New Sector Alliance

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

I applied online and interviewed at New Sector Alliance.

Interview Details – The process included a phone interview with an alum of the program and an in-person interview with the program manager. The questions during the phone interview focused on the positives and negatives of the social sector and how New Sector helps you to achieve your goals. The phone interview is dependent on the person you get. The in-person interview was pretty standard. The questions were nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Question – What are some lessons the social sector can learn from the for-profit sector and vice versa?   Answer Question

Resident In Social Enterprise

I applied online - interviewed at New Sector Alliance in May 2009.

Interview Details – Because I had previously served as an AmeriCorps volunteer under a program manager who knew the New Sector management team, I believe that my application got a second look.

The initial application process required the submission of an essay, a resume and a cover letter. Upon passing this initial check, I was invited to a 30-minute interview with an alumnus by phone. She was friendly and down-to-earth, and she asked the standard behavioral interview questions.

After passing the initial alumnus interview, I was invited to an hourlong in-person final round interview with a program manager at the office. Like my previous interviewer, she was friendly and conversational, and the questions were fairly standard, e.g.,

-Why New Sector? Why now?
-Tell me about a time when you made a mistake/failed.
-Walk me through your resume.
-What kind of nonprofits are you hoping to work with?
-Tell me about a time when you had to deliver a project in an ambiguous and complex environment.

Interview Question – What is something about you that we don't already know from your application?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at New Sector Alliance.

Interview Details – The interviewer was unpleasant.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions, all general   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boston, MA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at New Sector Alliance in August 2011.

Interview Details – Very straightforward, lots of behavioral questions. I was a weird case.. I interviewed really late because they had an extra spot. So my interview process was accelerated. After you interview with them, they set you up with interviews with different host sites and you have to wait until you have a match (you like the host and the host site likes you). I think that process takes much longer and is probably more difficult than the interview with New Sector. Sometimes people aren't matched even into the training session but things tend to work out.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for New Sector Alliance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New Sector Alliance Resident In Social Enterprise interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by New Sector Alliance employees and interview candidates.