New York City Economic Development Corporation

17 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Don't Want to Say Interview

Don't Want to Say

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation in July 2011.

Interview Details – Usually at least 2 rounds, HR makes first outreach to screen . Next step is a meeting with hiring team. Usually at least 30 minutes with each interviewer. If selected for second round, it consists of meeting with more senior folks in department. Process and communications were all managed very well.

Interview Question – can't remember - they all seemed pretty typical   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – little negotiation room - but you should try

Assistant Vice President Interview

Assistant Vice President

I applied online and interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation.

Interview Details – Vague interview process, no bonus and super huge work load. Video interviews and meeting interviews are done. offer was very low and again work load is very overwhelming. background checks are conducted.

Interview Question – work load is overwhelming plus the pay is no where near what the work level is.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation.

Interview Details – 1st round: interviewed with three people, including 2 managers. Asked standard questions about why I'm interested in the company, my past experience and what my skills are. 2nd round: I was told that I was in the top three for two positions and interviewed with the department head. whole process took about 2 weeks from 1st interview to getting offer. No negotiation for salary.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at the real estate group at EDC? This is not unexpected, but was surprisingly difficult to answer in retrospect because I didn't really understand what EDC did despite browsing around the website. the website lists a lot of projects, but for someone unfamiliar with the public sector, it's hard to understand the exact role EDC had in a project, much less understand what the specific department did. I just said I wanted to do development. Turns out the real estate group doesn't actually do development - it focuses more on negotiating and managing transactions with developers, and then the developers do the development. I didn't fully understand what EDC does until I started working there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay is not flexible. You are offered a salary and you either accept it or decline it unless you're being considered for senior management level.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation.

Interview Details – The interviews themselves were pretty standard (a mixture of panel, one-on-one, and case interviews) with friendly staff, but the entire experience was frustrating due to the poor handling of the recruitment process.

After a phone interview with HR, I was invited to interview in-person in New York for a Project Manager Position. The interview went well and I was invited back to interview in-person a further two times. Then I heard nothing before being told, a month after the final interview, that the position was being put on hold.

About a month after that, I was contacted by someone else at NYCEDC about a Senior Project Manager position - they had seen my resume but were unaware that I had interviewed for the other position earlier. After a phone interview, I was invited for a series of in-person interviews on two future occasions. After the last interview I, again, heard nothing. I followed up multiple times but this time did not even get the courtesy of a belated "sorry, the position is on hold."

Clearly this was quite frustrating: with only a few days notice on 5 separate occasions, I took time off work to travel over 200 miles each way with no travel/accommodation stipend from NYCEDC and was not even given the courtesy of a decision on the position or a response to my follow-up inquiries.

Interview Question – If you were in the elevator with the Mayor, what is the one project you would pitch him for economic development?   Answer Question

Senior Budget Analyst Interview

Senior Budget Analyst
New York, NY

Interview Details – I was contacted for a phone interview within 2 weeks of applying. Phone screening interview by HR. Typical HR type questions to walk through your resume and elaborate on past work experiences and how they relate to the position. About 30 minutes. Within a week contacted for in-person interview with one senior staffer. Interview lasted about an hour and was standard as well. They provided a good overview of the role, the work required and team structure. Appeared to be quite positive upon completion. Did not hear back from them for almost two months. Upon following-up, new HR staffer promptly sent the reject email. Would have been nice to hear from the senior staffer, and not have to check with them to get the negative response. Overall, was a positive experience despite not getting an offer.

Interview Question – Standard interview fare - nothing too challenging not covered in usual interview questions   Answer Question

Assistant Vice President Interview

Assistant Vice President
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation.

Interview Details – It is a very transparent process. The jobs are advertised and are filled from ad responses. I submitted a resume and got a phone call from recruiting. I had a total of two in-person interviews with several different people each time and a phone interview.

Interview Question – There really weren't any unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told them what I wanted and they accepted that.

Very Easy Interview

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 12 months - interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation.

Interview Details – Position has been posted on their website for 1 year. It took them 6 months to contact me and i had a phone interview. 2 months later an in person interview. Followed up with a nice thank you letter to all committee members - no response and HR staff - no response. Then some of the committee members quit and the HR staff I was dealing with vanished - to date no response and job is still posted on their website.

Interview Question – Not the most creative bunch of people. How do you handle pressure? Are you a team player?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I declined because the person I was going to work with had just resigned.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation in November 2009.

Interview Details – Had two phone interviews that went very well with commitment for a follow up interview and then total radio silence. Ultimately gave up.

Interview Question – Why would you be a good fit for this job?   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Attorney

Interviewed at New York City Economic Development Corporation

Interview Details – There is an initial screening telephone call followed by an invitation to interview in person. The candidate is expected to meet with other attorneys on staff, all of whom are very nice, for about 20 minutes each. The discussion centers on what the work involves. No hardball questions as I recall.

Interview Question – Thankfully, no silly canned interview questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

Interview Details – Received an email for interview two weeks after submitting application. 45 minute interview. VERY standard questions.

Interview Question – On the spot writing sample   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York City Economic Development Corporation

Worked for New York City Economic Development Corporation? Contribute to the Community!