy for driving adoption with customers. I studied as much as I could about the company and apm technology but was not sure my answers were on point.   Answer Question

Director, IT Operations Interview

Director, IT Operations
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New Relic in March 2014.

Interview Details – New Relic's hiring process was by far the most enjoyable and seamless I have ever experienced. From start to finish everything went like clockwork and throughout the 7 interviews everyone was genuinely engaged.

Interview Question – Describe how you handle stressful and difficult situations.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales - Account Manager Interview

Sales - Account Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New Relic in January 2014.

Interview Details – Process was odd, called in to interview more than one time, they would cancel at the last minute. The HR rep did not know who I had interviewed with ... was finally given a verbal offer and told I would receive the written offer in a day or two. The written offer never came and no one has returned my calls for weeks now. Good thing I did not leave my present job based on their verbal!

Interview Question – They were very focused on the enterprise sales side and clearly had no idea what they were doing in that space, only that to reach their IPO they needed to have an enterprise strategy. It was concerning that they were selling enterprise but had zero infrastructure to manage it and even less from a customer support perspective. Based on my experience I would tell anyone interview to expect little and get even less out of New Relic.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Received a verbal offer and then did not hear back from them, would not work there based on the concerns I had during the process

Associate Account Executive Interview

Associate Account Executive
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New Relic in April 2012.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview to start the process, and then was brought in for a full afternoon of 30-45 minute interviews with 3 different managers, as well as the VP of sales.

Interview Question – What could I bring to the table for a fast growing startup that would help it continue to achieve success.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very pleasant and open

Business Development Interview

Business Development
San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New Relic in January 2013.

Interview Details – I reached out to the hiring manager via a personal friend who knows him, and set up a date to meet in person. I had 2 rounds of interviews, the first one with the hiring manager (now my boss) and one of my peers, which felt mainly like they were trying to assess both skills and personality fit. Afterwards, I had a full day of interviews with the rest of the BD team and people I would be working closely with. Although there were plenty of questions about job skills, experience, etc.... the company cares deeply about personality fit and there were at least 2 interviews focused on the topic. The last part of the interview was a whiteboard presentation on a topic of my choosing to check communication and people management skills. It was actually fun.
I came out of both rounds knowing that if I took the role it was going to be fun to work with this team at a company that is doing amazingly well. I got an offer within a business day of my second round, and accepted.

Interview Question – It was business case-type question. One of the interviewers described a tough business challenge and asked me to provide options to resolve it. Luckily, one of my ideas had actually been the solution that New Relic had gone with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did my homework and confirmed it was a competitive offer for the position, and accepted.

Product Marketing Interview

Product Marketing
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at New Relic.

Interview Details – Applied directly to the hiring manager based on a job post on craigslist. One phone interview, one casual meeting with hiring manager-- who by the way was a really nice guy. Then was brought in to meet with 3-4 team members. Everyone was super nice. Hiring manager said I was one of the first candidates interviewed so it would take some time. About 2-3 weeks later, the company asked for my references but to my knowledge, they were never called and I never got the courtesy of a rejection eventhough the recruiting said she would call me "next week."

As a side note: when I was interviewing, I noticed that there were few to no females in the office. I thought it was strange. I later learned that a number of female employees had left the company recently under allegations of sexual harrassment. I don't know if it is true but if it is, it would explain the almost totally male atmosphere that I experienced.

Interview Question – Nothing that stands out. They all talk about how boring enterprise products can be and so you should be prepared to discuss why the product/company appeals to you.   Answer Question

Worked for New Relic? Contribute to the Community!