New York Life Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2015

2.6

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter first then if you do well in that, you meet with your perspective manager and the VP of the department. They ask normal interview questions and want to make sure that you are capable of multiple tasking. Let them know you're a fast learner and that you relish being under pressure

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years, why us, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, salary is pretty low and in order to get paid for OT you have to get approved by your manager first

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life (Lakewood, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a behavioral interview with two managers and last all of 10 minutes and I got a rejection the same day. I was under the impression that they already had someone else in mind.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for this position   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New Hyde Park, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life (New Hyde Park, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview was very pleasant. I was given a copious amount of information about the company and it's prospects while there and all of my questions and concerns were answered honestly.

Interview Questions

There is a very long training process that had the possibility of lasting over 3 months. Not to mention, there would be the possibility of no pay for the first month. I could not afford that.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

Interview

I went in for 2 interviews, one with the managing partner and another with the office manager then after the last interview, they send you an assessment. I did very well on the interviews but when I was called back about my assessment (which is a personality test) they told me I do not qualify. The entire process took about 1 month (1 week for my resume to be seen, 2nd week 1st interview and a small writing and math assignment, 3rd week 2nd interview and assessment, and 4th week rejection phone called)

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in September 2013.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter after I applied online. Had one phone interview and a panel interview. I was called back and told the VP wanted to speak with me. After I spoke with him I was offered a position 3 days later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was satisfied with the starting salary. More than I expected

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Very professional, yet friendly. Persuasive. Energizing. Just expected a higher salary,

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Seattle, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

Applied on line, waited almost two weeks, had frankly given up. Received an email response then a call to attend group orientation/interview. Average questions and typical process, lots of paper work and forms.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life (Tampa, FL) in February 2009.

Interview

3 Interviews; First with HR; Second and third were with a call center manager. They were pretty easy/standard interviews. Most of the managers interviewing for these types of positions are mainly looking for scheduling flexibility as call center staff are generally required to work overtime and have flexible schedules.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life in June 2013.

Interview

Several months after applying, I heard back from New York Life about this position, and was scheduled for an interview at their Cleveland Service Center, where I met briefly with the human resources representative. She let me know I would be speaking with two of the call center managers. I then went into one of the conference rooms and spoke with them. We had about an hour long interview, they both took turns asking questions, and then they sort of surprised me by saying I would then be speaking with their supervisor. I went to her office and spoke with her for about an hour, and two and a half hours after I came, I was finished. They were all quite nice, but it was very formal. About a week later I received my offer over the phone, and was told I wouldn't receive anything in writing until I accepted, which I thought was just a bit odd, but I asked a lot of questions and took a few days to consider it. After I accepted the position, I received my formal offer letter and information on benefits.

Interview Questions

• There were no technical questions, per se, but I had no prior experience in call centers. I think the most unexpected question was when the Call Center Supervisor asked me about how I thought my time as a lifeguard (which happened to be on my resume at the time) would help me in the call center environment.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview

there were several interviews along with a test. I had to interview with HR and then later with the hiring manager. The test was basic information about spelling and customer service. I will need to have my life insurance license and health insurance license. If I did not pass the test within a certain time frame then I would be terminated.

Interview Questions

• what is your work expericence   1 Answer
    • How do you handle irate customers?   1 Answer

Negotiation

there was just an offer for the position. A letter was sent for confirmation of the position and offer. I was suggest trying to counter offer if you have experience and a life insurance license. There should be a discussion of career goals and opportunities for employees. It would be nice to be recognized for outstanding customer service.