New York Life

Updated Feb 6, 2015
Updated Feb 6, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

Interviewed by a team manager who basically spent about 45 minutes selling me the job. He showed me his bank account and how much he made and spoke at length about how easy the job was and how easy it was to sell people the products offered by New York Life because "they basically sell themselves", all in an effort to impress me into taking the job. In other words, it was the definition of a sales pitch for a sales job.

The Good: Extensive 2 week training course and sponsorship of all necessary licenses. "High earning potential" and clear metrics for advancement (you make X amount in commission in year Y and you get to move up to position Z)

The Bad: Purely commission based position i.e. no base salary. Company provides no leads.

Interview Questions

I only declined because I had no sales experience and was uncomfortable with the idea of not having a base salary. Overall the position itself seemed like a good deal if you can stomach the aforementioned and/or if you already have sales experience.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Quick response, easy to schedule, long interview process on the day of including tour of the site, training rooms, offices, meeting facilities etc. It seems the interviewer does more to sell you on the job than you have to sell your own skill set at times.

Interview Questions
    • compare and contrast this company with Metlife, AIG and others in the same field   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Phone interview w/ HR specialist, general questions regarding contact info, employment/educational history, career goals.
    Face-to-face interview w/ HR specialist, provide company and position information, overview job responsibilities, required licenses and how to obtain them, advise on issues regarding background/credit check, in-depth questions about prior work experience and allowed to take skills assessment.
    Interview w/ Managing Partner, demonstration of compensation structure, told to generate 200 contact info (name, address, phone/email, occupation) in order to proceed w/ training after initial licensing exam, informed of 36-month training program and how it is catered to the skills I desire to obtain.
    OFFERED JOB :)

Interview Questions
    None. I understood work and compensation were entirely up to me and my performance.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Applied through college career center, got a call back within 1 week to set up an interview. I find out on arrival that it is a group interview and am kept waiting 45 mins. Guy struts in with slicked back hair and shirt half unbottoned. Real boiler room type guy. He was rude and short with everyone. Dismissed me not long after, thank god.

Interview Questions
    • If you read the top section about the hiring and interview process then this will make sense: why do you want to work here was the most difficult questions (and the same time the easiest questions). I didnt want to work there but was too embarrassed to say so, so I fumbled through it talking about starting a career and making money to provide for my family.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I applied through other source – interviewed at New York Life.

I received a call from a gentleman who was wary to tell me too many details over the phone, he just wanted me to take my time to meet with them to see if I'd be "selected" to fill out an application. It was very shady since he was just trying to evade providing details but wanted me to think I was "selected" for a possible application. He mentioned some license that was required and later stated that I'd have to pay for it and I'd be "refunded". I decided to not go for the "interview" and he was a bit rude saying "Its ok, I guess you don't really get it". Well I did get it, but I am not interested in this line of work. Maybe next time instead of ending the conversation on a rude note, it would be great if your cold caller can understand that a person is not interested in that line of work to begin with.

Interview Questions
    • Apparently the difficulty was in it for the caller when I asked what the position was about and the licenses required for the position. He was hesitant to provide details, after all, he was calling me then stating that I'd have to go in for the "interview" to THEN apply for the job IF I was selected.   Answer Question

I posted my resume online but my credentials have nothing to do with their position available and also it is not a career I would enjoy for myself.

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2013.

Super long interview process. I had 4 meetings over a month before an offer was made. There weren't really any difficult questions - all pretty standard. I wasn't nervous or surprised by anything. My interviewer was a super nice guy that I really liked and would have been a strong factor if I had chosen to work there.

The compensation is all incentive based. There was a lot of earning potential but you don't have a single dollar before you make NYL money. It wasn't right for me but may be a good opportunity for someone else.

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in June 2013.

I was contacted after meeting a recruiter at a job fair and called in for an interview within days. The first interview was not so much an interview as a briefing on what the company is about. The hiring manager talked as if I was already a certain hire. He went over what the position entailed, compensation and handed me some forms to fill out for the second interview. The entire process didn't take longer than 30 minutes.
    The second interview was the basic personal questions about weaknesses, strengths, teamwork etc.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. It was standard interview fare that you could google up in preparation for an interview.   Answer Question

I accepted a better offer in a different field.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in May 2013.

First "interview" is really just meeting the recruiter and time to ask questions you have. Then you are set up with "info sessions," one at a time, (there are 3) before the real interview with the person making hiring decisions. Really makes you think about whether or not you want to be selling for them. They are seemingly transparent about all of their work and success so it seems like a good gig, if thats the industry you want to be in.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life.

Four Interviews total. Interview one seemed like they were trying to sell you on the company. Interview two was a compensation interview. Interview three was a training interview. Interview four was the acceptance interview.

Interview Questions

Pay is performance based and I did not feel comfortable with the current staff at the office.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

It was more of a sales pitch then anything else. They tell you what you're going to be doing and why its such a great job, the truth is there are 5 other companies within 10 miles that will hire you to do the exact same thing. These jobs are 100% commission based and cost the company almost nothing to hire you on. The interview was pretty laid back though, nice people. If I was interested in selling investment plans and life insurance, Id work there.

Interview Questions
    • If I asked your best friend 5 characteristics that describe you, what would they be?   Answer Question

Not interested in 100% commission job