New York City Department of Education

Updated Jan 5, 2015
Updated Jan 5, 2015

2.6

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Two (2) phone interviews with general HR style questions and one (1) in-person onsite interview. The phone interviews where more a check on my background and current role. They wanted to be sure I had experience with massive amounts of data. The in-person interview was a panel style meeting and the employees where every observant and attentive. They let you talk and they listen. Some have education background so they were good listeners.

Interview Questions
    When offered a lower position I asked what qualities define the higher position. After some consideration and pressure with similar questions I was finally offered the more senior role.

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York City Department of Education in December 2014.

I applied for data analyst of New York City Department of Education online. After 1 week, I got a phone interview. She told me this position details and asked me some general questions. For example, state two your strengths, and what is the role in your current job.
    I think I did not perform well in the interview. I did not get the offer at last.

High School Teacher Interview

Teachers' Union helps with the process. Full information available at UFT website.
    You can be hired with a BA or BS degree as a subject teacher but need an MLS for school librarian. But you must consult the Department for the latest particulars, just google NYC DOE for the home page. Last I heard you had five years to get your masters in any other subject area, and three more years to be tenured.

Interview Questions
    • If you are interviewed by an African American and are asked how you would prepare a lesson celebrating their contribution to American culture, remember that that term refers to native Americans of African ancestry.   View Answer
    Your placed on a salary scale by experience, max credit for four years.

Data Analyst - Adult and Continuing Education Programs Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in October 2014.

Apparently, they reposted this position. I assume they could not find anyone since the interview process had been poorly conducted.
    I received an e-mail from the head of Adult and Continuing Education Programs division, informed me about the time and location for an interview. However, it was not a real interview but a computer testing skill.

Interview Questions
    • Misleading, when you invite a candidate for testing skill, you should say so.   View Answer

Office Clerk, Level IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in October 2014.

I was referred by a staffing agency. Interview was pretty simple and straightforward, nothing too tricky, no 'trap questions'. The whole interview lasted about 20 minutes and was done by just one manager, as the other was unable to attend. I was scheduled for fingerprinting the next week, and a start date was given to me a few days after that.

Interview Questions
    There was a fixed salary rate, no negotiations.

Community Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in October 2014.

Applied on 9/30. Got an email a few days later. Came in for group interview that consisted of a performance assessment and speed interviews. The process took 2 hours. At the end the indicated we would be contacted via email with next steps for a follow up interview. The group interview had 6 applicants.

School Aide Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in September 2014.

Applied online by submitting resume and cover letter, phone call from the school for scheduling an interview, interview with the principal at the school, notified by email regarding the offer decision

Social Studies Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in August 2014.

The whole hiring process was very streamlined. Emailed a resume and a cover letter on a Thursday afternoon, and received a response to come in for an initial interview the following Monday. The initial interview took about 20 minutes, and they invited me to do a demo lesson the following Wednesday. Many applicants came in on Wednesday, making the whole interview process get behind schedule. The demo lesson itself went great, and most observant enjoyed the lesson.

Interview Questions
    • How do you ensure that you have 100% success in your classroom   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York City Department of Education.

First you apply through open market system. I found the opening because another teacher recommended the position. Then there was a formal interview with the principal. Afterwards, they scheduled a formal interview with other teachers. Last, I was asked to teach a sample lesson to a sample group of students at the school.

Non-negotiable salary

Teacher Interview

Dress causal & in their clothes, or clothes that will look like theirs. If you do't have the attitude to work there, don't work there only to make some money, because that money will be spent on clothes, you have to keep up with whats current, & you need to be happy & positive & into it if you really want to last.