New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board

Relevance Date Difficulty

Investigator Level I Interview

Investigator Level I
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board in April 2013.

Interview Details – You will have to apply online through the NYC Careers website. You'll be contacted by a supervisor from one of the investigative teams that is undergoing hiring. When you arrive for an interview, you'll fill out a questionnaire within a half an hour. Then, you'll be interviewed by two or three supervisors. They will start by telling you somewhat about the agency and the position. Then go into more substantive questions. Know the basics about the agency. Civilian oversight, accountability, fairness to civilians and officers, dispositions of cases, substantiated, exonerated....

Maybe, they will tell you about the INTAKE UNIT (its new). If they don't, ASK ABOUT IT. You'll be assigned to the Intake Unit for about 6 months. You'll talk on the telephone with complainants 99% of the time and be only part of the very beginning of investigation. But, once you get past that it will get better.

You'll undergo a background check by DOI. There is no drug testing within this agency.

Interview Question – What was an not enjoyable and an enjoyable experience with a police officer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Starting is 36,660 until the mayor changes that. Don't listen to anyone that says different.

Community Outreach and Program Development Intern Interview

Community Outreach and Program Development Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board.

Interview Details – The entire process was organized and very formal. Received a phone call to schedule an in-person interview, which occured at the Barnes and Nobles on Union Square. Basically, know the company, your resume, how it fits with your career goals, and what you can offer. Got called in for a second round interview, which was more detailed. Mostly the questions consist of you describing different scenarios and how you dealt with them, or wil deal with them.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to persuade someone or a group of people. What were the steps you took?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, called immediately for a job interview. Overall fastest process I've ever experienced.

Make sure you know a lot about them going in. Instead of the standard format job interview where they describe their mission and duties, they expected me to describe their mission and duties and explain how my skills related to every responsibility of the investigator. They ask you to fill out some brief written test beforehand, which asks about your skills and has a short essay on your opinions of civilian oversight of police.

Interview Question – What is FODA and how would your skills help you to investigate these types of cases.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Their pay is not remotely competitive. Their offer was over $15000 below another offer I had received. This combined with the 2-year commitment makes the job extremely unattractive financially.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Recruiting and Training Intern Interview

Recruiting and Training Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board in January 2012.

Interview Details – - Submitted resume and cover letter
- On-site interview with the community outreach director and the incumbent
- Reference check - submitted the phone number of 3 references

Interview Question – Most questions were behavioral and based on resume. Preparation is key.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board in February 2012.

Interview Details – I got called back for a second interview within days for 2/08/12. The day before the interview I got a call from a female employee stating that I missed my interview. I told her that my interview was not until the 8th. She hung up and said she would call me back. I never heard from her so I responsibly went to the interview the following day. I showed up for second interview and they cancelled after making me wait over an hour. I followed up on 1/14/12 and Director from HR said that I missed my interview. I expressed my concern at why an agency would call the day after my "allegedly" missed interview if they had already dismissed me? I was accused of yelling on the phone, although I was calm and professional. HR Director raised her voice and told me that I was no longer eligible for CCRB employment. She hung up on me without any explanation.

Interview Questions

Assistant Supervisor Interview

Assistant Supervisor
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board in May 2009.

Interview Details – For a City agency, the CCRB is mighty selective. The promotions process includes a skills test where one is asked to write initial instructions for an investigation, followed by a panel interview. The panels are subject to the personalities and individual concerns of a handful of managers, but the process itself is straightforward.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with your personal relationships if promoted to a supervisory position?   Answer Question
  • How would you respond to a supervisee with more tenure than you?   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board in June 2009.

Interview Details – In the interview, they tell you all about the organization and the role even though you probably read the website and understand the role. They literally go through it word by word. After 10-15 minutes of blabbing, you finally get the chance to ask questions. Then the interview begins. They will go through every one of your resume details, so know your resume up and down. Then come basic behavioral questions (tell me a time when... bla bla bla). Then you take a written exam where you are given approximately half hour to complete.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you experienced a team conflict and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Worked for New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board? Contribute to the Community!