New York Life

Updated Mar 4, 2015
Updated Mar 4, 2015

3.1

Actuarial Interview

It only took them a day to contact me via email after I submitted my online application. I had my first phone screening after 3 days. Then in about 10 days, I did my second round phone interview. Both interviews were highly behavioral with barely any technical question. Then I was invited on-site. Five people interviewed me one after another and each interview lasted exactly 30 minutes. After five interviews, I went out for lunch with two actuarial students. The on-site interviews were slightly more technical than the phone screenings, but they were still pretty easy. Overall, it was a great experience interviewing with the company. I thought I did pretty well during the on-site interview, but unfortunately, I did not get an offer.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Actuarial Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Phone interview first. Why NY Life? Previous work experience. Difficulties you had to deal with. Leadership experiences.
    I didnt feel like i did well but I got to the on site, haven't had it yet.

Interview Questions
    • What are advantages and disadvantages of a mutual insurance company?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

I applied online and got an email for a phone interview about two weeks later. Simple behavioral questions and nothing too unexpected. I got emailed back again to say that i made it to the next round of interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in January 2009.

Applied online. Recruited contacted me for a phone interview within a week. Phone interview lasted about 45 minutes. He talked about the position and the company. It consisted of standard questions. I was asked why I chose to attend my school, what my responsibilities and routines were at my old job and if I has any questions for him.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you demonstrated strong initiative.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

I just have the phone interview, and preparing for the on site interview.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

I did a phone interview with Aon Hewitt in February. The questions were pretty standard behavioral ones. The interview lasted about thirty minutes and I was given time to ask questions at the end. I received an email about a week later saying they were not interested. Overall, the interviewer was nice. He told me about his job and the duties of the actuarial interns.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you to break down a difficult concept and explain it to someone who did not understand.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Phone interview first - just simple behavioral questions. Second interview was on site. Interviewed with 5 people. Each focused on their own individual area - General Interest in NYL / Why Actuarial, second focused on my resume, third on Technical Skills, fourth was a general overview of the company, fifth asked the more difficult questions / tested knowledge on the industry. A very fair process.

Interview Questions
    • Name and explain 3 different types of events that could greatly effect the profitability of the company?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

applied online and heard back pretty soon, they are so productive! Then set for a phone interview, basically just behavior questions and went through your resumes. I didn't get the second round.

Interview Questions
    • 1. describe one of your leadership experiences and what you learn from this experience
      2. what is the most difficult functions you can use in excel

Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

They had my resume on file from the previous year and emailed me to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 20 minutes; asked me basic questions on my resume, what I knew about the company, and a bunch of behavioral questions, and there was time for me to ask questions at the end. I was notified of my rejection via email a week later.

Actuarial Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in September 2014.

Was contacted via email asking for an updated version of my resume in early September. About a week later, I received a request for a phone interview. The questions were geared towards general questions about academic and professional experience, and towards gauging demonstrated interest in pursuing a career as an actuary.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to convince a group of people to do things a certain way.   Answer Question