New Relic Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Mar 10, 2015
Updated Mar 10, 2015

2.9

Director, People & Organizational Development Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Many phone screens and emails back and forth. Spoke only with one person the entire time, who was not even affiliated with the organization. She was a retained consultant who was doing the job of Director, People & Organizational Development for New Relic. Her role was to "find" a candidate to fill this role, because she had a large customer base of other clients and companies. After speaking and emailing with her many times, I found out that they had 2 candidates that were at the end stage of being offered employment. What I find strange is the fact that this job was posted, then reposted, and then posted again. I was happy they did not waste much of my time as listed in one of the other reviews on this site.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to send multiple samples of work products to prove my credentials   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Submitted an application, was contacted to interview the next day.

Phone screen was simple and straight forward, job description and role was a bit vague. She said would followup on a next round of interviews. Didn't say it was another phone or in person interview. Also had me do a "homework" assignment, which I spent a lot of time on and submitted within a few days. Recruiter doesn't respond immediately.

Almost a week and a half goes by and no word. Then invited to come on site, at this point, I still don't have much of a clue of what the job or role is. The coordinator is extremely disorganized, didn't find out who I was interviewing with or time i was supposed to come till the day before the interview.

Come on site, meet with the hiring manager. Got really negative vibes on his management style and seems his agenda for us organization is still not clearly defined. Met with a development manager, immediately talked about disfunction in the organization and the "high turnover" of his team, but did talk about the equity he has in the company. Met with a colleague, and he talks about the lack of process, disorganization and chaos of the org. To top it off, they didn't review or even ask about my "homework assignment", definitely a total waste of time.

After the interview was done, recruiter didn't bother to meet with me or even follow up (only until I got the rejection)

Overall, lots of red flags and unhappy employees. The recruiting team and interviewers needs to do a better job organizing and getting me excited about the job. Didn't get an offer, but wasn't bummed since it was hard to feel enthusiastic about such a negative work environment.

Director, People & Organizational Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was very impressed with how quickly the initial phone screen interview was set up (within one week); and the follow up phone interview with the hiring manager one week later. In person interviews were scheduled one week later and took place two weeks after the initial phone interview with the hiring manager. The in person interview was a bit discombobulated. I was taken into a hot, small conf. room and then told my initial interview would be via skype. However, the coordinator could not get her computer to synch with the recruiter who had gone home early for the day. Apparently he hadn't updated some new software that would allow us to connect. Finally, we connected on the phone and we talked for no more than 5 minutes and he asked me to come back into the office the following Monday for coffee or lunch. I was happy to agree. I then met with a Director peer on the team and the hiring manager. I felt that both the interviews went very well and was happy that the VP indicated that I would be moving onto one final round of interviews. I again took time off of work and went back the following Monday to meet the recruiter. He met me at reception and had his coffee with him and nothing else. We went to their cafeteria/lounge. He asked for a copy of my resume, and then reviewed it, on the spot and apparently for the first time. He asked a couple simple questions, and then said based on my background he would make the recommendation that I move forward in the process. I was back out in front of the building in under 15 minutes. Although the meeting was unorthodox at best, I was glad I made the trip because I was apparently moving forward in the process. Then the waiting began. The hiring manager had indicated that they wanted to be done with offer out within the following two weeks, tops. I didn't hear back, and finally after a week and a half passed, I followed up with an email (no response.) Then, two weeks after my return to meet with the recruiter, I was delivered the "thanks but no thanks" standard turn down email. At this point I expected the "turn down" would have been more personalized, acknowledged my effort; apologized for me having to come back, anything specific to my situation given the expectations that were set and come from the hiring manager. Over one month later, my follow up email to ask for feedback on the interview experience remains unanswered.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

First phone interview followed by coding exercise and then in person interview. You can sense that no interviewer is not really into interview. The coding exercise they will give you after phone interview won't be even checked (they will ask you to upload the code on github). HR is interested in finding out how much would you accept without describing total package. The options are really not worth it as there is no trike price in the contract.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Started the interview process a couple months ago and never heard back, even after the proactive and eloquent follow up. Had multiple interviews and internal referral and still haven't heard about next steps. I've been interviewing a bit lately and find that it's consistent in the Bay Area for company's to provide input or communication on next steps after an interview, regardless of an offer. I've heard great things about the company and felt the interview process was fairly organized but not sure how or if I'll hear about next steps, not even a "thank you but we've decided to extend our search email"...

