New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Fort Wayne, IN) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied through an internet job search site and was called back fairly quickly. The first interview was with the Senior Partner's assistant, who asked me basic interview questions. She gave an overview of the company and I was invited back to interview with the Senior Partner. My second interview with the Senior Partner went well, and I was invited back for a third interview, which is scheduled in the near future.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I met with a man in their location near Highland Park, IL. We spoke for an hour; there was a slideshow and a lot of learning about how established and huge the company is... which it prides itself on.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. And what are the 5 things you would want out of your ideal company.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Edison, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

Shady. A waste of time and decietful. I was presented with a "base salary" to start plus your insurance commissions. You would start with Health & Life and can add your Financial Licenses later. I made it very clear I was not in a position to join a commission only position. I was assured of the base salary from the start.... I find out at the end of the "hiring interview" after: meet & greet, 1st interview, background check, jumping through hoops, providing 4 business references, 10 personal references, 2nd interview, completed a 15 person questionnairre, psych test, etc..... Such a lie. I was told that the "base salary" was not paid as a salary as presented from the start! ?!!! It was a performance base draw that can only be accessed with your commission. On top of that, you needed to be approved by NYL after completing a now 200 Person Circle of Qualified Investors and meet other criteria. The interviewer even told me "don't quit your job just yet, while you go out and complete your 200-250 Investor Circle....." Are you kidding me? Such a decietful waste of my time. Horrible to think about.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Financial Advisor?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life in March 2015.

Interview

It's a screening interview. It is scheduled a week before the phone interview. It is phone interview because I cannot make it on site by the scheduled time. During the interview, I was required to introduce myself: where I was born and raised, what my experiences are, etc. then the recruiter introduced two jobs to me and asked me to choose which one I prefer. After the interview, the interviewee sent me a link to process the next steps. Hiring decision is still pending.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

He basically just asked questions trying to get to know me and to see if I would make a good sales person (We both came to the conclusion that I would not!). After I admitted that the job didn't seem right for me, he proceeded to ask me if there was anyone I knew from my small hometown that I could recommend for the job. That kind of upset me. But he was still nice about the whole thing.

Anonymous Employee in Newburgh, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Newburgh, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

They conduct a 5 interview process. They give you a homework assignment on the 2nd interview which is meant to see if you would be a good fit for the company. It basically lets you practice what you would do if you were hired. If this assignment is difficult for you, then you probably will not be successful in this field.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you worked hard at something and failed. How did you overcome this situation?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I was contacted by the Managing Partner concerning the Financial Advisor position. I then went on an in person interview with him. He was very personable and honest about the position. I really appreciated how he emphasized that this position is "a career and not a job." I was told that there would be a total of three interviews.

Interview Questions

• One question that I was not expecting was as follows: "Describe in three words what you consider a good salesperson to be."   1 Answer

I made it through the first interview and was encouraged to submit the official application. I decided not to continue with the interview process because of the commission-based compensation. I was told that New York Life will help you with the first three years starting at around $35,000 and then goes down. After these three years, it will turn to all commission-based compensation.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I had two "interviews". They were more like meetings than an actual interview. Each time I spent over an hour getting to the interviewer and receiving details about the job. The interviewer was a really nice guy. I have nothing bad to say about the interview process. The interviews are really just New York Life trying to make sure that you are a good person with solid social skills.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. You just pretty much tell the interview about your life.   Answer Question

I found a job that was a better fit for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

process took 3 weeks; one on one interview. There is 3 interview days where you are interviewed by companies partner or manager. Know about the company.overall not a hard interview process.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The recruiters are very friendly and will seem genuinely interested in hiring you. After completing an application online I received a phone call and email to set up an interview. The 1st interview you take an assessment. write down some sales reference, they talk about their personal experiences with the company and their success, and will probably talk about what market they think you would be good to target as a salesmen. The company has great recognition and products but the job itself is VERY tough work. First off it's 100% commission and you have to find ALL of your own leads. This means they will try to pressure you to bother all of your family, friends, and past companies you have worked for. You have to have some money saved to get through a couple months of building your client base, but you won't get paid unless your selling life insurance to completely random people you stumbled upon. Also you have to spend money which they say will be reimbursed to get certified to sell their insurance. They invited me for a 2nd interview, before the day of my 2nd interview arrived I accepted another offer for a company that actually offers salary, and told them I wasn't interested.They are very friendly and will definitely try to lure in the naive and young to do their back breaking work for them. They may try to spin it as "well people that don't make it, don't work hard enough". Not true those people realize that this job is being a glorified door salesmen, no different than the ones in cheap suits selling magazines to unsuspecting people. I will say this, life insurance itself is a very valuable thing, and isn't going anywhere, but the methods that they use to sell it are completely ridiculous. Also if your not in a big affluent city, you may have a tough time selling investments to locals who can barely meet their monthly rent. There is no risk for them, you have to invest in them before they invest in you. If you don't work out well hey they haven't spent a penny on you.

Interview Questions

• None, most of them are sales related but they are just desperate for warm bodies.   Answer Question

100% comission