New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.1

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life in March 2015.

Interview

It's a screening interview. It is scheduled a week before the phone interview. It is phone interview because I cannot make it on site by the scheduled time. During the interview, I was required to introduce myself: where I was born and raised, what my experiences are, etc. then the recruiter introduced two jobs to me and asked me to choose which one I prefer. After the interview, the interviewee sent me a link to process the next steps. Hiring decision is still pending.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

He basically just asked questions trying to get to know me and to see if I would make a good sales person (We both came to the conclusion that I would not!). After I admitted that the job didn't seem right for me, he proceeded to ask me if there was anyone I knew from my small hometown that I could recommend for the job. That kind of upset me. But he was still nice about the whole thing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newburgh, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Newburgh, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

They conduct a 5 interview process. They give you a homework assignment on the 2nd interview which is meant to see if you would be a good fit for the company. It basically lets you practice what you would do if you were hired. If this assignment is difficult for you, then you probably will not be successful in this field.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you worked hard at something and failed. How did you overcome this situation?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I was contacted by the Managing Partner concerning the Financial Advisor position. I then went on an in person interview with him. He was very personable and honest about the position. I really appreciated how he emphasized that this position is "a career and not a job." I was told that there would be a total of three interviews.

Interview Questions

• One question that I was not expecting was as follows: "Describe in three words what you consider a good salesperson to be."   1 Answer

I made it through the first interview and was encouraged to submit the official application. I decided not to continue with the interview process because of the commission-based compensation. I was told that New York Life will help you with the first three years starting at around $35,000 and then goes down. After these three years, it will turn to all commission-based compensation.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I had two "interviews". They were more like meetings than an actual interview. Each time I spent over an hour getting to the interviewer and receiving details about the job. The interviewer was a really nice guy. I have nothing bad to say about the interview process. The interviews are really just New York Life trying to make sure that you are a good person with solid social skills.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. You just pretty much tell the interview about your life.   Answer Question

I found a job that was a better fit for me.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The recruiters are very friendly and will seem genuinely interested in hiring you. After completing an application online I received a phone call and email to set up an interview. The 1st interview you take an assessment. write down some sales reference, they talk about their personal experiences with the company and their success, and will probably talk about what market they think you would be good to target as a salesmen. The company has great recognition and products but the job itself is VERY tough work. First off it's 100% commission and you have to find ALL of your own leads. This means they will try to pressure you to bother all of your family, friends, and past companies you have worked for. You have to have some money saved to get through a couple months of building your client base, but you won't get paid unless your selling life insurance to completely random people you stumbled upon. Also you have to spend money which they say will be reimbursed to get certified to sell their insurance. They invited me for a 2nd interview, before the day of my 2nd interview arrived I accepted another offer for a company that actually offers salary, and told them I wasn't interested.They are very friendly and will definitely try to lure in the naive and young to do their back breaking work for them. They may try to spin it as "well people that don't make it, don't work hard enough". Not true those people realize that this job is being a glorified door salesmen, no different than the ones in cheap suits selling magazines to unsuspecting people. I will say this, life insurance itself is a very valuable thing, and isn't going anywhere, but the methods that they use to sell it are completely ridiculous. Also if your not in a big affluent city, you may have a tough time selling investments to locals who can barely meet their monthly rent. There is no risk for them, you have to invest in them before they invest in you. If you don't work out well hey they haven't spent a penny on you.

Interview Questions

• None, most of them are sales related but they are just desperate for warm bodies.   Answer Question

100% comission

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Initially was contacted by phone for an interview which was very routine and professional. Then went to the office located near Grand Central for another interview. Was offered to come back for another interview so I could receive information about compensation.

Interview Questions

• Who was the demographic I could reach at that particular time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Easy and asked questions I expected them to ask. They want to make sure you are making the right decision when joining NYL and they really want you to know what to expect going into insurance sales and advising since it's a hard industry to stay afloat in.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Commission based.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Directly got a interview for my position, however, when I headed to the office, they told me the internship can not be provided to international students because they want the internship to become a full time job.

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

First interview went well. Second interview was disappointing since hiring manager never showed up. He left me waiting for over an hour. They don't validate parking. The hiring manager called me 15 minutes after 3pm to see where I was and stated that we had an interview at 2pm. I laughed it off since I am looking for training and support. If the manager is too busy to meet with me on time, then how will the support be? I waited in the lobby for an hour before I left. Maybe that's some kind of a test to determine how much of a push over you are.