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were good and relevant, not too difficult or unexpected, but definitely not easy. Came in several times and met with several people. Good vibe there.   Answer Question

New Relic Response

Jun 23, 2014VP, People

Candidate - Please let me know directly if you still haven't heard back from us. We try to get back to everyone promptly, within two days of any action at our end. If we haven't closed the loop ... More

Director, Customer Success Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online via the New Relic website. I was contacted via e-mail the same day and had a phone interview with a recruiter within a day or two. Following that, I had a telephone interview with the VP of Customer Success. The phone interview was very much a two way communication and I had the opportunity to discuss my qualifications and highlight the skills I thought made me a competitive candidate. I was asked some probing questions and allowed to ask questions of the interviewer so that I could learn more about the position and the company. Next I was invited back for an interview in person. I interviewed again with the Vice President of Customer Success and two other executives.

I was treated with respect and very much enjoyed my time discussing my experience and the prospective role at New Relic. I have to admit that I was asked some tough questions, but they made me think more in depth about my experience and how I would handle some hypothetical situations. Everyone I interviewed with was engaging and I felt they took a genuine interest in me as a person and that they valued my time. The Vice President took the time to explain the details of the role and allowed me to ask as many questions as I wanted, and didn't look at the clock. I felt he made an investment of time and made the company and the role sound challenging and rewarding. This is definitely the kind of place that I'd like to work.

I received a personal note of follow up by the Vice President and have been kept well informed about the hiring process. While I ultimately did not get a job offer, I will definitely apply again for another opportunity.

Interview Questions

• I think the most difficult question was when I was asked to explain as much as I could about the company's technology and my strategy for driving adoption with customers. I studied as much as I could about the company and apm technology but was not sure my answers were on point.   Answer Question

Director, IT Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

New Relic's hiring process was by far the most enjoyable and seamless I have ever experienced. From start to finish everything went like clockwork and throughout the 7 interviews everyone was genuinely engaged.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you handle stressful and difficult situations.   Answer Question

Sales - Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Process was odd, called in to interview more than one time, they would cancel at the last minute. The HR rep did not know who I had interviewed with ... was finally given a verbal offer and told I would receive the written offer in a day or two. The written offer never came and no one has returned my calls for weeks now. Good thing I did not leave my present job based on their verbal!

Interview Questions

• They were very focused on the enterprise sales side and clearly had no idea what they were doing in that space, only that to reach their IPO they needed to have an enterprise strategy. It was concerning that they were selling enterprise but had zero infrastructure to manage it and even less from a customer support perspective. Based on my experience I would tell anyone interview to expect little and get even less out of New Relic.   Answer Question

Received a verbal offer and then did not hear back from them, would not work there based on the concerns I had during the process

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

I reached out to the hiring manager via a personal friend who knows him, and set up a date to meet in person. I had 2 rounds of interviews, the first one with the hiring manager (now my boss) and one of my peers, which felt mainly like they were trying to assess both skills and personality fit. Afterwards, I had a full day of interviews with the rest of the BD team and people I would be working closely with. Although there were plenty of questions about job skills, experience, etc.... the company cares deeply about personality fit and there were at least 2 interviews focused on the topic. The last part of the interview was a whiteboard presentation on a topic of my choosing to check communication and people management skills. It was actually fun.
    I came out of both rounds knowing that if I took the role it was going to be fun to work with this team at a company that is doing amazingly well. I got an offer within a business day of my second round, and accepted.

Interview Questions

• It was business case-type question. One of the interviewers described a tough business challenge and asked me to provide options to resolve it. Luckily, one of my ideas had actually been the solution that New Relic had gone with.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did my homework and confirmed it was a competitive offer for the position, and accepted.

Product Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at New Relic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied directly to the hiring manager based on a job post on craigslist. One phone interview, one casual meeting with hiring manager-- who by the way was a really nice guy. Then was brought in to meet with 3-4 team members. Everyone was super nice. Hiring manager said I was one of the first candidates interviewed so it would take some time. About 2-3 weeks later, the company asked for my references but to my knowledge, they were never called and I never got the courtesy of a rejection eventhough the recruiting said she would call me "next week."

As a side note: when I was interviewing, I noticed that there were few to no females in the office. I thought it was strange. I later learned that a number of female employees had left the company recently under allegations of sexual harrassment. I don't know if it is true but if it is, it would explain the almost totally male atmosphere that I experienced.

Interview Questions

• Nothing that stands out. They all talk about how boring enterprise products can be and so you should be prepared to discuss why the product/company appeals to you.   Answer Question