New York City Department of Education Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.6

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview

It was an interesting interview. I had to have 2 in order to get hired. I had to answer a lot of questions. Both interviews were about 20 minutes each and i had questions where I was put on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate.

Substitute Paraprofessional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

It wasn't really an interview process. Once you get a nomination from a principal you can begin the process of becoming on. Hours of online training and paper-work have to be filled in before u can work. Once you have a clean background check and hand in all u need then u can work .

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been arrested   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview after Resume review from online application receipt. Questions were asked about my knowledge of the Explore approach to teaching children in underserved communities. How to create positive student, parent and teacher relationships to foster positive learning environment.

Interview Questions

• To describe classroom management strategies.   1 Answer

Special Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Bronx, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

You walk into the building and sign in and then you wait in the cafeteria or some other place with all the other applicants and sit there for up to an hour waiting to be called in. Then they call you into a room with 5-7 people in it and the principal explains that you have ten minutes for the interview. Each person asks you at least one question and all of them have a rating sheet. They rate your answer 1-5 with 5 being the highest.

Interview Questions

• What is your process for planning a unit of study? How do you incorporate IEP goals?   Answer Question

Community Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was straight forward. I went to school I applied and sat with the assistant principal and another person that works there. We went through my resume and the AP asked questions. I then asked questions. Part of the questions I was being asked were in another language since that it the main population in the community. I was hired and had to go through fingerprints, and several paperwork at the main office in court street. This process took about 2 months.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview

Basic knowledge of things that were related to the job, pretty easy interview, nothing worth noting really. Just make sure you aren't a drug addict and you will be good

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

Required to teach and debrief a demo lesson. Taught to about 12 kids, the principal, and an assistant principal. A teacher later told me they look for things like: Do you look at students? Can you tell which students are struggling? Do you check for understanding? etc. The demo lesson is usually kids handpicked for the occasion so obviously its very different from having 25 kids in the classroom.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you would have done differently?   1 Answer

Occupational Therapist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

I interviewed for the OT scholarship. It was quite an intense experience competing with PT and OT students from across the state. I came prepared and spoke with confidence. I had a lot of experience working with disabilities and have a passion for working with underserved communities. This helped me to land the scholarship. Do not apply for this if you are not willing to work in the toughest parts of NYC. Brooklyn and the Bronx are the most underserved boroughs. Your education is getting paid for.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have in working with children who have special needs?   Answer Question

Educational Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

The hiring process was very simple because I worked in a schhol setting before working at my job they have a file with all my information throught out my working history with the NYCDOE. I just met with the principal she asked me a few questions which were school related and then told me my start date.

Interview Questions

• If I was familiar working with students with disabilities   1 Answer

Teacher (NYC DOE) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staten Island, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Staten Island, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

It is a very difficult hiring process. Very stressful because you are asked 5 questions, timed, and there are many ways to answer the questions. Sometimes I feel as though I answered most questions correctly, but some questions I answered, the responses may have been weak. I feel these questions are a bit subjective, and can be answered in many ways. I am trying to land a teaching position, but I feel a bit defeated now.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a disruptive student who has been falling academically.   1 Answer