New York Life

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Actuary Intern Interview

Actuary Intern

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted a few days later for phone interview in Jan 2014. Interview was basically a resume walkthrough with very minimal behavior questions. Received notification 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – What was your hardest project on excel?
Give an example of when you were a leader.
  Answer Question

Actuarial Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Received an email to schedule a phone interview. Interview lasted about 30 minutes. Basic Behavioral Questions followed by tell me about an excel project you have done.

Interview Question – What are some things that could put an insurance company out of business   View Answer

Actuarial Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, scheduled phone interview in about 2 weeks. The interview is warm and professional. All typical behavioral questions. I'm kinda nervous and probably won't get to the on-site.

Interview Question – 1. Share a leadership experience.
2. Share an experience to use computer programming skills.
  Answer Question

Actuarial Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, scheduled phone interview in about 3-4 weeks. Normal behavior questions no surprise. Got the rejection letter before thanksgiving break.

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – I only got to the phone interview. Interviewer was very nice and professional. For the first part you are totally in control, as they ask you to "tell me about yourself" and you should prepare good things to say. Then he asks typical interview questions, with emphasis on insurance related topics. Then you ask questions, so make sure to prepare some good questions to ask as well.

Interview Question – Something to the effect of - What natural or political occurrence could jeopardize a life insurance company's solvency?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview mid-October. About 30min long, mostly questions about resume. The interviewer also gave some more detailed information about the internship program.

Then about 2 weeks later, I was invited to an on-site interview. I met with 5 actuaries, each for 30 minutes and then went out for lunch with two actuarial students. Still, mostly behavioral questions, and to learn about my past research/work experience. Each interviewer also gave me some time to ask them questions at the end of the 30min period.

Interview Questions

• Describe an occasion that you had to persuade a group of people to do things a certain way.   Answer Question
  • What is a criticism you received from other people? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • How would you explain to someone on the street what a life insurance is? Why should they buy life insurance?   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Phone interview

Interview Question – Tell me about a book you read lately and how it changed the way you view the world   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Applied via campus recruiting. Their communication was efficient and quick. Interviewing process went smoothly. For the most part, they asked behavior questions with very minor technical aspects. For the interview itself, definitely read through and understand the various products that NYL offers.

The interviewing team was very cordial. Most of the interviews were one-on-one. However, there is also a portion of the interview where they take the candidate to lunch.

Interview Question – Describe the products that NYL offers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Actuarial Intern

I applied online and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – I had a 30 minute phone interview with an actuarial student. Lots of behavioral questions. I thought there were some difficult ones. The first question was "Describe a project that you have completed in excel". Another question was "Describe a time when you made a popular decision that you knew was wrong". I stumbled a lot over that one, and to this day can't think of a relevant experience that fits this description from my life.

Interview Question – How many gas stations are there in the United States? Talk me through the steps you would go through to estimate this.   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – First phone interview was basic and lasted about 30 minutes. No difficult questions, mainly behavioral. Second phone interview was more technical and lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you showed leadership skills and failed.   Answer Question

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!