New York Life Actuarial Interview Questions

Updated May 13, 2015

3.1

Actuary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elizabeth, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Elizabeth, NJ) in July 2010.

Interview

The interview was done with Department director, manager and one other manager level person. Interview lasted about an hour with general questions. It was very pleasant experience and I regret that I did not do better.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Phone interview first. Why NY Life? Previous work experience. Difficulties you had to deal with. Leadership experiences. I didnt feel like i did well but I got to the on site, haven't had it yet.

Interview Questions

• What are advantages and disadvantages of a mutual insurance company?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I applied online and got an email for a phone interview about two weeks later. Simple behavioral questions and nothing too unexpected. I got emailed back again to say that i made it to the next round of interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied directly through Careers section cold (without connections) in early September. Had two half hour phone screenings, flown up for in-office interview in mid/late October (extremely pleasant experience--they took care of flight/hotel/car service and were very hospitable about it), received offer late October!

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral questions, one or two analytical questions about cash flows and pricing premiums   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Boston, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

I did a phone interview with Aon Hewitt in February. The questions were pretty standard behavioral ones. The interview lasted about thirty minutes and I was given time to ask questions at the end. I received an email about a week later saying they were not interested. Overall, the interviewer was nice. He told me about his job and the duties of the actuarial interns.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you to break down a difficult concept and explain it to someone who did not understand.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in January 2009.

Interview

Applied online. Recruited contacted me for a phone interview within a week. Phone interview lasted about 45 minutes. He talked about the position and the company. It consisted of standard questions. I was asked why I chose to attend my school, what my responsibilities and routines were at my old job and if I has any questions for him.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you demonstrated strong initiative.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2012.

Interview

I just have the phone interview, and preparing for the on site interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Phone interview first - just simple behavioral questions. Second interview was on site. Interviewed with 5 people. Each focused on their own individual area - General Interest in NYL / Why Actuarial, second focused on my resume, third on Technical Skills, fourth was a general overview of the company, fifth asked the more difficult questions / tested knowledge on the industry. A very fair process.

Interview Questions

• Name and explain 3 different types of events that could greatly effect the profitability of the company?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in September 2014.

Interview

Was contacted via email asking for an updated version of my resume in early September. About a week later, I received a request for a phone interview. The questions were geared towards general questions about academic and professional experience, and towards gauging demonstrated interest in pursuing a career as an actuary.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to convince a group of people to do things a certain way.   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview

applied online and heard back pretty soon, they are so productive! Then set for a phone interview, basically just behavior questions and went through your resumes. I didn't get the second round.

Interview Questions

• 1. describe one of your leadership experiences and what you learn from this experience 2. what is the most difficult functions you can use in excel   Answer Question