New York City Department of Education

schools.nyc.gov

New York City Department of Education Interview Questions & Reviews in New York State

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Average Difficulty
34 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was called to interview with the Program director and his higher up. They were pleasant and professional. The interview consisted of 8 questions about my past work experience, accomplishments and expectations of the future.

Interview Question – What was your proudest achievement in your professional career, so far?   View Answer

Teacher Interview

Teacher
Bronx, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview Details – I was asked two questions: How do you feel about children and what would you do if a child was misbehaving in class.Right after that, I was directed into a classroom to team teach.

Interview Question – I was only asked two questions which I found quite easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none

Special Education Teacher Interview

Special Education Teacher
Bronx, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in August 2011.

Interview Details – The principal called me to set up an interview and this was great. When I arrived, there were three other people there waiting in the office. We all sat there for over half an hour and it became obvious that we were all interviewing for the same position. The principal arrived and brought all of us to the conference room for a group interview. She explained what this was and began to ask questions. The four of us randomly answered and it was very competitive.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult or unexpected. She covered common core, special education, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation because the salary is set by the union contract.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Substitute Teacher
Brooklyn, NY

I applied through other source - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in January 2014.

Interview Details – you are required to meet all the requirements for the New York City Per Diem certificate listed below, and schedule and attend an Assessment & Processing event. This event will include a brief written and oral English language proficiency assessment.
At the event, you must present ALL of the following documents:

1) A valid government issued photo-ID (e.g., NYCDOE ID, Driver's License, Passport, Green Card, etc.).

2) An Official Copy or original Student Copy of your undergraduate degree transcript; those without the official signature/seal/stamp are NOT acceptable.

3) Two money orders (personal checks, cash and credit cards are NOT accepted):
  -$30.00 US Money Order made payable to "NYCDOE". This is a non-refundable Application Fee.
  -$50.00 US Money Order payable to "NYCDOE". This Processing Fee will be refunded to those candidates who do not meet the English language proficiency requirement.

4) Proof of completing the EDTrainingCenter's (formerly known as The SubHub) on-line Substitute Teacher training program. This training consists of five separate courses and takes approximately 10-20 hours to complete, depending on your pace. Certificates of completion must be submitted. You do not have to pay a fee on-line for this training, provided you carefully follow the instructions provided (follow link below) and use the same First Name, Last Name and E-Mail Address you furnished during your application for this position.

5) Certificates of completion for BOTH the i) Child Abuse Identification, AND ii) School Violence Prevention workshops. ($10 each)

6) Proof of passing OR proof of registering for New York State Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST).
7) Proof of Registering and Creating a Profile with the NYSED Office of Teaching Initiative's TEACH system. There is no fee for this. Acceptable proof will include a print out of the Account Information page.

8) The bar coded invitation for the registered Assessment and Processing event. This invitation will be e-mailed to you, immediately after you complete the event registration process by selecting a date suitable to you from the list of available dates.

FINGERPRINTING: If you have NOT been fingerprinted or photographed by the NYCDOE, please ensure that you have electronically submitted the Fingerprint form and I-9 form located in the APPLICANT GATEWAY. After submitting these two forms, report to 65 Court Street, Room 102, Brooklyn, NY 11201 with acceptable documents for verification of identification. bring a personal check or money order for $115 (made payable to "NYCDOE/DHR") or a Credit Card (MC, VISA, Discover) for payment of the fingerprinting fee. NOTE: You must be fingerprinted and photographed by the New York City Department of Education prior to your appointment.

BLOOD BORNE PATHOGENS: Prior to your first day of employment as a Substitute Teacher, you MUST review the information on Blood Borne Pathogens compiled and presented by the NYCDOE. without any fee REGISTRATION FOR EVENT:
To register to attend the Assessment & Processing event, log into the Candidate Application Portal using the username (your permanent email address) and password you selected when creating your application.

School Aide Interview

School Aide
Bronx, NY

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview Details – Personal interview with the Principal

Interview Question – What would you do if a child came to you and told you they were being sexually abused?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Their was no negotiation phase, working for the city you get the pay their offering with benefits and nothing more.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Substitute Teacher
Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in March 2013.

Interview Details – To be hired as a substitute teacher there is a process. You must first get a principal from a public school to nominate you. Once that is done, you must pay 115.$ for the DOE finger image. You must also take a computer class between one and two days, and finish the class in the time given. Once completed, you submit and the DOE will contact you via email. When you get your email delivered, you must answer right away and keep your appointment date. If you do not keep your date, you may loose your opportunity for employment. On the day of your appointment, bring all information requested of you. Be prepared to sit for at least half a day or evening in a group meeting. At the end if you have all your information requested, you will be sent down for your picture I.D. A this point you can begin working.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work as a substitute teacher?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase.

Teacher Interview

Teacher
New York, NY

I applied in-person and interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview Details – At the time that I applied to become a NYC teacher, an organization called the Board of Examiners administered the testing process. There was a multiple-choice test of subject area content and pedagogical practices. There was a writing sample test. There was an oral interview test dealing with subject area content and pedagogy. You were given the oral interview questions on the day of the test, somewhat in advance, and were allowed time to outline a response.

Interview Question – You are a high school teacher. You come into your classroom and find that the teacher who was there before you leaves it messy on a daily basis. There are mounds of paper and candy and gum wrappers on the floor. What would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We work under the United Federation of Teachers contract. There are no individual negotiations during the hiring process. Once you're there, you can request certain things on a "preference sheet" -- courses taught next term, room assignment next term, etc.

Special Education Teacher Interview

Special Education Teacher
Bronx, NY

I applied online - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in July 2012.

Interview Details – Interview was in person. Expectations were clear. Interviewer was forthcoming and courteous.

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiations as salary depends on currently level of education.

Math Teacher Interview

Math Teacher
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in April 2009.

Interview Details – Very classic and boring interview. Head ask you very expected questions : strength and qualities, area of improvement, detail your experiences, etc...

Interview Question – Nothing special, basic questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negociation possible

Educational Associate Interview

Educational Associate
Ridgewood, NY

I applied in-person and interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview Details – First you need to get through the test conducted by the NYC Board of Education. Then you need to face for an interview . laterif you have relavent qualification and experiemnce you will be called for the according to the available vacancies

Interview Question – There are verey limited vacancies, and also you need to have some kind of net work to get an appointment   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York City Department of Education

Worked for New York City Department of Education? Contribute to the Community!