New York City Department of Education Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.5

Community Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was straight forward. I went to school I applied and sat with the assistant principal and another person that works there. We went through my resume and the AP asked questions. I then asked questions. Part of the questions I was being asked were in another language since that it the main population in the community. I was hired and had to go through fingerprints, and several paperwork at the main office in court street. This process took about 2 months.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

Required to teach and debrief a demo lesson. Taught to about 12 kids, the principal, and an assistant principal. A teacher later told me they look for things like: Do you look at students? Can you tell which students are struggling? Do you check for understanding? etc. The demo lesson is usually kids handpicked for the occasion so obviously its very different from having 25 kids in the classroom.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you would have done differently?   1 Answer

Educational Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

The hiring process was very simple because I worked in a schhol setting before working at my job they have a file with all my information throught out my working history with the NYCDOE. I just met with the principal she asked me a few questions which were school related and then told me my start date.

Interview Questions

• If I was familiar working with students with disabilities   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

easy to apply to, got the interview scheduled in a month after the interview, 2 months passed after decision was made, normal for the govern., to-be -supervisor was responsive by email but they did not choose me.

School Support Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process required a telephone interview with 2 members of the School Support team with a follow-up in-person interview with 2 coaches. The phone interview took one hour and the in-person interview took another hour. The in-person interviewers were late and did not communicate the meeting time clearly. I had to email the coordinator to find out if I was offered the position after undergoing several rounds of interviews. I found this not to be the most professional way of conducting an interview.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Very long and drawn out. Met with multiple people, really HR that messes everything up. Had a skills test to see how well I worked with data and tables. Met with director of office and direct manager.

Paraprofessional Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Prior to the interview, I went on the New York City Department of Education website and researched the requirements for becoming a paraprofessional. I found out that I would need to start off as a substitute para before I could eventually apply to become a full time paraprofessional. After that, I just simply went to the main office of a public school and asked if I could speak to the principal regarding a nomination as a substitute paraprofessional.

Interview Questions

• They asked for my name, address, social security number, and email so that they could put it in the system.   1 Answer

Community Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied on 9/30. Got an email a few days later. Came in for group interview that consisted of a performance assessment and speed interviews. The process took 2 hours. At the end the indicated we would be contacted via email with next steps for a follow up interview. The group interview had 6 applicants.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

After resume submission the school will take between a few days and a few months to get in contact, based on their needs. They conduct a phone interview and upon passing, invite you to visit the school. They show you around, answer any questions, and watch your interactions with students and other teachers, mostly looking at level of comfort confidence and control. At the conclusion of the process the school will offer you the position they think you fit, often different than the one initially applied for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

You are called in and asked questions. They really want to hear trigger words that make them happy and that way they think you know what they are talking about. Make sure you ask what they are looking for in a lesson plan, in a unit plan even how they want to see your classroom run. Its sad but its not the way you think works best, its the way they think works best.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage student behavior? What does a typical week look like? How will you differentiate for (ELLs Speds) ect.? How do insure low level students learn? How do accommodate to higher level students? What are strengths as a teacher? What do you want to work on, how do you see our school helping you?   Answer Question