New Sector Alliance Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.8

RISE Fellowship 2015-2016 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied later in the application and did not hear from them until a month and a half later. It was a 2-round interview process. The first interview is conducted with a current fellow, and the second is with New Sector staff. My case was special in that I was given a third interview. I think they were unsure on me and wanted to give me another opportunity. For this I am grateful and I can tell you that New Sector is all about developing the people they take on.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a leader you look up to?   1 Answer

Summer Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance.

Interview

One phone interview with program alum followed by a skype interview w/ program coordinator. The phone interview was very relaxed because the alum was around my age. The skype interview was more formal and the interviewer asked typical interview questions.

Summer Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance in March 2015.

Interview

35-45 minute phone/Skype interview. It was conducted by a fellowship alumni. If you pass, you will get a notification of a second round of interview. I got the notification within a week.

Summer Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance.

Interview

The first interview is a phone interview with a New Sector alum, lasting around 20-30 minutes. The second interview is slightly longer (40-45), either conducted in-person or through Skype. Mine was the latter, and went very smoothly. The New Sector staff interviewer was very nice, and asked fairly standard behavioral questions. There is a 'fun' question at the end where you get to be creative!

Interview Questions

• What unique skills or experiences would you be able to bring to the summer cohort?   Answer Question
    • What are 3 words that your friends would use to describe you? What are 3 words that a job supervisor would use to describe you?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about an experience you had with failure, and what you learned about yourself from it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Note that once you get an email extending an offer, you only get about a week to decide whether or not you want the position!

Summer Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance.

Interview

Applied in the first round in December. First round is a phone interview with an alumnus of the program, and second round is a Skype interview with one of the program managers. All of it is fit (no cases), and they're really looking for your passion in the social sector.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online, which requires several references, and then heard back a few weeks later to schedule an alumni interview. This was mostly a behavioral interview for about a half hour to 45 minutes, and then was asked to do a second interview with the program director for the city for which I applied. Again behavioral given past projects and experiences.

Resident In Social Enterprise Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance (Boston, MA).

Interview

The process included a phone interview with an alum of the program and an in-person interview with the program manager. The questions during the phone interview focused on the positives and negatives of the social sector and how New Sector helps you to achieve your goals. The phone interview is dependent on the person you get. The in-person interview was pretty standard. The questions were nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• What are some lessons the social sector can learn from the for-profit sector and vice versa?   Answer Question

Summer Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance in April 2014.

Interview

Found out about New Sector Alliance through campus' office of career services. Applied via New Sector's online portal (which had three short essays and two reference checks). Phone interview, then if advanced, second round via Skype. The process is quick, without case questions, despite the analytical nature of their internship positions which very much-so do entry-level consultant work.

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance.

Interview

They are trying to find people who do not have much experience in the social sector but want to launch their career there. Being an ideal candidate seems like you have to walk the line between being qualified, but not being over qualified.

Interview Questions

• What is a time that you didn't get along with a boss and how did you manage it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Sector Alliance in February 2014.

Interview

1st Round Phone Interview with a former Fellow. New Sector is quick in turning the applications around however it may take a few weeks until you schedule your first round interview.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral but very general and open ended questions. -How will the things you have learned at business school so far translate to making a contribution to the fellowship in the summer? -What will you contribute to the Fellows program? -Are there any specific partner companies you are interested in working with?   Answer Question