New York City Economic Development Corporation

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The longest interview I ever had, almost 2 hours. It is like a talk/chat rather than interview. They told me about their daily work and projects, and I talked about my projects related to this position. We went through my resume quite thoroughly. No difficult questions, all typical ones. For application of intern, companies usually focus on what you know and if this matches this position.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you have that are related to the position? What do you want to learn?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Receive a call 2 weeks after submitting an online application to set up an interview. The interview lasted an hour and 3 different people interviewed me back to back. Very friendly environment and everyone was very nice, no unexpected questions, It was one of the easiest interviews I have had. I immediately sent a thank you email to all of them, but no one replied me. I was told during the interview I will know what my application status will be after a week, a week went by nothing, 2 weeks nothing then I decided to contact them the third week, I reached out through email first no one replied me then called no one picked up. I had to call the human resource department to find out that I didn't get the job. I was really disappointed since my interview went very well with all three of them and they all seemed to like me. I wish they had the decency to let me know instead of leaving me to my fate. Its being 5 weeks and I still haven't received any email from them to inform me about my application status.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, do you like a fast paced or slow paced environment, how well do you communicate with a diverse group.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation (New York, NY).

Interview

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!!! I was contacted 3 weeks after I submitted my resume online. Within that week I was scheduled for a phone interview with someone in HR. About two weeks after the phone interview I was invited for an in-person interview. The in-person interview went pretty well---met with two Project Managers in the division I was interviewing for and an HR manager, unfortunately I could not meet with the Director of the group because he had a prior engagement. I was told that they will be in touch regarding next steps in the interview process and since this was during the holidays I had to wait several weeks. I followed up with my HR contact in Mid-January and again in early February with no response!!! It is now late March and still nothing!! Very unprofessional and rude!

Interview Questions

• Why NYCEDC? What skills can you bring to the Industry Transformation team? Why are you leaving your current job? What is the role of NYCEDC? What are your passions?   Answer Question

Assistant, Vice President Interview

Interview

I had interviewed at another City Agency and didn't get the job, but was referred to EDC for a vacancy they had. There were several layers of interviews. I started with HR then moved up to department head, Chief of Staff and a representative from the New York City Mayor's Office at City Hall.

Interview Questions

• What if you have to represent the office on a policy you disagree with?   Answer Question

Assistant Vice President, Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed by four people from the group + HR. Only two people came to the room with my CV. The head of the group didn't have my CV, and asked for a copy. During the interview, he put his cell on the desk, and it kept beeping, and he didn't bother to turn it off. Totally irrespectful! 2 weeks after the interview, I emailed the HR, never got a reply. Called her a few days later, she said the group is still deciding, and she will let me know when a decision is made. At that point, I knew it is a dead end. And of course, she didn't bother to contact me... (shocking!!!!) Overall very bad experience, not professional at all, and made me feel that I am not respected.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation.

Interview

The first interview was over the phone with an HR person, this went very well and I was asked to go to interview with the person who would be my boss in Brooklyn. This interview went extremely well and he practically wanted to hire me on the spot, but all companies have protocol, and I was required to interview with the higher up and HR again. He even called me after the interview after he got my thank you email. So I went to that interview and I felt it went very well, despite a distinct feeling that one of the interviewers was a misogynist, and weirdly and openly inspected the outfit I was wearing. So the boss from the first interview called me up a few days later and asked me if they had offered me the job yet, and I told him they were checking my references, which I know for a fact are terrific. A week later I received a lame generic email saying they chose someone else. The whole process took 7 weeks. I am a little upset about being strung along for so long.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of robotic questions that you can almost not answer.   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation in November 2014.

Interview

Was contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview went smoothly, from what I thought, though I was actually contacted at a different time than what I was scheduled for, because of the interviewer's mistake. After the interview and one e-mail exchange, I followed up some weeks later, but never heard back, not even to say the position was otherwise filled.

Interview Questions

• The interview was more like a conversation, seemed to be informational, not sure how productive it was.   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Interview

The interview process was very organized and thorough, with the ability to meet a number of attorneys in the first round. It was fairly informal and allowed a good amount of time to ask questions. There were mainly senior attorneys that came from private firms and had extensive experience before coming to NYEDC. A fewer more junior attorneys were starting to join. In all cases, it appeared that attorneys joined NYEDC with the intention of staying for many years. It was a quiet atmosphere and one in which even a junior attorney might be given significant autonomy.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was how I would approach working with the remainder of the organization   Answer Question

Assistant Vice President Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation.

Interview

Vague interview process, no bonus and super huge work load. Video interviews and meeting interviews are done. offer was very low and again work load is very overwhelming. background checks are conducted.

Interview Questions

• work load is overwhelming plus the pay is no where near what the work level is.   Answer Question

Social Media Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Emailed me about two weeks after I submitted asking me to come up for an interview. No reimbursement. Had a 1 on 2 interview with two people in the department asking me what I knew about NYCEDC, my experience, etc. Heard nothing for about a month, then received an email saying I hadn't gotten it.