New School Interview Questions & Reviews

15 interviews

2.7

Event Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at New School in February 2012.

Responded with interview notice after 2 days. Interview was 15 minutes and the interviewer seemed to be more distracted and focused on what they wanted for lunch. She was asking questions off of a sheet and just didn't seem too interested in general.

Interview Questions
    • What contributions do I bring that could make the working environment difficult at times   View Answer

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at New School in March 2014.

I was contacted by someone from HR who did a phone screening. A few weeks later I was contacted by someone to set up an interview. This interview was with three people and the conversation was friendly and thoughtful. Another two weeks and I was contacted that I'd been put forward to round 2, this interview was again friendly whilst still being formal and informative for both myself and the interview panel. They stated they had hoped to make a decision by the end of the following week, two weeks later I was told that it was going to be a few more weeks and then a month after that I reached out again and was told that they had decided to continue on with another candidate.

Senior Academic Adviser Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New School in January 2014.

I had a telephone interview first for over 45 minutes which was informative and discursive. The interviewer picked up on some aspects of my resume' that others had never noticed. Then I was called for an hour's in-person interview and tour of the facility a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty was that during the personal meeting I was asked to submit my questions, which the interviewer answered fully and directly. I expected to answer some questions in return but wasn't asked any.   View Answer

Curricular Coordinator Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at New School.

Two interviews with large panels of people, none of whom took much initiative. Most people seemed unprepared for the interview and confused.

Interview Questions
    • They hadn't prepared specific questions, so they asked generic ones. Come prepared with what you want to get across. You may need to take control of the conversation.   Answer Question
    They will offer you the lowest amount they think you'll take. Definitely think about what you think is fair before hand. I didn't, and now there are no opportunities for raises, so i regret it.

Program Administrator Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at New School.

1. Standard behavioral questions.
    2. What can you bring to the position.

Interview Questions
    • 1. If you were a superhero what type of powers would you have?   Answer Question

P/T Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at New School in August 2009.

interview/resume/portfolio

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at New School in January 2009.

I was excited to interview here, and really disappointed by the experience.
    My initial contact (search chair, department lead) seemed professional and friendly enough setting up the interview, and on site. Unfortunately, would-be colleagues were non-existent on campus.
    Most telling: I was put up at a fleabag of a hotel, and wasn't reimbursed for my considerable travel expenses.
    Absolutely no post-interview follow-up.
    Sad experience, because the potential of the institution and position was made to sound so promising.

Interview Questions
    • How do you expect to live here on the salary range I've just described?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at New School in April 2011.

Phone interview for 60 mins. Be ready to impress them with your skills, research experiences, previous funding, collaborators, and what you can contribute there.

no room for negotiation.

Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at New School.

Depending on the program, it can be excellent.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation - Union salaries for adjuncts.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at New School in January 2011.

The New School likes to hire from within. I was already working for the University and the interview was mostly a formality, although they did interview other applicants. They didn't seem to take the interview too seriously (which was indicative of senior managements attitude toward the position).

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions, mostly based on technical abilities (comfortable with Microsoft Office, management skills, etc.). No questions pertaining to growth or visions.   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation, but the offer was generous

Worked for New School? Contribute to the Community!