New York City Department of Parks and Recreation

Updated Jan 13, 2015
Updated Jan 13, 2015

2.0

Maintenance Worker Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.

Most new employes are from the welfare system. this is a great way to get into the system and find a good job and turn that into a career. Talk to as many supervisors as possible and get to know all the full time employees.Become known and get around. They can help you if you let them know what you want and what you can do for them.

Urban Park Ranger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Filing seasonal Job application followed by an interview with investigators and background check. Or Civil Service exam followed by interview and background check with hiring committee. Passing Parks Academy and 1 year probation.

Employment Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.

Interviewed by three staff members, who asked thought-provoking questions regarding my experience and my credentials. They were all very polite and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. Interview began 30 minutes late and lasted about 20 minutes.

Intern Interview

Applied using my University's recruiting service and received an email with interview offer and date within a few weeks. Interview took place at their NYC base location and lasted no more than 30 minutes. Basic interview questions were asked such as "describe your greatest strength/ weakness", "why would you like to work for us?" and other basics. After the interview, I did not hear back until about 3 weeks to a month later when they called and offered me the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flushing, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flushing, NY

I applied online – interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.

HR department contacted me

Unpaid

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation in April 2013.

I applied through my school's career website and I was emailed to schedule a phone interview. After phone interview I was invited for an onsite interview. I was interviewed by two people, the head of the department and another person I would have been working with. the head of the department was unprepared for my interview but the person I would have been working with was very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions at all. I was asked why I liked my school.   Answer Question

CSA Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation in March 2013.

The interview process was really smooth,and the persons conducting it made you feel comfortable. Once interviewed I thats when I got alittle nervous because of the waiting period. Once hired I was so elated until I did not know what to say or do.

Interview Questions
    • The question that is always the most difficult one to answer is do you have a record. Even though people are not suppose to discriminate you still feel that your chances are less greater than a person without a record.   View Answer

Clerical Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Queens Village, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Queens Village, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation in March 2012.

fingerprinted and photo id

Job Training Participant - Maintenance Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation in December 2011.

The hiring process was very easy and stress-free. I did not have to wait very long to be contacted and I was happy with being given the six-month contract to be employed by the City of New York Parks and Recreation Department.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the questioning portion of the hiring process was explaining why I had a gap in my career. I explained that the gap was due to personal affairs.   Answer Question
    There wasn't any negotiation. The hourly rate was not going to decline or be changed in any. It was what it was; take it or leave it.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation in October 2011.

Once I came to the appt..did the application..sat and waited...did the interview.. It all went pretty smoothly. There were actually about 10 other applicants that day... Three of which inclluding me...got hired..

Interview Questions
    • I didn't really have any difficult or unexpected questions...   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating...They offered the job and I accepted with a set salary