New York Life

Average Difficulty
38 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Roseville, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at New York Life in June 2012.

Interview Details – There were four or five thorough interviews. The manager took his time to know me, explain the opportunity and allow me to "interview" him, as well. He even had my wife come in for one interview, to introduce the company and explain the income opportunity to her. The hiring manager was my working manager after being hired, and was very easy to work with.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Stockton, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

Interview Details – Interview1: Introductions, just getting to one another.
 Interview2: Introduction to Products and how they are marketed.
 Interview3: Compensation Conversation

Be sincere, genuine, and a go-getter.

My recruiter was knowledgeable, professional, and easy to talk to. Does his job well.

Interview Question – "Tell me about yourself."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Stiff. No Negotiation.

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details – Hiring process was simple and straightforward-met hiring manager at a networking event, and spoke to him a few times. Took a quick computer test and was given an offer.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult--they only care about who you know so they can use you to get more business   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process is lengthy, but not difficult. First stage was a company presentation with questions regarding education, experience, and insurance or financial background. A little bit of family information questions were asked, but nothing prying or of a deeply personal nature. Second stage is the compensation overview. It took an hour and a half and it is quite detailed and fairly complex. I have not attended the third interview yet, which will be on the marketing plan and should take an additional hour. I expect an offer to follow.

Interview Question – The hardest question, but age old in interviews, that was asked was "tell me about yourself."   View Answer

Agent

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Applied through school. Several interviews before getting job offer. Driven but friendly environment.

Interview Question – What are three characteristics you have that make you good for this job?   Answer Question

Lawton, OK

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

Interview Details – It's a multiple-interview process to ensure candidates and NYL are a good fit for each other. Not for everybody.

Interview Question – Can't recall. Very natural conversation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Edina, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in August 2013.

Interview Details – 4 interviews with projects (homework) to prepare for the next. Your work must be satisfactory just to advance to the next interview. This involves interviewing family, friends, neighbors, and other acquaintances to prepare. They also test your skills to identify places or businesses as sales opportunities. One of the most challenging processes I've been through but the opportunity is great if it is a good fit for you. It turned out to not be for me.

Interview Question – Do you see yourself as "Culturally Mobile"?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you start part time with no base salary, only commission.

Southfield, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview Details – I was recruited in by another agent who gave management my resume. I was then called in by a partner and interviewed. The interview was pretty straight forward, and more time was spent explaining the company and job duties, than questions directed towards me. At the end of the interview, I was offered the job by going through the training program.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 year?   Answer Question

Schaumburg, IL

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – I gave my resume to a head hunter at my university job fair and received a call a couple weeks later from a manager. First interview basic questions but vague about job duties. Declined second interview.

Interview Question – Write 4 people you know that are successful and why.   Answer Question

Columbia, SC

I applied online - interviewed at New York Life in September 2012.

Interview Details – 3 interviews: Introduction, Compensation, Contract

Interview Question – Are you an entrepreneur?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, pay is commission +bonus

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Life Agent interview questions and advice. All 38 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Life employees and interview candidates.