New Sector Alliance

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at New Sector Alliance in January 2013.

Interview Details – Following an online application, you'll be invited to schedule your interviews over email - first with a program alum, and then with New Sector (usually the program manager). If you accept New Sector's offer, you'll also do a number of interviews with potential host sites. The latter can vary widely depending on the culture of that particular nonprofit (and therefore are a good chance to evaluate your fit with a particular organization), so I'll focus my review on New Sector's interviews.

Both your alum and staff member interview consist of mostly resume-based and behavioral questions, and address your prior experience as well as your interest in the program. I had very positive experiences with both interviews. My interviewees were friendly, responsive, and eager to answer my questions about the program. The overall process was professional but personable, which is reflective of New Sector's overall culture.

Interview Question – Explain unique ways in which you could contribute to the peer learning components of New Sector's program.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New Sector Alliance.

Interview Details – You start by submitting your application materials on their website. After that, someone reaches out and contacts you regarding your application. There is quite a process that goes with becoming part of the New Sector cohort.

1-After submitting your information, someone will reach out and let you know whether or not your ideal candidate. From there, you will be put in touch with an alum for your first interview.
2-Upon successful completion of your second interview, you are then scheduled for another interview with a New Sector staff member.
3-The last step is to get accepted into the program. After being accepted into the program, you then interview with host sites (I met with 4) to find the right fit for your summer.

This is a very rigorous process, but my summer cohort was amazing (which means it's effective).

Interview Question – The question that you should reflect on the most is what do you like the most about the program. It's important to know this answer for yourself so you're able to be honest about what you hope to get out of the summer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation involved as a summer stipend was explicitly listed on the website.

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at New Sector Alliance.

Interview Details – I applied online during the rolling admission after the first round. After a week I was scheduled for an interview with an NS alumnus and had a phone interview with him within the month. It was mainly informational and just going through my resume, informal and spent about an hour on the phone. I then had to scheduled the second interview with the program director and she stuck strictly to the 30 minutes. This was most behavioral and much more formal.

Interview Question – Tell me about something you failed at?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New Sector Alliance in April 2011.

Interview Details – The company was great and the interviewer was really friendly. Very casual questions, just asking about my background and why I am interested in non-profits.

Interview Question – What experience have you had managing up?   Answer Question

Summer Fellow

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New Sector Alliance in February 2012.

Interview Details – The program assigns fellows to different nonprofits at which they are assigned another supervisor. Every other week, a group of fellows comes together as a cohort to regroup and discuss what has been effective. It gives other fellows the opportunity to give advice and collectively help each other finish their individual projects.

Upon submitting my application I received an email offering a behavior and resume-based phone interview with a prior fellow.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you were not provided ample resources and had little direct supervision.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for New Sector Alliance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New Sector Alliance Summer Fellow interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by New Sector Alliance employees and interview candidates.