New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

www.nyc.gov
  www.nyc.gov

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Research Scientist Interview Questions

3.5

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene in March 2011.

I was coming from an unusual background, yet I felt that I addressed how I would be a great fit for the position in my application package. Still the phone interview mainly went over the stated requirements for the position and how I met (or did not in my case) those requirements. It was rather difficult to steer the conversation into how my skills can allow me to contribute and be successful.
To give an example, the question would be stated as, "Have you spent one year at job using Excel for economic modeling?"
My answer would be, "No, but I have a built and published a comprehensive economic model for my graduate thesis work!".
"That is great, but you have you spent one year at job using Excel?"
As a result, I was on the defensive through the whole interview (about an hour) and I did not feel I came across well.

Interview Questions
  • Do you have the specific number of years working in this function?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

Research Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene.

I applied for three research positions (in three different departments). The interview process depends on the department you are applying to, some departments are more organized and efficient than others. After applying online, I was contacted within two weeks of applying. For two of the positions, I had a phone interview first and then a one-on-one interview. After that, I was called in for a panel interview. The other position was just one panel interview. For one of the positions, I received timely notice of job status after applying/interviewing (whole process took 4 weeks). For another position, the interviewer (hiring manager and person I would report to), showed up 30 mins late, seemed uncertain about whether and how the position would be filled, and kept requiring me to submit work samples. The correspondence was horrible too - it took forever to get a reply to my questions/updates. When I finally got a reply, I told was they wanted me to come in for a panel interview. After I sent my availability, I never heard back so I stopped corresponding at that point - it was too disorganized for me (this process took 3 months). The last position I applied for, after the panel interview, I had to follow-up with them regarding my application status since I never heard from them after the panel interview. It was a typical interview - describe your experience, which they'll ask you questions about.

Interview Questions
    • Can you submit samples of your work? What was the hardest task you worked on?   Answer Question

Work at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene? Share Your Experiences

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene