New York City Office of Management and Budget

Updated Oct 1, 2014

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York City Office of Management and Budget

Budget Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget.

Went through the interview process twice, for two separate divisions. For each, I submitted cover letter/resume via the online portal and was contacted for an interview very quickly (within the next week or two). Had an initial interview with a panel of 3-4 supervisors, followed by a second round interview the same week with their manager. Very straightforward interview process - asked about previous work, education, skills, etc. However, after the second round interview, they never contacted me again, and did not respond to follow-up emails, which was frustrating and surprising seeing as I had met with them twice at that point. While I had a very positive first impression of the office, since the people I met with were very nice and professional, their failure to even send me a rejection notice, particularly after multiple follow-up attempts, was disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a few questions about teamwork, how you manage conflict, how you manage your time, etc. They also asked for a spreadsheet sample.   Answer Question

Budget Analyst Interview

I applied online, then a few weeks later invited to an interview via email. Total three rounds of interview from unit head to senior director. Only selected individuals will make it to the third. I was invited to the final round, unfortunately did not get an offer. In fact, I followed up but never received any answer.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget in July 2012.

Originally applied for a different position within the OMB, but was contacted several weeks later to interview for this position. The description of the position was vague, and was not explained any better during the course of the interview. Had the initial 2:1 interview and was told to submit a writing sample, as well. I did so immediately after returning home from the interview, but I never received any response.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked why I had applied to the position, yet I had applied to a different position within the OMB. Obviously their HR department never got the memo.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget in October 2010.

Know everything on your resume. Staff at OMB can be really detail oriented and may go through your resume and ask tough questions. So be careful not to fluff a resume.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in the public sector?   View Answer
    Nonexistent.

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget in July 2011.

I was contacted via email in their interest to bring me in for an interview; however before I was scheduled for the on-site interview I had to provide a writing and Excel sample. About three days after I submitted the sample I was scheduled for an interview. I was interviewed with the group manager and a Senior Analyst. The questions were standard; however I asked to provide many details. Compared to other interviews it went at a fast pace -- they interviewers took many notes and had a list of questions they were reading from. Advice -- be extremely prepared with detailed answers about your past experiences. Be prepared to talk about your excel, research, writing and group project skills.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you worked in a group environment. How did you handle conflict?   Answer Question