New York Life

Average Difficulty
38 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Agent

The process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life in April 2011.

Interview Details – I completed 4 rounds of interviews for this job. First, I met with a managing partner and discussed my qualifications. I had many questions about insurance sales, and the managing partner answered each one effectively. After the initial interview, I met with him again and he broke down the employee compensation for me. On the third day, I met with the person who is in charge of new employee training. He discussed with me the different phases of training that all New York Life agents go through in their careers. On the final interview day, I was offered the position.

Interview Question – How much do you want to make?   View Answer

Agent

The process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in October 2008.

Interview Details – They recruited me from a referral from a friend, the first interview was with a partner and the next two with the partner and managing partner. A personality test must be taken on the first interview, and if you pass then you are called in for a second interview. They are concerned with your natural market and if you have a big base for networking. If you are not a licensed to sell life or health you have to do a 52 hour course in order to take the state exam. Once you pass that you take a two week fundamental course where you learn the basics to the industry. Finally after that you're are on your own to produce and meet your quota each month.

Interview Question – What organizations do you belong to and why?   Answer Question

Agent

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

Interview Details – I attended a job fair where I spoke with a manager at New York Life, since they were one of the better insurance companies at the fair. It was a pleasant conversation, but I didn't think much about it once I left the fair, because I hadn't really considered insurance sales as a career choice. A couple of weeks later, they called me for an interview. I interviewed with two managers simultaneously, and again, the conversation went well. They gave me a good basic understanding of the position, New York Life's history, and the company's financial performance. The next interview was a group setting consisting of a few other agent candidates along with a senior manager explaning the agent contract, the training process, the training base pay structure, and the commission structure. The final interview was with a senior manager who answered any additional questions I had about New York Life, being an agent, etc. At the conclusion of that meeting, I was invited to attend their orientation sessions, which I agreed to attend.

The orientation sessions are required of anyone who is interested in becoming a sales agent with New York Life. During this time (about four weeks), the plan is for the candidate to acquire their license to sell life and health insurance in their respective state, if they are not already licensed.

New York Life does a background and credit check, which is conducted by an independent company.

From what I've observed so far, the people in the office seem to be pretty professional and upbeat, and appear to genuinely like and respect each other. There appears to be good comraderie between the various employees at all levels, and everyone I have encountered so far has been very pleasant, supportive, and friendly. The office itself is very clean, comfortable, and nicely furnished. Professional attire seems to be the norm - I haven't seen a pair of khakis yet, and all the men I've seen have been wearing ties. The women wear suits and professional clothing as well.

If you decide to interview with New York Life, dress professionally, and make sure to ask some intelligent questions. If there is anything you do not fully understand, ask about it. I found them to be willing to answer whatever question I had.

Overall, I found the interviewing process with New York Life to be one of the better interviewing experiences I have had - and that is the case whether I end up working for them or not.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important part of this job?   Answer Question
  • What elements of your professional background will allow you to be a success at New York Life?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase, since this is a commission-based position. They do offer a training base that can supplement your commissions.

Agent

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Life in January 2008.

Interview Details – Very In your face. Will ask questions like can you handle this. Very Upfront about the uncertainity and absurdity of the position. Work,commute, suits and ties daily without certainity of pay.

Interview Questions

• Can you handle this career?   Answer Question
  • How many people can you call right now that will sit down and meet with you to discuss there finances?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

Agent

The process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

Interview Details – I contacted NYL after meeting with them a few years ago and scored an interview. The first interview went over the training offered to agents and the second the compensation plan. It was an easy interview because I already knew who I was speaking to. The compensation was confusing but I'm confident that I will do well.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in sales?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated being able to start in January 1.

Agent

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in May 2010.

Interview Details – Initially, I was supposed to interview with the Manager's assistant, but shortly after I sat down she said she'd see if her boss was available to join us. So I interviewed with the boss and his assistant. The assistant read from a script (very green) and the boss told me of how successful agents can be and that he usually doesn't meet with candidates so early on in the process. I found it strange to have someone so new handle much of the first interview, even though it was an in-person screening. I told the manager that I had some questions about the position itself. I was told my questions would be covered in the next interview. I was given assignments/questionnaires to complete (list of family friends and contacts) and came back for the next interview. We discussed my list of contacts and the manager assured me he would help me close business when he could. The next interview was a discussion of compensation.

Interview Question – Why do you feel you'd be successful in this field?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – There wasn't a lot of specific information given, the interviews were more of them selling the agent career as a potentially lucrative one. Over all it came down to me feeling this was not a fit for me.

Agent

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2008.

Interview Details – I was coming from another financial services company. Referred by a friend the interview process was more of a wooing and a wine and dine than me trying to kick in the door. I was vetted for compliance, asked about client situations and complaint situations. New York Life is big on teaming agent together (in some General Offices this is used as a way for experienced agents to feed off of newer ones versus a pure mentoring process). I was asked about my abilities to manage a business and resources.

Interview Question – Suppose you are working with another agent to sell a large policy. You had no prior agreement on how to split commissions and the other agent feels they deserve 60% for their efforts. You don't agree. How would you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. You eat what you kill in this business. Unless you are looking into partnership (recruiting your own team).

Agent

The process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in April 2010.

Interview Details – Managing Partner did most of the talking during the initial face-to-face interview, and compensation was only mentioned briefly. He was very professional and and everyone I encountered at the office was very friendly. Second interview was more detailed and I was able to ask more questions. The two big negatives I took away from the interview were the lack of detail regarding compensation and the lack of specifics regarding product offerings. Also was somewhat surprised by the request to compile up to 200 names of family and friends to initially market to. I have a third interview scheduled, but I'm not sure If I'm going to follow through.

Interview Question – What are the top five things you are looking for in a company?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – My major concerns are the lack of a salary during training and the initial out-of-pocket expenses.