New York Life

2.4

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in August 2009.

I met a partner for New York Life at a social gathering where she enthusiastically chatted me up about her job and told me to give her a call even though I have no previous experience in the financial services industry. I curiously e-mailed her and she replied within 1 day. In the e-mail I stated that I wanted to learn more about the position and it's responsibilities but she swiftly scheduled an interview and asked me to bring my resume.

The office atmosphere seemed professional and friendly. I expected the partner to give me a general description of the job and maybe conduct an initial screening however, we got right into an awkward question and answer session. She asked the typical questions like: Describe your strengths and your weaknesses. Where do you see yourself in five years? How do you react when a client is unsatisfied? Do sales people influence your decision to purchase a product?

The question and answer session was followed by a brief explanation of the continuous training involved to become a sales agent for the company with an emphasis on how much money the company is willing to invest in your success. She stated that all training and continuing education is paid for by the company except the prelicensing course which is referred to as "the 52 hours." I was given a folder with informational broshures that serve as an orientation to a sales career. It also contained a thick questionaire to fill out regarding your work history and background. Following that, I took a personality test and was told I would be contacted if I passed.

The next appointment was the following week. The partner was still in the middle of a meeting with other partners at the time of my scheduled appointment. She apologized and quickly reviewed my work history questionaire to check for errors. I was handed another series of orientation booklets and told to start filling them out while I waited for the meeting to end. Apparently, her schedule was very full that day so she rushed through a presentation on compensation that made little sense to me since I have no experience in sales of this type. I was told to schedule an appointment for the prelicensing course and contact her before I took the exam. She was very friendly and told me to call her with any questions or concerns.

Their process for recruiting new agents seems confusing and non-conversational at first. If you are going into this from a non-corporate environment just have an open mind, read their material thoroughly to get a better understanding of their expectations, do extra research and prepare lots of questions.

Interview Questions
  • Do sales people influence you decision to purchase a product?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

A three step process, confusing, they have many components to the initial compensation so it sounds better than it really is. Every element of the comp is performance related so if you don't sell, you get nothing. They will hire anyone who is willing to give it a try, unless they have a criminal past.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation, it is straight commission.

Agent Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in November 2011.

Partner was nice. I just get the feeling that they are telling you everything great about the position and leaving out all the bad.

Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in September 2011.

Was contacted by a recruiter after I initiated a phone call to new york life.
    Was approached in Bellevue Wa. Area but had relocation issues. Was then offered follow up interview in ut. Beautiful building in Sandy I have to say impressive considering metropolitan life in bellevue is quite sophisticated. Very classy offices, like something you see in the movie the devil wears prada.
    Getting second interview on Monday, hope for success and hope that I wont get the 200 list.

J

Interview Questions
    • Do you have anymore questions about the company?   View Answer

Agent Interview

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Life in April 2011.

I completed 4 rounds of interviews for this job. First, I met with a managing partner and discussed my qualifications. I had many questions about insurance sales, and the managing partner answered each one effectively. After the initial interview, I met with him again and he broke down the employee compensation for me. On the third day, I met with the person who is in charge of new employee training. He discussed with me the different phases of training that all New York Life agents go through in their careers. On the final interview day, I was offered the position.

Agent Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in October 2010.

There are 3 interviews... And a personality test in which you should be as "cocky" as possible on when answering questions.....

Agent Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

I attended a job fair where I spoke with a manager at New York Life, since they were one of the better insurance companies at the fair. It was a pleasant conversation, but I didn't think much about it once I left the fair, because I hadn't really considered insurance sales as a career choice. A couple of weeks later, they called me for an interview. I interviewed with two managers simultaneously, and again, the conversation went well. They gave me a good basic understanding of the position, New York Life's history, and the company's financial performance. The next interview was a group setting consisting of a few other agent candidates along with a senior manager explaning the agent contract, the training process, the training base pay structure, and the commission structure. The final interview was with a senior manager who answered any additional questions I had about New York Life, being an agent, etc. At the conclusion of that meeting, I was invited to attend their orientation sessions, which I agreed to attend.

The orientation sessions are required of anyone who is interested in becoming a sales agent with New York Life. During this time (about four weeks), the plan is for the candidate to acquire their license to sell life and health insurance in their respective state, if they are not already licensed.

New York Life does a background and credit check, which is conducted by an independent company.

From what I've observed so far, the people in the office seem to be pretty professional and upbeat, and appear to genuinely like and respect each other. There appears to be good comraderie between the various employees at all levels, and everyone I have encountered so far has been very pleasant, supportive, and friendly. The office itself is very clean, comfortable, and nicely furnished. Professional attire seems to be the norm - I haven't seen a pair of khakis yet, and all the men I've seen have been wearing ties. The women wear suits and professional clothing as well.

If you decide to interview with New York Life, dress professionally, and make sure to ask some intelligent questions. If there is anything you do not fully understand, ask about it. I found them to be willing to answer whatever question I had.

Overall, I found the interviewing process with New York Life to be one of the better interviewing experiences I have had - and that is the case whether I end up working for them or not.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important part of this job?   Answer Question
    • What elements of your professional background will allow you to be a success at New York Life?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase, since this is a commission-based position. They do offer a training base that can supplement your commissions.

Agent Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

I contacted NYL after meeting with them a few years ago and scored an interview. The first interview went over the training offered to agents and the second the compensation plan. It was an easy interview because I already knew who I was speaking to. The compensation was confusing but I'm confident that I will do well.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated being able to start in January 1.

Agent Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in May 2010.

Initially, I was supposed to interview with the Manager's assistant, but shortly after I sat down she said she'd see if her boss was available to join us. So I interviewed with the boss and his assistant. The assistant read from a script (very green) and the boss told me of how successful agents can be and that he usually doesn't meet with candidates so early on in the process. I found it strange to have someone so new handle much of the first interview, even though it was an in-person screening. I told the manager that I had some questions about the position itself. I was told my questions would be covered in the next interview. I was given assignments/questionnaires to complete (list of family friends and contacts) and came back for the next interview. We discussed my list of contacts and the manager assured me he would help me close business when he could. The next interview was a discussion of compensation.

Interview Questions

There wasn't a lot of specific information given, the interviews were more of them selling the agent career as a potentially lucrative one. Over all it came down to me feeling this was not a fit for me.

Agent Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in April 2010.

Managing Partner did most of the talking during the initial face-to-face interview, and compensation was only mentioned briefly. He was very professional and and everyone I encountered at the office was very friendly. Second interview was more detailed and I was able to ask more questions. The two big negatives I took away from the interview were the lack of detail regarding compensation and the lack of specifics regarding product offerings. Also was somewhat surprised by the request to compile up to 200 names of family and friends to initially market to. I have a third interview scheduled, but I'm not sure If I'm going to follow through.

Interview Questions
    • What are the top five things you are looking for in a company?   Answer Question

My major concerns are the lack of a salary during training and the initial out-of-pocket expenses.