New York City Department of Education

Updated Oct 9, 2014

2.6

Community Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in October 2014.

Applied on 9/30. Got an email a few days later. Came in for group interview that consisted of a performance assessment and speed interviews. The process took 2 hours. At the end the indicated we would be contacted via email with next steps for a follow up interview. The group interview had 6 applicants.

School Aide Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in September 2014.

Applied online by submitting resume and cover letter, phone call from the school for scheduling an interview, interview with the principal at the school, notified by email regarding the offer decision

Social Studies Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in August 2014.

The whole hiring process was very streamlined. Emailed a resume and a cover letter on a Thursday afternoon, and received a response to come in for an initial interview the following Monday. The initial interview took about 20 minutes, and they invited me to do a demo lesson the following Wednesday. Many applicants came in on Wednesday, making the whole interview process get behind schedule. The demo lesson itself went great, and most observant enjoyed the lesson.

Interview Questions
    • How do you ensure that you have 100% success in your classroom   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York City Department of Education.

First you apply through open market system. I found the opening because another teacher recommended the position. Then there was a formal interview with the principal. Afterwards, they scheduled a formal interview with other teachers. Last, I was asked to teach a sample lesson to a sample group of students at the school.

Non-negotiable salary

Teacher Interview

Dress causal & in their clothes, or clothes that will look like theirs. If you do't have the attitude to work there, don't work there only to make some money, because that money will be spent on clothes, you have to keep up with whats current, & you need to be happy & positive & into it if you really want to last.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education.

I was asked two questions: How do you feel about children and what would you do if a child was misbehaving in class.Right after that, I was directed into a classroom to team teach.

Interview Questions
    • I was only asked two questions which I found quite easy.   Answer Question
    There was none

Paraprofessional Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

All you have to do is apply Athena test and do 2 workshops. After that is completed then you look for a school to become permanent. Best advice do all you can do. Show he administration.

ESL Teacher Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York City Department of Education.

The process has changed since I was hired. Current process involves applying through the New York City Department of Education website. There is also a site which displays all schools with openings.

No negotiation

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in April 2014.

I was called to interview with the Program director and his higher up. They were pleasant and professional. The interview consisted of 8 questions about my past work experience, accomplishments and expectations of the future.

Interview Questions
    • What was your proudest achievement in your professional career, so far?   View Answer

School Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Personal interview with the Principal

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a child came to you and told you they were being sexually abused?   View Answer
    Their was no negotiation phase, working for the city you get the pay their offering with benefits and nothing more.