New York Life Agent Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2014

2.4

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Agent Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Applied through school. Several interviews before getting job offer. Driven but friendly environment.

Interview Questions
  • What are three characteristics you have that make you good for this job?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied online - interviewed at New York Life in September 2012.

3 interviews: Introduction, Compensation, Contract

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, pay is commission +bonus

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Waltham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

I applied through other source - interviewed at New York Life in July 2012.

The interview took about 4 visits but I was determined to get tired anywhere

Interview Questions
    • The agonizing long hours put into the interview can be annoying   Answer Question
    If you would like to strive to make 6 figures, then be patience with the interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edina, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in August 2013.

4 interviews with projects (homework) to prepare for the next. Your work must be satisfactory just to advance to the next interview. This involves interviewing family, friends, neighbors, and other acquaintances to prepare. They also test your skills to identify places or businesses as sales opportunities. One of the most challenging processes I've been through but the opportunity is great if it is a good fit for you. It turned out to not be for me.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, you start part time with no base salary, only commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stockton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockton, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

Interview1: Introductions, just getting to one another.
     Interview2: Introduction to Products and how they are marketed.
     Interview3: Compensation Conversation

Be sincere, genuine, and a go-getter.

My recruiter was knowledgeable, professional, and easy to talk to. Does his job well.

Stiff. No Negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life in April 2011.

It was a three step process, initial screening, marketing and training, and comp. The communication was good. They allowed me to transition from my previous employer and worked with me in my training and my schedule. They were very flexible with my situation. I had to do a Personality test, and do 20 personal interviews with friend and business to see if this business was the right fit for me. They asked me to compile a list of 200 people I know. I later found out that afterward they send out a professional letter on my behalf, introducing me to the business. NO further marketing was done to solicite them. I respected that. In fact many of my first clients were people from that intro letter.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you feel that you will be highly successful in this business?
      Is this the right fit for you?
        Answer Question
    They gave me a 3 year training allowance, which is very uncommon in this industry, other places have 6 month overides. NYL for the first year was 80% additional comission for your training allowance, case rate bonus of $450 monthly 6 paiod cases ,and expense allowance was on a sliding scale, but I am currently receiving about 8 to 10%. If you have your series 6 , 63, or 7 they have a different negotiation phase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2010.

*Whether you are interviewing for a "Financial Advisor," "Management in Training," or "Financial Services Representative," it should be noted that all of these jobs are exactly the same. The recruiters are just using strategic titles in an attempt to hide the fact that the position is completely and entirely a life insurance sales job.

There is an initial 1:1 interview with your recruiter in which he/she spends the majority of the time talking and attempting to sell the position (unlimited compensation, company strengths, flexible hours). Following this interview, the candidate must fill out a lengthy application, personality test, and receive a background check. After passing this step, the candidate attends a group second interview to learn about marketing and training. The candidate is then required to call on 15 individuals to complete market surveys. Upon completion of the surveys, the candidate then attends a group third interview to learn about compensation (which is entirely commission based). If the candidate is still around after all of this, he/she is offered the position. This is not the end of the interview process. The candidate then must attain his/her life and health insurance licenses and attend three mandatory training sessions, complete a spread sheet of 200 contacts, and then attend a week of training called "Fundamental Career School." There is a heavy drop off rate from the time of the first interview to the completion of fundamental career school. I do find, however, that this process is very appropriate for this position. The ones who stick around this long are the ones that have the most potential at finding success in this industry. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Interview Questions
    • What are your most important career goals? Personal goals?   Answer Question
    There is virtually nothing to negotiate in the interview phase as there is no form of base salary. Compensation is determined entirely from the production of the individual agent. My best advice to offer to others is to really understand what you are getting into. I was not aware of the interview process. I remember feeling proud when they offered the job to me, but they essentially offer the job to anyone who follows up. It is not a prestigious career and the prerequisites are minimal. You will find this out after meeting the other candidates in your group interviews. However, it is not easy to succeed in this business, and the successful agents are the ones who are proud of their work and demonstrate it week after week. The compensation is limitless, and if this is something that is important to you, then it will be very worthwhile to stick around through the entire interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

The process was filled with steps that at first seemed like busy work but in truth were basic skills needed to perform the job descriptions. I did not feel that any of this was overwhelming though it does take persistence.

Interview Questions
    • If you were faced with being a self managed or micro- managed employee how would you work best?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in October 2008.

They recruited me from a referral from a friend, the first interview was with a partner and the next two with the partner and managing partner. A personality test must be taken on the first interview, and if you pass then you are called in for a second interview. They are concerned with your natural market and if you have a big base for networking. If you are not a licensed to sell life or health you have to do a 52 hour course in order to take the state exam. Once you pass that you take a two week fundamental course where you learn the basics to the industry. Finally after that you're are on your own to produce and meet your quota each month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life in August 2011.

The interview process with New York Life is very long. I had 5 different interviews and they easily could have been consolidated into 3.

They illustrate the steps needed to be successful and after being there for a while they were right on the mark.

They make you "prove" yourself before offering you full time status which I agree with, it weeds out the slackers.

Interview Questions
    • They want you to complete 15 interview with people as part of the process. At first I thought that was a little too much but now I see that this helps gauge a prospective agents commitement.   Answer Question

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!