New York Life Agent Interview Questions

Updated Oct 25, 2014

2.4

42 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Agent Interview

Hiring process was simple and straightforward-met hiring manager at a networking event, and spoke to him a few times. Took a quick computer test and was given an offer.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing was difficult--they only care about who you know so they can use you to get more business   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Each general office has it's own culture so it's important to join a successful office with a competent management staff. This can be simply acquired by finding out how many "Partners" are at the office. The interview process should usually consist of four meetings. The first meeting consists of understanding the company. Afterwards, a self assessment homework assignment is given to be completed for the second interview to determine whether or not this career is the right fit. The third interview consists of the explanation of compensation and training bonuses. The fourth meeting is the sign up process and three months of training or minimum sales before going full time.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect your annual income to be in the first year? 5 years?   View Answer
    This hiring process is dependent on individual managers/partners. They seek highly motivated and qualified individuals to join their team.

Agent Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in April 2010.

Managing Partner did most of the talking during the initial face-to-face interview, and compensation was only mentioned briefly. He was very professional and and everyone I encountered at the office was very friendly. Second interview was more detailed and I was able to ask more questions. The two big negatives I took away from the interview were the lack of detail regarding compensation and the lack of specifics regarding product offerings. Also was somewhat surprised by the request to compile up to 200 names of family and friends to initially market to. I have a third interview scheduled, but I'm not sure If I'm going to follow through.

Interview Questions
    • What are the top five things you are looking for in a company?   Answer Question

My major concerns are the lack of a salary during training and the initial out-of-pocket expenses.

Agent Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

I contacted NYL after meeting with them a few years ago and scored an interview. The first interview went over the training offered to agents and the second the compensation plan. It was an easy interview because I already knew who I was speaking to. The compensation was confusing but I'm confident that I will do well.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated being able to start in January 1.

Agent Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in May 2010.

Initially, I was supposed to interview with the Manager's assistant, but shortly after I sat down she said she'd see if her boss was available to join us. So I interviewed with the boss and his assistant. The assistant read from a script (very green) and the boss told me of how successful agents can be and that he usually doesn't meet with candidates so early on in the process. I found it strange to have someone so new handle much of the first interview, even though it was an in-person screening. I told the manager that I had some questions about the position itself. I was told my questions would be covered in the next interview. I was given assignments/questionnaires to complete (list of family friends and contacts) and came back for the next interview. We discussed my list of contacts and the manager assured me he would help me close business when he could. The next interview was a discussion of compensation.

Interview Questions

There wasn't a lot of specific information given, the interviews were more of them selling the agent career as a potentially lucrative one. Over all it came down to me feeling this was not a fit for me.

Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life in January 2008.

Very In your face. Will ask questions like can you handle this. Very Upfront about the uncertainity and absurdity of the position. Work,commute, suits and ties daily without certainity of pay.

Interview Questions
    • Can you handle this career?   Answer Question
    • How many people can you call right now that will sit down and meet with you to discuss there finances?   Answer Question
    NA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

Got an email from them expressing interest to interview me. Had the interview with the person that emailed me. Asked him towards the end of the interview why he called me in for an interview, he said that he really didn't know, his assistant recruits people.

Overall process of the interview was casual.

Interview Questions

- didn't like the person interviewing me....seemed epically disingenuous, made it seem like he wanted another peg in the wheel.

- money offered was laughable (~$2000 non-negotiable despite experience) but he tried to insist that I would make thousands and thousands in commission, even though I would have no leads, and that, according to how he suggested it, that I would have to be calling to sell insurance to friends, family, acquaintances, and their friends (seriously??)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Three interviews first one you have to submit your information in order for them to perform a background check. 2nd interview they talk about compensation. third interview they offer you a job. If you show up to all three of the interviews and can pass a background check they will offer you a job.

100% commission don't let them let you think otherwise.

Agent Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life.

Applied online, received a call from a manager about 2 days later, went in for an interview the next day. Very professional, yet relaxed interview that asked the standard questions. Took about an hour and a half, and had to fill out a personality test at the end. Very good experience, however I wasn't interested in the company and did not go in for a second interview.

Agent Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

I attended a job fair where I spoke with a manager at New York Life, since they were one of the better insurance companies at the fair. It was a pleasant conversation, but I didn't think much about it once I left the fair, because I hadn't really considered insurance sales as a career choice. A couple of weeks later, they called me for an interview. I interviewed with two managers simultaneously, and again, the conversation went well. They gave me a good basic understanding of the position, New York Life's history, and the company's financial performance. The next interview was a group setting consisting of a few other agent candidates along with a senior manager explaning the agent contract, the training process, the training base pay structure, and the commission structure. The final interview was with a senior manager who answered any additional questions I had about New York Life, being an agent, etc. At the conclusion of that meeting, I was invited to attend their orientation sessions, which I agreed to attend.

The orientation sessions are required of anyone who is interested in becoming a sales agent with New York Life. During this time (about four weeks), the plan is for the candidate to acquire their license to sell life and health insurance in their respective state, if they are not already licensed.

New York Life does a background and credit check, which is conducted by an independent company.

From what I've observed so far, the people in the office seem to be pretty professional and upbeat, and appear to genuinely like and respect each other. There appears to be good comraderie between the various employees at all levels, and everyone I have encountered so far has been very pleasant, supportive, and friendly. The office itself is very clean, comfortable, and nicely furnished. Professional attire seems to be the norm - I haven't seen a pair of khakis yet, and all the men I've seen have been wearing ties. The women wear suits and professional clothing as well.

If you decide to interview with New York Life, dress professionally, and make sure to ask some intelligent questions. If there is anything you do not fully understand, ask about it. I found them to be willing to answer whatever question I had.

Overall, I found the interviewing process with New York Life to be one of the better interviewing experiences I have had - and that is the case whether I end up working for them or not.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important part of this job?   Answer Question
    • What elements of your professional background will allow you to be a success at New York Life?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase, since this is a commission-based position. They do offer a training base that can supplement your commissions.