New York Life

Average Difficulty
35 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Waltham, MA

I interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Interview Details – Quick response, easy to schedule, long interview process on the day of including tour of the site, training rooms, offices, meeting facilities etc. It seems the interviewer does more to sell you on the job than you have to sell your own skill set at times.

Interview Question – compare and contrast this company with Metlife, AIG and others in the same field   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter after meeting a rep from New York Life at a jobs fair. I came in for an interview, but stopped the process after the first session, which was over an hour long. Questions tended to be softball questions (what are you strengths, where do you want to be in five years etc).

Interview Question – All were very straight forward.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through college career center, got a call back within 1 week to set up an interview. I find out on arrival that it is a group interview and am kept waiting 45 mins. Guy struts in with slicked back hair and shirt half unbottoned. Real boiler room type guy. He was rude and short with everyone. Dismissed me not long after, thank god.

Interview Question – If you read the top section about the hiring and interview process then this will make sense: why do you want to work here was the most difficult questions (and the same time the easiest questions). I didnt want to work there but was too embarrassed to say so, so I fumbled through it talking about starting a career and making money to provide for my family.   Answer Question

Knoxville, TN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview w/ HR specialist, general questions regarding contact info, employment/educational history, career goals.
Face-to-face interview w/ HR specialist, provide company and position information, overview job responsibilities, required licenses and how to obtain them, advise on issues regarding background/credit check, in-depth questions about prior work experience and allowed to take skills assessment.
Interview w/ Managing Partner, demonstration of compensation structure, told to generate 200 contact info (name, address, phone/email, occupation) in order to proceed w/ training after initial licensing exam, informed of 36-month training program and how it is catered to the skills I desire to obtain.
OFFERED JOB :)

Interview Question – "Why are you here?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. I understood work and compensation were entirely up to me and my performance.

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2013.

Interview Details – Kind of a joke. They are trying to sell you harder than you are trying to sell them. Base pay is 0 and will always be 0 at this position. They will hire nearly anyone with a college degree without a criminal record. The hiring process is just to throw stuff at the wall and see who sticks. Nearly 95% year 1 industry turnover and 80% within NYL.

Interview Question – How well do you handle rejection?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

West Bridgewater, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in February 2013.

Interview Details – Your resume is reviewed electronically and you are then provided an initial meeting. The interview process is a bit involved. You meet four times and are provided with the training information if hired.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I am interested in a financial advisor position, not interested in sales.

San Antonio, TX

I applied through other source and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – I received a call from a gentleman who was wary to tell me too many details over the phone, he just wanted me to take my time to meet with them to see if I'd be "selected" to fill out an application. It was very shady since he was just trying to evade providing details but wanted me to think I was "selected" for a possible application. He mentioned some license that was required and later stated that I'd have to pay for it and I'd be "refunded". I decided to not go for the "interview" and he was a bit rude saying "Its ok, I guess you don't really get it". Well I did get it, but I am not interested in this line of work. Maybe next time instead of ending the conversation on a rude note, it would be great if your cold caller can understand that a person is not interested in that line of work to begin with.

Interview Question – Apparently the difficulty was in it for the caller when I asked what the position was about and the licenses required for the position. He was hesitant to provide details, after all, he was calling me then stating that I'd have to go in for the "interview" to THEN apply for the job IF I was selected.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I posted my resume online but my credentials have nothing to do with their position available and also it is not a career I would enjoy for myself.

Edison, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted after meeting a recruiter at a job fair and called in for an interview within days. The first interview was not so much an interview as a briefing on what the company is about. The hiring manager talked as if I was already a certain hire. He went over what the position entailed, compensation and handed me some forms to fill out for the second interview. The entire process didn't take longer than 30 minutes.
The second interview was the basic personal questions about weaknesses, strengths, teamwork etc.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. It was standard interview fare that you could google up in preparation for an interview.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I accepted a better offer in a different field.

Waltham, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2013.

Interview Details – Super long interview process. I had 4 meetings over a month before an offer was made. There weren't really any difficult questions - all pretty standard. I wasn't nervous or surprised by anything. My interviewer was a super nice guy that I really liked and would have been a strong factor if I had chosen to work there.

Reason for Declining – The compensation is all incentive based. There was a lot of earning potential but you don't have a single dollar before you make NYL money. It wasn't right for me but may be a good opportunity for someone else.

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in May 2013.

Interview Details – First "interview" is really just meeting the recruiter and time to ask questions you have. Then you are set up with "info sessions," one at a time, (there are 3) before the real interview with the person making hiring decisions. Really makes you think about whether or not you want to be selling for them. They are seemingly transparent about all of their work and success so it seems like a good gig, if thats the industry you want to be in.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!