New York City Department of Education Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

2.6

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Applied online, got a call after a month.
    Was told that I'll be interviewed by 2 people, but when I got there, it was with 4 people.
    After the interview, was taken to a computer and was given an exercise (2 questions/1hr).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you faced an angry client/student/etc?
      Questions were not surprising and not difficult.

View Answer

Paraprofessional Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

It went very well the process was not too long at all. I actually was nominated by someone and got the email the same day, filled out a background questionnaire

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Two (2) phone interviews with general HR style questions and one (1) in-person onsite interview. The phone interviews where more a check on my background and current role. They wanted to be sure I had experience with massive amounts of data. The in-person interview was a panel style meeting and the employees where every observant and attentive. They let you talk and they listen. Some have education background so they were good listeners.

Interview Questions
    When offered a lower position I asked what qualities define the higher position. After some consideration and pressure with similar questions I was finally offered the more senior role.

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York City Department of Education in December 2014.

I applied for data analyst of New York City Department of Education online. After 1 week, I got a phone interview. She told me this position details and asked me some general questions. For example, state two your strengths, and what is the role in your current job.
    I think I did not perform well in the interview. I did not get the offer at last.

High School Teacher Interview

Teachers' Union helps with the process. Full information available at UFT website.
    You can be hired with a BA or BS degree as a subject teacher but need an MLS for school librarian. But you must consult the Department for the latest particulars, just google NYC DOE for the home page. Last I heard you had five years to get your masters in any other subject area, and three more years to be tenured.

Interview Questions
    • If you are interviewed by an African American and are asked how you would prepare a lesson celebrating their contribution to American culture, remember that that term refers to native Americans of African ancestry.   View Answer
    Your placed on a salary scale by experience, max credit for four years.

Data Analyst - Adult and Continuing Education Programs Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in October 2014.

Apparently, they reposted this position. I assume they could not find anyone since the interview process had been poorly conducted.
    I received an e-mail from the head of Adult and Continuing Education Programs division, informed me about the time and location for an interview. However, it was not a real interview but a computer testing skill.

Interview Questions
    • Misleading, when you invite a candidate for testing skill, you should say so.   View Answer

Office Clerk, Level IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in October 2014.

I was referred by a staffing agency. Interview was pretty simple and straightforward, nothing too tricky, no 'trap questions'. The whole interview lasted about 20 minutes and was done by just one manager, as the other was unable to attend. I was scheduled for fingerprinting the next week, and a start date was given to me a few days after that.

Interview Questions
    There was a fixed salary rate, no negotiations.

Community Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in October 2014.

Applied on 9/30. Got an email a few days later. Came in for group interview that consisted of a performance assessment and speed interviews. The process took 2 hours. At the end the indicated we would be contacted via email with next steps for a follow up interview. The group interview had 6 applicants.

School Aide Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in September 2014.

Applied online by submitting resume and cover letter, phone call from the school for scheduling an interview, interview with the principal at the school, notified by email regarding the offer decision

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York City Department of Education in September 2014.

After resume submission the school will take between a few days and a few months to get in contact, based on their needs. They conduct a phone interview and upon passing, invite you to visit the school.

They show you around, answer any questions, and watch your interactions with students and other teachers, mostly looking at level of comfort confidence and control.

At the conclusion of the process the school will offer you the position they think you fit, often different than the one initially applied for.