New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

www.nyc.gov

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Average Difficulty
22 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene.

Interview Details – Onsite interview. Have a meeting with a director and a sr. data analyst. Never heard back. They need a epidemiologist but the title is data analyst. They need a person to talk more than the skills they want. I am a technical person. Care more about the software to solve problems.

Interview Question – All questions are not very difficult and no unexpected questions. BUT have no idea i was rejected.   Answer Question

College Aide

I interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene in March 2011.

Interview Details – Received interview one month after submitting application. Interview was straightforward - went through my resume and transcript. I was asked typical questions, like why I wanted the position. Received offer later that day.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Clerical Associate/Personnel Specialist Interview

Clerical Associate/Personnel Specialist
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene in June 2010.

Interview Details – Highly organized, efficient,detail oriented and proactive. Positive attitude, motivated energetic team player.Have excellent problem solving trouble shooting skills. Ability to work independtly with strong follow-through skills. Excellent interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.

Interview Question – Would I work overtime and on the weekends.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

Data Management Intern Interview

Data Management Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene in March 2014.

Interview Details – Sent my resume and cover letter via email. Heard back within a few days asking for an interview at their office in Queens in a few days time. Interview was about 40 minutes and was one-on-one with the project manager. She was very welcoming and professional. Overall, it was a great interview experience.

She first asked me a little bit about myself - where I was from originally, how I liked New York, how I liked graduate school so far. She then asked more detailed questions about my resume and work experience - tell me more about your work analyzing data and xx lab, what are your strengths and weaknesses, why are you applying to this particular internship position. Very typical, basic interview questions. She then asked me if I had any questions. Afterwards, she proceeded to layout the basics of the internship - stipend (it was unpaid), the duration, etc.

She did ask me for three references prior to interviewing - I printed them and brought them along to the interview, but she never asked for them again.

College Aide

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene.

Interview Details – Interview process took 3 months from the point of initial contact to first date of work.

Interview Question – How does your school work apply to this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

City Research Scientist I Interview

City Research Scientist I
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene in October 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very professional and smooth. The interviewers were friendly, informative and encouraging. One of the best interviews I have ever had. Started with a phone screen and the next step was a panel interview. They'd kept in touch with me while they were in the process of making the hiring decision.

Interview Question – Why NYC DOHMH?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Good enough!

Investigator Interview

Investigator

Interview Details – My interviewer was very professional and friendly. The interview was actually a breath of fresh air. It was not a recited script answering the usual 3 or 4 basic questions. My interviewer actual started a dialogue and you could tell she was very interested in what I was bringing to her unit.

Interview Question – If I would be willing to leave my current position w/benefits to come on as a temp until hired permanently. hiring process will take about 5 months.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little negotiation with the city.

Very Easy Interview

Associate Staff Analyst Interview

Associate Staff Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene in May 2009.

Interview Details – Submit application, Telephone interview, in person interview.

Interview Question – Why are you considering taking a pay-cut to work in the public sector?   Answer Question

Long Island City, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene in December 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted an application to school and then received an email to schedule for an interview. I was asked about the related work experience and classes for the position.

Interview Question – I was asked to self-evaluate my computer skills such as MS Excel and SharePoint. There were no difficult questions asked in particular.   Answer Question

City Research Scientist IVA Interview

City Research Scientist IVA
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene in February 2009.

Interview Details – Most if not all jobs are also posted online through the City's job positing system. Usually at least 3 people are interviewed per position. Most of the interview are group, panel interviews involving usually the hiring manager and his or her supervisor and a member of the unit.

Interview Question – The manager who hired me from the outside once asked me "How do you measure the immeasurable?" I kid you not.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was told that salaries are set in stone and was lead to believe I could not negotiate. This is not true. Civil service titles all have salary ranges and most of them are quite wide. You can alway negotiate and salary within that range.

Worked for New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene? Contribute to the Community!