New York City Department of Education

Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.0

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Teacher Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

First you apply through open market system. I found the opening because another teacher recommended the position. Then there was a formal interview with the principal. Afterwards, they scheduled a formal interview with other teachers. Last, I was asked to teach a sample lesson to a sample group of students at the school.

Non-negotiable salary

Other Interview Reviews for New York City Department of Education

Teacher Interview

Dress causal & in their clothes, or clothes that will look like theirs. If you do't have the attitude to work there, don't work there only to make some money, because that money will be spent on clothes, you have to keep up with whats current, & you need to be happy & positive & into it if you really want to last.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

I was asked two questions: How do you feel about children and what would you do if a child was misbehaving in class.Right after that, I was directed into a classroom to team teach.

Interview Questions
    • I was only asked two questions which I found quite easy.   Answer Question
    There was none

Teacher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

This varies by school. In general, there are a few to several small group or panel interviews, at least one interview with the administration, and a demo lesson. In many cases, you may go through several interviews and demo lessons and then never hear back about the job.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are pretty standard. Many questions involve asking what you would do in a specific learning or discipline situation.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation, due to the contract.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person - interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

At the time that I applied to become a NYC teacher, an organization called the Board of Examiners administered the testing process. There was a multiple-choice test of subject area content and pedagogical practices. There was a writing sample test. There was an oral interview test dealing with subject area content and pedagogy. You were given the oral interview questions on the day of the test, somewhat in advance, and were allowed time to outline a response.

Interview Questions
    • You are a high school teacher. You come into your classroom and find that the teacher who was there before you leaves it messy on a daily basis. There are mounds of paper and candy and gum wrappers on the floor. What would you do?   View Answer
    We work under the United Federation of Teachers contract. There are no individual negotiations during the hiring process. Once you're there, you can request certain things on a "preference sheet" -- courses taught next term, room assignment next term, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

I was recommended to the job right after college. I spoke with the assistant principal of Technology who handled the entire process. It was very easy. Probably because they didn't want me to know that while they were hiring me to teach basic computer literacy they intended for me to teach advanced Cisco networking but didn't intend to ever train me in the subject.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. The interview was very easy. I was later to find out that it was very misleading.   Answer Question
    There is no real negotiation. Everything is set by the department and union.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in August 2010.

resume, practice lesson and portfolio. There was an interview with the assistant principal than the principal. it was great. I had to give a lesson to a group of students with the assistant principal watching.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in August 2008.

I was hired the day before school started in 2002. I have two very unusual licences that the principal was looking for: reading license and a TESOL license.

Interview Questions
    • How do you integrate beginner language learners with advanced language learners in a small group setting?   View Answer
    It is a union job where seniority decides the salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at New York City Department of Education in March 2010.

The interview consisted of math and writing tests, a teaching sample, and a one on one interview. The whole thing was scripted which interrupted the flow of the interview. My responses were written down by a proctor to be reviewed at a later date by other people. The proctor was friendly though.

Teacher Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview granted as a result of submitted application

Interview Questions
    • What protocol would you follow for dealing with a child who constantly interrupted your class.   Answer Question

Worked for New York City Department of Education? Contribute to the Community!