New York City Department of Education

schools.nyc.gov

New York City Department of Education Interview Questions & Reviews in New York, NY

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was called to interview with the Program director and his higher up. They were pleasant and professional. The interview consisted of 8 questions about my past work experience, accomplishments and expectations of the future.

Interview Question – What was your proudest achievement in your professional career, so far?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Teacher Interview

Teacher
New York, NY

I applied in-person and interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview Details – At the time that I applied to become a NYC teacher, an organization called the Board of Examiners administered the testing process. There was a multiple-choice test of subject area content and pedagogical practices. There was a writing sample test. There was an oral interview test dealing with subject area content and pedagogy. You were given the oral interview questions on the day of the test, somewhat in advance, and were allowed time to outline a response.

Interview Question – You are a high school teacher. You come into your classroom and find that the teacher who was there before you leaves it messy on a daily basis. There are mounds of paper and candy and gum wrappers on the floor. What would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We work under the United Federation of Teachers contract. There are no individual negotiations during the hiring process. Once you're there, you can request certain things on a "preference sheet" -- courses taught next term, room assignment next term, etc.

Math Teacher Interview

Math Teacher
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in April 2009.

Interview Details – Very classic and boring interview. Head ask you very expected questions : strength and qualities, area of improvement, detail your experiences, etc...

Interview Question – Nothing special, basic questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negociation possible

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in April 2011.

Interview Details – The initial call was for an interview. I prepared the resume, printed an extra copy and brought it with me. They asked me questions on various computer systems. I answered each question in succession. They were most concerned with the dedication of my time to the position. I felt that this wasn't an issue as I have the best work ethic humanly possible.

Interview Question – Are you able to conduct presentations?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Salary too low.

Cartographer Interview

Cartographer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in April 2010.

Interview Details – Traditional hiring process. The job was posted on a website relating to my field, I applied and 3 months later was called in. It was one interview with the heads of a few teams in the department.

Interview Question – How would you get from point A to point B. Which roads would you use? and Describe a relational database.   Answer Question

Evaluator Interview

Evaluator
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an assistant to set up a phone interview. The two interviewers called right on time, and it only lasted about 10 minutes. It sounded like they were doing a bunch of phone screens in rapid succession. They got back to me within 24 hours about coming for an on-site interview. The interview was at the Tweed Courthouse location. It was a good interview. There weren't many skills-related questions; most focused on how I would react in certain situations. They were candid when I asked about the downsides of the job. They were very friendly. There was no office or room to meet in, so the interview was conduct in the middle of a large, open room filled with people. I also completed a computer task, which was fairly intense given that I only have one hour to finish it. Afterwards I presented the results of my task and discussed how I completed it with one of the interviewers and the director of the group. I was told I would hear something within a week but I never heard from them again. In total I was at the interview site for about 2.5 hours.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you have been stressed at work.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in September 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the recruiter for an in-person interview. I met with the Director and another staff member to discuss my experience and background. After the interview, i was asked to complete an exercise. The last stage was a group interview with current members of the department.

Interview Question – How did you complete this exercise?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The offer took a couple of months. Little room to negotiate on salary since DOE jobs follow a pay scale based on degrees and years of experience.

Very Easy Interview

Talent Acquisition Associate Interview

Talent Acquisition Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in April 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, invited for an interview after a week. Two interviewers, they asked basic question about my former working experiences. It lasted less than half an hour.

User Experience Interview

User Experience
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in June 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted through email to setup a phone interview. One week later came an on-site 1:1 interview with the manager. During that time, I was asked to re-design a site and then we would discuss it. The following week was a panel interview with 1 team member as well as other coworkers (unhappy people). The end of the week were 2 more phone interviews, 1 with the manager, 1 with her boss. Two days later, I received an email stating they've chosen someone else for the position.

Interview Question – Walk me through your process of design.   View Answer

Manager Interview

Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in January 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted an online application and got a response about one month later asking for a phone interview. That interview lasted for about half an hour, and then another few weeks passed. Then, the DOE invited me for an in-person interview with two people, and then another in-person interview with several more people one week later. I also submitted some writing samples and professional and academic references at that time. Another week or two went by, and then the Department offered the position, and I accepted.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate much. I think there is room for negotiation, although with government pay scales, there probably isn't the latitude that there would be with private companies.

Worked for New York City Department of Education? Contribute to the Community!