New York City Office of the Comptroller

2.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York City Office of the Comptroller

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Submitted an application online and heard back exactly a month later. I went to the interview the next week, and was only asked about my opinions on policy issues (not so much about experience, save one question about statistical mapping). I was asked if I would still be interested and then invited to submit a policy brief/proposal for a big picture idea. Followed up with them about a week later to ask about timeline, as I had a couple of other offers, and received a really nice email letting me know that they were "taking the position in a different direction." The people here are super cool, but the hiring process seems a little drawn out.

Interview Questions

• Presented policy scenario and asked how I would advise SS.   Answer Question

Staff Auditor Interview

Interview

Applied online through both my school's career website and the Comptroller's career section. Received a phone call about 3 weeks later. Scheduled the interview the following week. I was interviewed by two senior auditors for about an hour, followed by an hour written test based off an audit scenario. Overall, the experience was pleasant. I received an offer less than two weeks later and gladly accepted.

Audit Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller.

Interview

There was only one round of interviews for this position and it was held in a large room filled with tables representing all the different bureaus that internships were being offered in. It reminded me almost of a job fair you might find at your college. When I first arrived I had to check in at the desk near the door and was told to choose three departments that I would like to interview for. Then I sat down with the other candidates scheduled for that day and waited for one of the department tables to open up. Keep in mind that there are multiple bureaus that do completely different jobs and each one has sub-departments (Ex. Financial Audit or Managerial Audit) so you should really go on their website and have a good idea as to what it is you're looking to do there otherwise you might interview for a department that you don't even want to work for. All the interviewers were very laid back and the interviews were pretty much a casual conversation in which I would talk about myself and my past experiences, both in the field as well as other things like school activities an so on. Most of the interviewers asked why I was interested in working for their specific department or for the Comptroller in general and then some would explain why they enjoyed working their and what some of the pros were that are uncommon in the private industry. I would recommend bringing at least three copies of your resume because most departments have two interviewers and they usually both want to look at it and write down your information while they're speaking with you. When you first arrive you're going to see a lot of candidates because they only schedule two days for interviews but keep in mind there are a lot of different departments offering internships in many different fields, so as long as you're friendly and have something interesting to talk about you should be fine. Also, each department is independent from the others so if you mess up with one of them it won't be held against you for the other interviews.

Interview Questions

• Like I said before, know which department you want to work for before you get there. When I interviewed I chose the two different audit departments that I was interested in and then a third department in the Asset Management Bureau. The third department was responsible for something that I knew nothing about and it definitely showed when I was speaking to them. The only reason I even interviewed with them was because I didn't know ahead of time that each bureau had sub-departments with pretty specific jobs. They asked me why I was interesting in working for them and why I was more qualified than the other students with economics and finance majors, including some who were Ivy League students? I couldn't answer it because I didn't even know what it was that they were responsible for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiating. They offer a set hourly rate based on your year in college.

Staff Auditor Interview

Interview

Took a writing test first first (30 minutes) and then had the interview with two interviewers (30+ minutes) Writing Test: Write an auditing report on a case Interview: Behavior Questions and Scenarios Analysis

Interview Questions

• Very detailed questions about what to do on a specific auditing scenario   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Three interviews with 20-30 minutes each with three bureaus. Basically first questions were always tell me about yourself or go through your resume. Bureau of Audit ask me how well I can operate ACL to do risk assessment. Bureau of Asset Management asked me about teamwork, and leadership.

Application

Interview

Applied online through my school, sent them my resume. Basic stuff. Eventually heard back and had an interview day. Had 3 separate interviews with various department heads. Eventually got a phone call with the offer a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Tell us something about yourself not on your resume.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller (New York, NY).

Interview

It is a one on one interview process with as many departments within the agency you are qualified to interview with. In some cases, they let you interview with all the departments or they select 1, 2, or 3 departments for you. The point is, they are trying to find the best match between your skills and the department needs. If several departments liked you, they internally discuss which department you will be assigned to.

Interview Questions

• What particular report or audit interested you most   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is a set rate of pay

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller in July 2011.

Interview

Applied online. Had to fill out many, many, many forms. Went on four in-person interviews. They never got back to me. Not one word. I was disappointed because 1) I called in sick to work and went to their office in person four times so they knew me very well 2) they pried into by background and made me hand over all sorts of personal info 3) they either never hired for the role or did not bother to tell me I didn't get it. Shame on them.

Interview Questions

• None really. I was pretty surprised that they never responded to me after all the hoops they made me jump through. Even a no would have been more courteous than what they did.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

The interview was not only for one bureaus. Each candidate may choose up to two specific bureaus ( e.g., audit and accountancy). Candidates are interviewed on a one to one basis. The setting of the interview room looked like a career fair, making it feel less informal. However, always be on your guard and do not let the laid back atmosphere fooled you. The interviewers know what they wanted from a candidate. Be able to present yourself as professionally as possible. Always bring copies of your resumes! Always show enthusiasm in your preferred areas.

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller (Boston, MA) in April 2010.

Interview

The interview was two rounds, one on campus and one in the New York HQ. The campus interview was conducted by the Boston, MA head and she was just awesome and very likable. The second interview was an all day affair (9am-4pm). The paid for flight, hotel, gas, taxi, parking and food which was pretty cool. It consisted of a lot discussions from the heads of the agency. Then there is a writing test which was basically reading 8 brief documents and summarizing it in 2-3 pages. There is another test where it is all technical - mostly accounting and few financial ratios. Long test but it was simple if you review a week in advance. The final interview was a 2 on 1. One person speaks the other writes and vice versa. The guy I had was pretty much a stress test (had the audacity grade me in front of my face -" low, medium, high ratings)" and the other person was very nice and attentive. Training is supposedly good and compensation is ok around 45k and anywhere from 5-20% increases in areas that are more costly (i.e. boston @ 15% and NY at 20%)

Interview Questions

• a lot of leadership and group scenarios- all fit. the technical qs were in multiple choice test form.   1 Answer