New York Life

2.2

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Bridgewater, MA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Bridgewater, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in February 2013.

Your resume is reviewed electronically and you are then provided an initial meeting. The interview process is a bit involved. You meet four times and are provided with the training information if hired.

Interview Questions

I am interested in a financial advisor position, not interested in sales.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2013.

Kind of a joke. They are trying to sell you harder than you are trying to sell them. Base pay is 0 and will always be 0 at this position. They will hire nearly anyone with a college degree without a criminal record. The hiring process is just to throw stuff at the wall and see who sticks. Nearly 95% year 1 industry turnover and 80% within NYL.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in November 2012.

Multiple interviews. Second interview seemed to be more of a sales presentation to me based on potential compensation.

Interview Questions
    • Basic interview. No different or more difficult than any other interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in October 2012.

I applied online and was invited to interview through a phone call. I was interviewed by the Recruiting Coordinator and the interview was your basic behavioral interview, about 20 minutes. There was also a good amount of time that the coordinator spent praising the company and the people that worked there. After the interview, I was taken to a private room with a computer where I answered basic questions about myself and my behavior, which mostly seemed to focus on my approach to sales and how I deal with difficult customers. The office was very empty as many of the agents were out with clients (this was 10am on a Tuesday).

Interview Questions

I only got an offer for a second interview with the senior partner, but I declined as I wasn't interested in a sales position and chose another position I felt more comfortable in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in October 2012.

Multiple interview process. First Interview was mostly spent talking about previous job experiences in the financial industry. Second Interview was further discussion about the company, the position, and the compensation structure. There was also plenty of time for question and answer in both interviews. Interviews were very comfortable and more of a conversation back and forth rather than the interviewer asking all of the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given past experience, what qualifies you most for this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life in August 2012.

Very informal interview, last 1 hour

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life in July 2012.

There are 2 interviews.

Commission based

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyannis, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyannis, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in April 2012.

They tell you that you need to go through 4 interviews and on the last interview, if they want to hire you, they will offer you the job. The first interview consisted of the recruiter trying to sell me the company, which I thought was strange. It almost seemed like I was the one giving her an interview about New York Life. That was red flag #1. The fact that they were so desperate to get employees was very strange to me; in an economy that has many people struggling for jobs, why was this person almost begging me to become interested in this one?

Interview Questions

After reading reviews on this site and talking to people I know, I realized that they had been very deceptive in this interview. They said that salary was $65,000 and you were paid commission on top of that. But, almost everyone I spoke to and everything I read about said that it was commission only. Many other reviews also found that New York Life has a very deceptive interviewing process. Upon returning for my second interview, I decided that this was not the place I wanted to work at and declined the offer for another interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in November 2011.

I first received 1 minute phone call in regards to posting my resume at resume rabbit.
    I was told the address, which happens to be 17 miles from my house, confirmed the appointment before I arrived, and was interviewed by a senior partner.
    We spoke for almost an hour, with lively conversation that helped me explain the many jobs I've had over the last few years and why I chose to change, what it's taught me, and why I want to be a Financial Advisor.
    After finishing the online questionnaire in the computer testing room, we finally got to a Q&A session about the company, as he elaborated on what I could expect in terms of the marketing plan and the schedule.
    He was overly informative. This is one of the most reputable companies in the business. His personal motto seems to be "full disclosure". If you notice, their website reflects this aspect of their corporate culture.
    The last phase required me to go home and complete the background check on my computer.
    This is a test of Patience! I type fast, and it took my 2-3 hours. Make sure you set this kind of time aside.
    After this was completed, I called him (as requested), he informed me that he had to wait for the results to come in....
    That took another day.
    When he called me back, we set the appointment for the compensation meeting...
    And the rest is history.
    Good Luck. Make sure that when you get there, you smile and speak your mind. Don't be spoken to, engage.

Interview Questions
    The compensation was already more than I was expecting, I'm humble.
    Make sure you explain what you are making already and emphasize your need for sustainable income to not only be motivated, but to support your performance during the training period.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in September 2011.

Series of interviews detailing their training program.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you'd be qualified as a financial planner?   Answer Question