New York City Department of Education

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.6

Community Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was straight forward. I went to school I applied and sat with the assistant principal and another person that works there. We went through my resume and the AP asked questions. I then asked questions. Part of the questions I was being asked were in another language since that it the main population in the community. I was hired and had to go through fingerprints, and several paperwork at the main office in court street. This process took about 2 months.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

Required to teach and debrief a demo lesson. Taught to about 12 kids, the principal, and an assistant principal. A teacher later told me they look for things like: Do you look at students? Can you tell which students are struggling? Do you check for understanding? etc. The demo lesson is usually kids handpicked for the occasion so obviously its very different from having 25 kids in the classroom.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you would have done differently?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview

Basic knowledge of things that were related to the job, pretty easy interview, nothing worth noting really. Just make sure you aren't a drug addict and you will be good

Educational Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

The hiring process was very simple because I worked in a schhol setting before working at my job they have a file with all my information throught out my working history with the NYCDOE. I just met with the principal she asked me a few questions which were school related and then told me my start date.

Interview Questions

• If I was familiar working with students with disabilities   1 Answer

Occupational Therapist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

I interviewed for the OT scholarship. It was quite an intense experience competing with PT and OT students from across the state. I came prepared and spoke with confidence. I had a lot of experience working with disabilities and have a passion for working with underserved communities. This helped me to land the scholarship. Do not apply for this if you are not willing to work in the toughest parts of NYC. Brooklyn and the Bronx are the most underserved boroughs. Your education is getting paid for.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have in working with children who have special needs?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview

This was the worst interview process. It took over five months and they had me interview for multiple and random positions. I had a phone interview, a performance assessment to complete, a one-on-one interview, and a panel interview. They also checked three references. No one seemed to have a clear understanding of the position I was applying to since they switched the positions multiple times (without notice). When I was asked whether I had any questions (which I had prepared thoughtfully), they responded with a question such as, "Well, what do you think about that?" It was beyond frustrating. They really need to get their act together if they want to recruit high quality individuals.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

easy to apply to, got the interview scheduled in a month after the interview, 2 months passed after decision was made, normal for the govern., to-be -supervisor was responsive by email but they did not choose me.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview

Applied online, got a call after a month.
    Was told that I'll be interviewed by 2 people, but when I got there, it was with 4 people.
    After the interview, was taken to a computer and was given an exercise (2 questions/1hr).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you faced an angry client/student/etc?
      Questions were not surprising and not difficult.

1 Answer

Paraprofessional Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview

It went very well the process was not too long at all. I actually was nominated by someone and got the email the same day, filled out a background questionnaire

Paraprofessional Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Prior to the interview, I went on the New York City Department of Education website and researched the requirements for becoming a paraprofessional. I found out that I would need to start off as a substitute para before I could eventually apply to become a full time paraprofessional. After that, I just simply went to the main office of a public school and asked if I could speak to the principal regarding a nomination as a substitute paraprofessional.

Interview Questions

• They asked for my name, address, social security number, and email so that they could put it in the system.   1 Answer