New York Life

Average Difficulty
38 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Vienna, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied on my college's career web site, got an e-mail to set up an interview, and I accepted.

Interview Question – Why are you here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

Interview Details – The initial phone call after applying was the following day and details about the position were very clear. This was a sales job, you would be selling life insurance and financial products. After walking into the office I was greeted and handed a packet of information about what the career involved and what the company could offer me if I were the right fit. I was then taken to a conference room with 6-8 other people who were there to interview for the same position. We were given a presentation about the company, how the hiring process works, and the possibilities for advancement within the company. Overall I was impressed with the presentation and the no nonsense approach taken about the position.

The basic overview is that there is money to be made selling insurance, but you have to work to get it. They didn't pitch it as a get quick rich idea, you were going to work for every dollar with your first two years being the worst of your career. After that you have renewals to earn from plus whatever you go get on your own.

Interview Question – What do you know about New York Life?   View Answer

Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

Interview Details – multiple interview process. interviewers/partners were professional and courteous. conversational and relational. emphasis on managers awards and potential earnings for agent. it's one of the more respected companies but seemed to have a mlm structure and feel...it wasn't explained clearly enough. training was explained and seems to be one of the better benefits of being a part of the organization. but again it is commission based and it was made to seem there was a base/draw/compensation while training and building one's business.

Interview Question – If there was one thing you want to ask me right now that you will think about later, what would it be?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

Interview Details – Got an email from them expressing interest to interview me. Had the interview with the person that emailed me. Asked him towards the end of the interview why he called me in for an interview, he said that he really didn't know, his assistant recruits people.

Overall process of the interview was casual.

Interview Question – Do you have friends & family that live in NY   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – - didn't like the person interviewing me....seemed epically disingenuous, made it seem like he wanted another peg in the wheel.

- money offered was laughable (~$2000 non-negotiable despite experience) but he tried to insist that I would make thousands and thousands in commission, even though I would have no leads, and that, according to how he suggested it, that I would have to be calling to sell insurance to friends, family, acquaintances, and their friends (seriously??)

Wichita, KS

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interview Details – it was a quick process, so be sure to do your research and ask lots of questions. There is a lot of information that you may not be aware of, and if they give you an indirect response, ask it again. Ask to see the data to back their answers up regarding compensation and costs to get started. The timeline for starting is confusing, and it is difficult to figure out what is true and what isn't.

Interview Question – How do you feel about life insurance and have you personally been affected by the product?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in August 2009.

Interview Details – I met a partner for New York Life at a social gathering where she enthusiastically chatted me up about her job and told me to give her a call even though I have no previous experience in the financial services industry. I curiously e-mailed her and she replied within 1 day. In the e-mail I stated that I wanted to learn more about the position and it's responsibilities but she swiftly scheduled an interview and asked me to bring my resume.

The office atmosphere seemed professional and friendly. I expected the partner to give me a general description of the job and maybe conduct an initial screening however, we got right into an awkward question and answer session. She asked the typical questions like: Describe your strengths and your weaknesses. Where do you see yourself in five years? How do you react when a client is unsatisfied? Do sales people influence your decision to purchase a product?

The question and answer session was followed by a brief explanation of the continuous training involved to become a sales agent for the company with an emphasis on how much money the company is willing to invest in your success. She stated that all training and continuing education is paid for by the company except the prelicensing course which is referred to as "the 52 hours." I was given a folder with informational broshures that serve as an orientation to a sales career. It also contained a thick questionaire to fill out regarding your work history and background. Following that, I took a personality test and was told I would be contacted if I passed.

The next appointment was the following week. The partner was still in the middle of a meeting with other partners at the time of my scheduled appointment. She apologized and quickly reviewed my work history questionaire to check for errors. I was handed another series of orientation booklets and told to start filling them out while I waited for the meeting to end. Apparently, her schedule was very full that day so she rushed through a presentation on compensation that made little sense to me since I have no experience in sales of this type. I was told to schedule an appointment for the prelicensing course and contact her before I took the exam. She was very friendly and told me to call her with any questions or concerns.

Their process for recruiting new agents seems confusing and non-conversational at first. If you are going into this from a non-corporate environment just have an open mind, read their material thoroughly to get a better understanding of their expectations, do extra research and prepare lots of questions.

Interview Question – Do sales people influence you decision to purchase a product?   View Answer

Agent

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – A three step process, confusing, they have many components to the initial compensation so it sounds better than it really is. Every element of the comp is performance related so if you don't sell, you get nothing. They will hire anyone who is willing to give it a try, unless they have a criminal past.

Interview Question – Don't remember any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, it is straight commission.

Agent

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in October 2010.

Interview Details – There are 3 interviews... And a personality test in which you should be as "cocky" as possible on when answering questions.....

Agent

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2011.

Interview Details – Partner was nice. I just get the feeling that they are telling you everything great about the position and leaving out all the bad.

Interview Question – Why would I regret hiring you?   Answer Question

Agent

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in September 2011.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter after I initiated a phone call to new york life.
Was approached in Bellevue Wa. Area but had relocation issues. Was then offered follow up interview in ut. Beautiful building in Sandy I have to say impressive considering metropolitan life in bellevue is quite sophisticated. Very classy offices, like something you see in the movie the devil wears prada.
Getting second interview on Monday, hope for success and hope that I wont get the 200 list.

J

Interview Question – Do you have anymore questions about the company?   View Answer