New York Life

34 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Each general office has it's own culture so it's important to join a successful office with a competent management staff. This can be simply acquired by finding out how many "Partners" are at the office. The interview process should usually consist of four meetings. The first meeting consists of understanding the company. Afterwards, a self assessment homework assignment is given to be completed for the second interview to determine whether or not this career is the right fit. The third interview consists of the explanation of compensation and training bonuses. The fourth meeting is the sign up process and three months of training or minimum sales before going full time.

Interview Question – What do you expect your annual income to be in the first year? 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – This hiring process is dependent on individual managers/partners. They seek highly motivated and qualified individuals to join their team.

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

Interview Details – It will feel more like a recruiting process than anything, because that's what it is. Ask as many questions as possible, do as much research as you can, and be true to yourself. If everything they tell you sounds good, ask a few more questions, then make sure it's a good fit for you. If you're the right type of person you will succeed, if not it makes for a lot of stressful and unhappy days.

Interview Question – Most of the interview process is the manager selling you on the company. Tip: The managers are the best of the best at selling, it's why they're managers now. Be sure that it is a good fit for you, and if it is you will make a lot of money and enjoy what you're doing.   Answer Question

Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life in April 2011.

Interview Details – It was a three step process, initial screening, marketing and training, and comp. The communication was good. They allowed me to transition from my previous employer and worked with me in my training and my schedule. They were very flexible with my situation. I had to do a Personality test, and do 20 personal interviews with friend and business to see if this business was the right fit for me. They asked me to compile a list of 200 people I know. I later found out that afterward they send out a professional letter on my behalf, introducing me to the business. NO further marketing was done to solicite them. I respected that. In fact many of my first clients were people from that intro letter.

Interview Question – Why do you feel that you will be highly successful in this business?
Is this the right fit for you?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me a 3 year training allowance, which is very uncommon in this industry, other places have 6 month overides. NYL for the first year was 80% additional comission for your training allowance, case rate bonus of $450 monthly 6 paiod cases ,and expense allowance was on a sliding scale, but I am currently receiving about 8 to 10%. If you have your series 6 , 63, or 7 they have a different negotiation phase.

Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2010.

Interview Details – *Whether you are interviewing for a "Financial Advisor," "Management in Training," or "Financial Services Representative," it should be noted that all of these jobs are exactly the same. The recruiters are just using strategic titles in an attempt to hide the fact that the position is completely and entirely a life insurance sales job.

There is an initial 1:1 interview with your recruiter in which he/she spends the majority of the time talking and attempting to sell the position (unlimited compensation, company strengths, flexible hours). Following this interview, the candidate must fill out a lengthy application, personality test, and receive a background check. After passing this step, the candidate attends a group second interview to learn about marketing and training. The candidate is then required to call on 15 individuals to complete market surveys. Upon completion of the surveys, the candidate then attends a group third interview to learn about compensation (which is entirely commission based). If the candidate is still around after all of this, he/she is offered the position. This is not the end of the interview process. The candidate then must attain his/her life and health insurance licenses and attend three mandatory training sessions, complete a spread sheet of 200 contacts, and then attend a week of training called "Fundamental Career School." There is a heavy drop off rate from the time of the first interview to the completion of fundamental career school. I do find, however, that this process is very appropriate for this position. The ones who stick around this long are the ones that have the most potential at finding success in this industry. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Interview Question – What are your most important career goals? Personal goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is virtually nothing to negotiate in the interview phase as there is no form of base salary. Compensation is determined entirely from the production of the individual agent. My best advice to offer to others is to really understand what you are getting into. I was not aware of the interview process. I remember feeling proud when they offered the job to me, but they essentially offer the job to anyone who follows up. It is not a prestigious career and the prerequisites are minimal. You will find this out after meeting the other candidates in your group interviews. However, it is not easy to succeed in this business, and the successful agents are the ones who are proud of their work and demonstrate it week after week. The compensation is limitless, and if this is something that is important to you, then it will be very worthwhile to stick around through the entire interview process.

Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

Interview Details – The process was filled with steps that at first seemed like busy work but in truth were basic skills needed to perform the job descriptions. I did not feel that any of this was overwhelming though it does take persistence.

Interview Question – If you were faced with being a self managed or micro- managed employee how would you work best?   Answer Question

Oklahoma City, OK

The process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in July 2010.

Interview Details – It was pretty easy and general

Interview Questions

Vienna, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied on my college's career web site, got an e-mail to set up an interview, and I accepted.

Interview Question – Why are you here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

Interview Details – The initial phone call after applying was the following day and details about the position were very clear. This was a sales job, you would be selling life insurance and financial products. After walking into the office I was greeted and handed a packet of information about what the career involved and what the company could offer me if I were the right fit. I was then taken to a conference room with 6-8 other people who were there to interview for the same position. We were given a presentation about the company, how the hiring process works, and the possibilities for advancement within the company. Overall I was impressed with the presentation and the no nonsense approach taken about the position.

The basic overview is that there is money to be made selling insurance, but you have to work to get it. They didn't pitch it as a get quick rich idea, you were going to work for every dollar with your first two years being the worst of your career. After that you have renewals to earn from plus whatever you go get on your own.

Interview Question – What do you know about New York Life?   View Answer

Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

Interview Details – multiple interview process. interviewers/partners were professional and courteous. conversational and relational. emphasis on managers awards and potential earnings for agent. it's one of the more respected companies but seemed to have a mlm structure and feel...it wasn't explained clearly enough. training was explained and seems to be one of the better benefits of being a part of the organization. but again it is commission based and it was made to seem there was a base/draw/compensation while training and building one's business.

Interview Question – If there was one thing you want to ask me right now that you will think about later, what would it be?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

Interview Details – Got an email from them expressing interest to interview me. Had the interview with the person that emailed me. Asked him towards the end of the interview why he called me in for an interview, he said that he really didn't know, his assistant recruits people.

Overall process of the interview was casual.

Interview Question – Do you have friends & family that live in NY   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – - didn't like the person interviewing me....seemed epically disingenuous, made it seem like he wanted another peg in the wheel.

- money offered was laughable (~$2000 non-negotiable despite experience) but he tried to insist that I would make thousands and thousands in commission, even though I would have no leads, and that, according to how he suggested it, that I would have to be calling to sell insurance to friends, family, acquaintances, and their friends (seriously??)

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life