New York Life

Updated Nov 12, 2014

2.4

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life in April 2011.

It was a three step process, initial screening, marketing and training, and comp. The communication was good. They allowed me to transition from my previous employer and worked with me in my training and my schedule. They were very flexible with my situation. I had to do a Personality test, and do 20 personal interviews with friend and business to see if this business was the right fit for me. They asked me to compile a list of 200 people I know. I later found out that afterward they send out a professional letter on my behalf, introducing me to the business. NO further marketing was done to solicite them. I respected that. In fact many of my first clients were people from that intro letter.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you feel that you will be highly successful in this business?
    Is this the right fit for you?

Answer Question
They gave me a 3 year training allowance, which is very uncommon in this industry, other places have 6 month overides. NYL for the first year was 80% additional comission for your training allowance, case rate bonus of $450 monthly 6 paiod cases ,and expense allowance was on a sliding scale, but I am currently receiving about 8 to 10%. If you have your series 6 , 63, or 7 they have a different negotiation phase.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in November 2010.

*Whether you are interviewing for a "Financial Advisor," "Management in Training," or "Financial Services Representative," it should be noted that all of these jobs are exactly the same. The recruiters are just using strategic titles in an attempt to hide the fact that the position is completely and entirely a life insurance sales job.

There is an initial 1:1 interview with your recruiter in which he/she spends the majority of the time talking and attempting to sell the position (unlimited compensation, company strengths, flexible hours). Following this interview, the candidate must fill out a lengthy application, personality test, and receive a background check. After passing this step, the candidate attends a group second interview to learn about marketing and training. The candidate is then required to call on 15 individuals to complete market surveys. Upon completion of the surveys, the candidate then attends a group third interview to learn about compensation (which is entirely commission based). If the candidate is still around after all of this, he/she is offered the position. This is not the end of the interview process. The candidate then must attain his/her life and health insurance licenses and attend three mandatory training sessions, complete a spread sheet of 200 contacts, and then attend a week of training called "Fundamental Career School." There is a heavy drop off rate from the time of the first interview to the completion of fundamental career school. I do find, however, that this process is very appropriate for this position. The ones who stick around this long are the ones that have the most potential at finding success in this industry. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Interview Questions
    • What are your most important career goals? Personal goals?   Answer Question
    There is virtually nothing to negotiate in the interview phase as there is no form of base salary. Compensation is determined entirely from the production of the individual agent. My best advice to offer to others is to really understand what you are getting into. I was not aware of the interview process. I remember feeling proud when they offered the job to me, but they essentially offer the job to anyone who follows up. It is not a prestigious career and the prerequisites are minimal. You will find this out after meeting the other candidates in your group interviews. However, it is not easy to succeed in this business, and the successful agents are the ones who are proud of their work and demonstrate it week after week. The compensation is limitless, and if this is something that is important to you, then it will be very worthwhile to stick around through the entire interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

multiple interview process. interviewers/partners were professional and courteous. conversational and relational. emphasis on managers awards and potential earnings for agent. it's one of the more respected companies but seemed to have a mlm structure and feel...it wasn't explained clearly enough. training was explained and seems to be one of the better benefits of being a part of the organization. but again it is commission based and it was made to seem there was a base/draw/compensation while training and building one's business.

Interview Questions
    • If there was one thing you want to ask me right now that you will think about later, what would it be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

The process was filled with steps that at first seemed like busy work but in truth were basic skills needed to perform the job descriptions. I did not feel that any of this was overwhelming though it does take persistence.

Interview Questions
    • If you were faced with being a self managed or micro- managed employee how would you work best?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in July 2010.

It was pretty easy and general

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

The initial phone call after applying was the following day and details about the position were very clear. This was a sales job, you would be selling life insurance and financial products. After walking into the office I was greeted and handed a packet of information about what the career involved and what the company could offer me if I were the right fit. I was then taken to a conference room with 6-8 other people who were there to interview for the same position. We were given a presentation about the company, how the hiring process works, and the possibilities for advancement within the company. Overall I was impressed with the presentation and the no nonsense approach taken about the position.

The basic overview is that there is money to be made selling insurance, but you have to work to get it. They didn't pitch it as a get quick rich idea, you were going to work for every dollar with your first two years being the worst of your career. After that you have renewals to earn from plus whatever you go get on your own.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

Got an email from them expressing interest to interview me. Had the interview with the person that emailed me. Asked him towards the end of the interview why he called me in for an interview, he said that he really didn't know, his assistant recruits people.

Overall process of the interview was casual.

Interview Questions

- didn't like the person interviewing me....seemed epically disingenuous, made it seem like he wanted another peg in the wheel.

- money offered was laughable (~$2000 non-negotiable despite experience) but he tried to insist that I would make thousands and thousands in commission, even though I would have no leads, and that, according to how he suggested it, that I would have to be calling to sell insurance to friends, family, acquaintances, and their friends (seriously??)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

it was a quick process, so be sure to do your research and ask lots of questions. There is a lot of information that you may not be aware of, and if they give you an indirect response, ask it again. Ask to see the data to back their answers up regarding compensation and costs to get started. The timeline for starting is confusing, and it is difficult to figure out what is true and what isn't.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about life insurance and have you personally been affected by the product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

I was recruited in by another agent who gave management my resume. I was then called in by a partner and interviewed. The interview was pretty straight forward, and more time was spent explaining the company and job duties, than questions directed towards me. At the end of the interview, I was offered the job by going through the training program.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

I applied on my college's career web site, got an e-mail to set up an interview, and I accepted.

No negotiations.