New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene
www.nyc.gov New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Research Scientist Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene in March 2011.

Interview Details – I was coming from an unusual background, yet I felt that I addressed how I would be a great fit for the position in my application package. Still the phone interview mainly went over the stated requirements for the position and how I met (or did not in my case) those requirements. It was rather difficult to steer the conversation into how my skills can allow me to contribute and be successful.
To give an example, the question would be stated as, "Have you spent one year at job using Excel for economic modeling?"
My answer would be, "No, but I have a built and published a comprehensive economic model for my graduate thesis work!".
"That is great, but you have you spent one year at job using Excel?"
As a result, I was on the defensive through the whole interview (about an hour) and I did not feel I came across well.

Interview Question – Do you have the specific number of years working in this function?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene.

Interview Details – I applied for three research positions (in three different departments). The interview process depends on the department you are applying to, some departments are more organized and efficient than others. After applying online, I was contacted within two weeks of applying. For two of the positions, I had a phone interview first and then a one-on-one interview. After that, I was called in for a panel interview. The other position was just one panel interview. For one of the positions, I received timely notice of job status after applying/interviewing (whole process took 4 weeks). For another position, the interviewer (hiring manager and person I would report to), showed up 30 mins late, seemed uncertain about whether and how the position would be filled, and kept requiring me to submit work samples. The correspondence was horrible too - it took forever to get a reply to my questions/updates. When I finally got a reply, I told was they wanted me to come in for a panel interview. After I sent my availability, I never heard back so I stopped corresponding at that point - it was too disorganized for me (this process took 3 months). The last position I applied for, after the panel interview, I had to follow-up with them regarding my application status since I never heard from them after the panel interview. It was a typical interview - describe your experience, which they'll ask you questions about.

Interview Question – Can you submit samples of your work? What was the hardest task you worked on?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Research Scientist interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene employees and interview candidates.