New York Life Agent Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2015

2.3

Agent Interview

Interview

Hiring process was simple and straightforward-met hiring manager at a networking event, and spoke to him a few times. Took a quick computer test and was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult--they only care about who you know so they can use you to get more business   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Bala Cynwyd, PA).

Interview

Each general office has it's own culture so it's important to join a successful office with a competent management staff. This can be simply acquired by finding out how many "Partners" are at the office. The interview process should usually consist of four meetings. The first meeting consists of understanding the company. Afterwards, a self assessment homework assignment is given to be completed for the second interview to determine whether or not this career is the right fit. The third interview consists of the explanation of compensation and training bonuses. The fourth meeting is the sign up process and three months of training or minimum sales before going full time.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect your annual income to be in the first year? 5 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

This hiring process is dependent on individual managers/partners. They seek highly motivated and qualified individuals to join their team.

Agent Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in April 2010.

Interview

Managing Partner did most of the talking during the initial face-to-face interview, and compensation was only mentioned briefly. He was very professional and and everyone I encountered at the office was very friendly. Second interview was more detailed and I was able to ask more questions. The two big negatives I took away from the interview were the lack of detail regarding compensation and the lack of specifics regarding product offerings. Also was somewhat surprised by the request to compile up to 200 names of family and friends to initially market to. I have a third interview scheduled, but I'm not sure If I'm going to follow through.

Interview Questions

• What are the top five things you are looking for in a company?   Answer Question

My major concerns are the lack of a salary during training and the initial out-of-pocket expenses.

Agent Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

Interview

I contacted NYL after meeting with them a few years ago and scored an interview. The first interview went over the training offered to agents and the second the compensation plan. It was an easy interview because I already knew who I was speaking to. The compensation was confusing but I'm confident that I will do well.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in sales?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated being able to start in January 1.

Agent Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in May 2010.

Interview

Initially, I was supposed to interview with the Manager's assistant, but shortly after I sat down she said she'd see if her boss was available to join us. So I interviewed with the boss and his assistant. The assistant read from a script (very green) and the boss told me of how successful agents can be and that he usually doesn't meet with candidates so early on in the process. I found it strange to have someone so new handle much of the first interview, even though it was an in-person screening. I told the manager that I had some questions about the position itself. I was told my questions would be covered in the next interview. I was given assignments/questionnaires to complete (list of family friends and contacts) and came back for the next interview. We discussed my list of contacts and the manager assured me he would help me close business when he could. The next interview was a discussion of compensation.

Interview Questions

There wasn't a lot of specific information given, the interviews were more of them selling the agent career as a potentially lucrative one. Over all it came down to me feeling this was not a fit for me.

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life in January 2008.

Interview

Very In your face. Will ask questions like can you handle this. Very Upfront about the uncertainity and absurdity of the position. Work,commute, suits and ties daily without certainity of pay.

Interview Questions

• Can you handle this career?   Answer Question
    • How many people can you call right now that will sit down and meet with you to discuss there finances?   Answer Question

Negotiation

NA

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

Got an email from them expressing interest to interview me. Had the interview with the person that emailed me. Asked him towards the end of the interview why he called me in for an interview, he said that he really didn't know, his assistant recruits people.

Overall process of the interview was casual.

Interview Questions

- didn't like the person interviewing me....seemed epically disingenuous, made it seem like he wanted another peg in the wheel.

- money offered was laughable (~$2000 non-negotiable despite experience) but he tried to insist that I would make thousands and thousands in commission, even though I would have no leads, and that, according to how he suggested it, that I would have to be calling to sell insurance to friends, family, acquaintances, and their friends (seriously??)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Kalamazoo, MI).

Interview

Three interviews first one you have to submit your information in order for them to perform a background check. 2nd interview they talk about compensation. third interview they offer you a job. If you show up to all three of the interviews and can pass a background check they will offer you a job.

Negotiation

100% commission don't let them let you think otherwise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Annapolis, MD).

Interview

The recruiter contacted me after discovering an old resume I forgot I had on careerbuilder.com. I am always open to hearing offers and this was a chance to work in a field and actually utilize what I studied in college.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions due to the unique circumstances during my interview. An agent stepped in to retrieve a file and it turned out we knew each other. An offer was made on the spot after he vouched for me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were no negotiations. The interview turned very informal once another agent popped his head in the office and he recognized me. It turns out I knew him through some friends. I was offered the job on the spot pending background/credit check.

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

Interview

There was really not much to my interview. A friend of a friend is an agent and he contacted a partner who setup the interview. I met with a partner and a training manager. The interview really consisted of them trying to convince me to give the position a shot. They were clear up front about the nature of the job and explained the comp structure, which is 100% commission based.

Negotiation

n/a