New York Life

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Actuarial Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – First phone interview was basic and lasted about 30 minutes. No difficult questions, mainly behavioral. Second phone interview was more technical and lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you showed leadership skills and failed.   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern

I applied online and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – I had a 30 minute phone interview with an actuarial student. Lots of behavioral questions. I thought there were some difficult ones. The first question was "Describe a project that you have completed in excel". Another question was "Describe a time when you made a popular decision that you knew was wrong". I stumbled a lot over that one, and to this day can't think of a relevant experience that fits this description from my life.

Interview Question – How many gas stations are there in the United States? Talk me through the steps you would go through to estimate this.   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Applied via campus recruiting. Their communication was efficient and quick. Interviewing process went smoothly. For the most part, they asked behavior questions with very minor technical aspects. For the interview itself, definitely read through and understand the various products that NYL offers.

The interviewing team was very cordial. Most of the interviews were one-on-one. However, there is also a portion of the interview where they take the candidate to lunch.

Interview Question – Describe the products that NYL offers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – I only got to the phone interview. Interviewer was very nice and professional. For the first part you are totally in control, as they ask you to "tell me about yourself" and you should prepare good things to say. Then he asks typical interview questions, with emphasis on insurance related topics. Then you ask questions, so make sure to prepare some good questions to ask as well.

Interview Question – Something to the effect of - What natural or political occurrence could jeopardize a life insurance company's solvency?   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Received an email to schedule a phone interview. Interview lasted about 30 minutes. Basic Behavioral Questions followed by tell me about an excel project you have done.

Interview Question – What are some things that could put an insurance company out of business   View Answer

Actuary Intern Interview

Actuary Intern

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted a few days later for phone interview in Jan 2014. Interview was basically a resume walkthrough with very minimal behavior questions. Received notification 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – What was your hardest project on excel?
Give an example of when you were a leader.
  Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview Details – There was an initial phone screen that lasted approximately 30 minutes. A few weeks later, I got an email to schedule a second interview at their Manhattan headquarters. I went in for the interview, and they had five people lined up to interview me for 30 minutes each. Then I went to lunch with two actuarial students, and that ended the second round of interviews. I would say it was a great experience overall. The interviews weren't as stressful as I thought it would be. I had great conversations with all of them, and I would say I really liked the culture and the people who worked there. A few days later, I got an offer.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for New York Life?   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and got an email about a week later to schedule an interview. Then interview went on for about half an hour. No technical questions.

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at New York Life in November 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview in early October, did not hear back for a while and then was called for an on-site interview set for mid-November. Then took a little over a month to hear back that I was offered the position, for their Westchester campus with 3 other interns north of Manhattan instead of the New York Life Building where the other 10 interns were assigned.

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult question you've had to answer today in your interviews, and why?   Answer Question
  • If a pandemic were to arise and much of the population across the nation died from it as a result, what would you expect to happen to our company's sales and what would happen to our profit?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I simply did not like New York as much as I thought I would, and had a comparable offer from a consulting firm in a more comfortable and familiar area, although still a major city. It came down to consulting vs. insurance companies, what route I wanted to go in the future and what setting I was more comfortable in, and although NYL offered more specifically the work I was interested in, in the end I couldn't see myself working up there very long and knew I would want to move back. If you are from the northeast area and love it already, I can't think of a reason for you not to accept an offer they give you. It is without doubt a great company to work for, and I have heard nothing but good things from people that have worked there before.

Actuarial Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interview Details – it's good. I am not sure whether i will get the onsite interview. Right now i am waiting for their responses. it's hard to wait. I am an international student. Right now it's so hard for me to find a actuarial summer internship position, since I am an F1 visia. just wait.

Interview Question – give me an example to show you have analytially minds.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Life Actuarial Intern interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Life employees and interview candidates.