New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.2

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life.

I was first contacted and had a basic interview with the recruiter. This went fine and then I was scheduled for a second interview with the branch manager. This was a different interview than I normally have. They were trying to sell the company to me and not the other way around. After this I had another interview / informational meeting because the second one was with another employee not the manager because he was busy.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Advisor Interview

The initial interview was with the Managing Partner, and the Human Resources Manager. It was essentially a "get to know you" interview, in which I assume they were simply determining whether or not my personality was a good fit for the company. They gave me a Personality Test to complete, as well as a list of questions regarding my life goals to answer and bring back upon my second interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are my goals over the next 3-5 years, both financially and personally?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

It was more of a sales pitch then anything else. They tell you what you're going to be doing and why its such a great job, the truth is there are 5 other companies within 10 miles that will hire you to do the exact same thing. These jobs are 100% commission based and cost the company almost nothing to hire you on. The interview was pretty laid back though, nice people. If I was interested in selling investment plans and life insurance, Id work there.

Interview Questions
    • If I asked your best friend 5 characteristics that describe you, what would they be?   Answer Question

Not interested in 100% commission job

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life.

Four Interviews total. Interview one seemed like they were trying to sell you on the company. Interview two was a compensation interview. Interview three was a training interview. Interview four was the acceptance interview.

Interview Questions

Pay is performance based and I did not feel comfortable with the current staff at the office.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through other source – interviewed at New York Life.

I received a call from a gentleman who was wary to tell me too many details over the phone, he just wanted me to take my time to meet with them to see if I'd be "selected" to fill out an application. It was very shady since he was just trying to evade providing details but wanted me to think I was "selected" for a possible application. He mentioned some license that was required and later stated that I'd have to pay for it and I'd be "refunded". I decided to not go for the "interview" and he was a bit rude saying "Its ok, I guess you don't really get it". Well I did get it, but I am not interested in this line of work. Maybe next time instead of ending the conversation on a rude note, it would be great if your cold caller can understand that a person is not interested in that line of work to begin with.

Interview Questions
    • Apparently the difficulty was in it for the caller when I asked what the position was about and the licenses required for the position. He was hesitant to provide details, after all, he was calling me then stating that I'd have to go in for the "interview" to THEN apply for the job IF I was selected.   Answer Question

I posted my resume online but my credentials have nothing to do with their position available and also it is not a career I would enjoy for myself.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Initially was contacted by phone for an interview which was very routine and professional. Then went to the office located near Grand Central for another interview. Was offered to come back for another interview so I could receive information about compensation.

Interview Questions
    • Who was the demographic I could reach at that particular time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

Interviewed by a team manager who basically spent about 45 minutes selling me the job. He showed me his bank account and how much he made and spoke at length about how easy the job was and how easy it was to sell people the products offered by New York Life because "they basically sell themselves", all in an effort to impress me into taking the job. In other words, it was the definition of a sales pitch for a sales job.

The Good: Extensive 2 week training course and sponsorship of all necessary licenses. "High earning potential" and clear metrics for advancement (you make X amount in commission in year Y and you get to move up to position Z)

The Bad: Purely commission based position i.e. no base salary. Company provides no leads.

Interview Questions

I only declined because I had no sales experience and was uncomfortable with the idea of not having a base salary. Overall the position itself seemed like a good deal if you can stomach the aforementioned and/or if you already have sales experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Bridgewater, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Bridgewater, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in February 2013.

Your resume is reviewed electronically and you are then provided an initial meeting. The interview process is a bit involved. You meet four times and are provided with the training information if hired.

Interview Questions

I am interested in a financial advisor position, not interested in sales.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2013.

Kind of a joke. They are trying to sell you harder than you are trying to sell them. Base pay is 0 and will always be 0 at this position. They will hire nearly anyone with a college degree without a criminal record. The hiring process is just to throw stuff at the wall and see who sticks. Nearly 95% year 1 industry turnover and 80% within NYL.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

I first met the New York Life representative at a college career fair. We exchanged contact information and set up the interview shortly thereafter. The interview was an odd experience. I believe I was only asked two or three questions in total. The questions were basic and straight forward. Honestly, I felt like he was selling the company to me, rather than interviewing me. He explained how NYL is a great company to work for, how much money I'd be making, etc.

Interview Questions

The interview was the first of what I understand is three. After the interview, I was told to contact the interviewer if I was still interested in the position.