New York City Department of Finance

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York City Department of Finance in June 2011.

I initially interviewed with one department in Finance, which went well, and was called back for a final interview with management. Everyone seemed very pleasant and professional, and I would have been grateful for the opportunity to work with them. During this process, I was also interviewed twice over a month for another position in the Executive Operations group. The first department wanted to hire soon, and I was told I was a finalist for the position, so they requested EO move toward a decision as EO's needs superseded the former's.

A third 1:1 interview was then scheduled, consisting of a review of my background and motivation for pursuing these positions and leaving my former, after which I was informed that a decision would be made within a week.

Three weeks later, I checked in twice with the administrative assistant who did not respond. A week after that, I emailed another interviewer, stating that I was grateful for the opportunity to have interviewed, regardless of the outcome, and politely asked to be notified if I did not fit the position. During this time, I had to delay a pending offer from another agency, as either position at DoF would have been more fulfilling, though lower paying. That offer then understandably expired.

I was told that it was taking longer than expected to decide, and that I was still under consideration; official notice wasn't going to be issued yet.

That was two months ago -- a final inquiry was ignored. I assume by now both departments hired others, or the positions were reorganized.

Of course I have no qualms about being declined a position, but I think it's fair to want to be informed of that fact if you've at least made it to an interview.

Proceed at your own risk in applying, particularly if you receive an offer from another firm in the meantime.