New School

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Curricular Coordinator Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New School.

Interview Details – Two interviews with large panels of people, none of whom took much initiative. Most people seemed unprepared for the interview and confused.

Interview Question – They hadn't prepared specific questions, so they asked generic ones. Come prepared with what you want to get across. You may need to take control of the conversation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will offer you the lowest amount they think you'll take. Definitely think about what you think is fair before hand. I didn't, and now there are no opportunities for raises, so i regret it.

Program Administrator Interview

I applied online and interviewed at New School.

Interview Details – 1. Standard behavioral questions.
2. What can you bring to the position.

Interview Question – 1. If you were a superhero what type of powers would you have?   Answer Question

P/T Lecturer Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New School in August 2009.

Interview Details – interview/resume/portfolio

Assistant Professor Interview

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New School in January 2009.

Interview Details – I was excited to interview here, and really disappointed by the experience.
My initial contact (search chair, department lead) seemed professional and friendly enough setting up the interview, and on site. Unfortunately, would-be colleagues were non-existent on campus.
Most telling: I was put up at a fleabag of a hotel, and wasn't reimbursed for my considerable travel expenses.
Absolutely no post-interview follow-up.
Sad experience, because the potential of the institution and position was made to sound so promising.

Interview Question – How do you expect to live here on the salary range I've just described?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Interview

Postdoctoral
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New School in April 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview for 60 mins. Be ready to impress them with your skills, research experiences, previous funding, collaborators, and what you can contribute there.

Interview Question – was all expected...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no room for negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Adjunct Professor Interview

Adjunct Professor
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at New School.

Interview Details – Depending on the program, it can be excellent.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - Union salaries for adjuncts.

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Administrative Coordinator
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at New School in January 2011.

Interview Details – The New School likes to hire from within. I was already working for the University and the interview was mostly a formality, although they did interview other applicants. They didn't seem to take the interview too seriously (which was indicative of senior managements attitude toward the position).

Interview Question – Standard interview questions, mostly based on technical abilities (comfortable with Microsoft Office, management skills, etc.). No questions pertaining to growth or visions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation, but the offer was generous

Admissions Counselor Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New School in April 2010.

Interview Details – I had two interviews-- both were panel. The initial interview didn't seem well-organized; they had only a few questions for me and I would have been out in 15 minutes if I hadn't turned the interview around by asking questions and starting a dialogue between all of us. I received a call back the next day and interviewed again the next week. I was asked to prepare a 5 minute presentation on any subject. The second interview was more formal and included higher ups in the administration. I think it was down to two of us, but I didn't get the offer. The people at the school were very nice and professional, but the group interview feels impersonal. I'd suggest preparing a few questions in advance because they didn't have very many prepared either time.

Interview Question – Give me your five minute pitch about the school and imagine you're talking to a disinterested 17 year old.   Answer Question

Admissions Coordinator Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New School in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online for a position one to two days after it was posted. About 1.5 weeks later, a person in the recruiters office called me to schedule an appointment with my recruiter for the following week. The phone interview was pretty straight forward as far as standard questions go. They told me about the positions + benefits and then answered any questions I had about the position. They then told me that my answers would be reviewed and that if they were considering me that I would get a call within the next week to set up an in-person interview (they also mentioned that if I didn't hear back I could call the recruiter back about my status- if there was a delay or if was not going on to the next round).

I got a call within the time frame they asked for and they scheduled an in person appointment with me for the following week. I met with a group within that department and again they asked pretty standard interview questions. Very nice group and they got back to me when promised. I didn't get the job but overall I feel that The New School is a very professional place and I still very much hope to work there in the future.

Interview Question – Why do you want this position?   Answer Question

Academic Communications Coordinator Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New School in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by phone by a lovely deptment assistant. They wanted to begin the phone interview process as soon as possible and I scheduled a chat for the next morning. I was called promptly and went through a fairly standard 15 minute phone interview. I should have spent more time reviewing basic question/answer scenarios. No curve balls here.

Interview Question – Describe how you would deal with many people asking you for deliverables at the same time.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for New School? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New School interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by New School employees and interview candidates.