New York Life

Getting the Interview

26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Very professional staff and office. I was contacted within a week of responding to a post and had an interview within 1-2 weeks. The process was very thorough and informative.

Interview Question – Questions about my personal career goals.   Answer Question

Glendale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Was called back for interview two or three days after submitted my resume on my university's career center website. Office was very clean, and filled with very young-looking employees. Most were very friendly-- smiling and nodding to me as I waited near the front desk. Interviewer really only asked me one question-- "tell me about yourself. Take as much time as you think necessary." After this, he told me about the position, and asked if I had any questions. I asked several questions, and afterwards was shown to a computer where I completed a personality profile.

Interview Question – Only asked me to tell him about myself, and then asked me if I had any questions.   Answer Question

Dayton, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at New York Life in April 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring took forever as they kept saying that the approval process takes a while. I have worked in the financial field with other companies and they did not have a problem with getting me in and going right away. Partners are disingenuous with you to try to make It seem like you are fine

Interview Question – TIme waiting to get approved   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Southfield, MI

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at New York Life in August 2012.

Interview Details – The Managing Partner I was interviewed by was phenomenal. One month after he hired me, he was transferred to a position down south.

Questions were straight-forward and he totally explained the commission package through a series of two interviews. The first interview was about the position and he just spoke to me to see if I fit into the corporate culture.

Interview Question – Why do you feel you are a good fit in New York Life?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I choose another company which was interviewing my at the same time. The other company dealt more with investments which I was more interested in providing.

Financial Services Professional

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – The phone and in-person interviews were very conversational, getting-to-know-you. I met with the supervisor 3 times probably because the supervisor had some other interviews scheduled and our interview ran for too long.

Interview Question – Wasn't difficult at all. The supervisor just talked about a situation and ask you to share your opinion.   Answer Question

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – I was contacted by one of the Senior Partners at New York Life after I submitted my resume to my school's career development service.

Interview Question – Tell me something that you regret of doing or something you would done differently in the past   Answer Question

Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in March 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring manager was very nice, asked basic interview questions. Interview was one on one. Beautiful office in a nice location. No need to have a background in finance to get a job there. Employees seemed to enjoy their jobs, I got a chance to talk to some.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the most common problem is while helping people with their finances?   View Answer
  • What is your weakness?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Position is essentially selling financial services such as life insurance. If you're looking for a job that is not sales, this is not for you. It just wasn't for me.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

Interview Details – Basic questions on your resume, then told me his story of his life and how you should be willing to help people out

Interview Question – Say we wanted to invest in your new business, what would you open and how would you go about it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got another offer

Los Angeles, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview Details – Pristine marble offices, management seems friendly and intelligent; cubicles where you will live remind me of my former life as a rat in a NY subway.

I great place to go if you are ready for the rat race. If you are already licensed they want you to train and take the tests all over again which to me seems like spinning my wheels.

Everything seems wonderful, but most places are initially when they want to hire you. Not sure how long it would stay wonderful but they education they offer seems wonderful.

They emphasize on looking out the window a lot and scanning the horizon as a metaphor for potential.

Interview Questions

• Average questions. The test is what they base everything off of and the back ground check, the rest is a piece of cake. Test wasn't so hard either.   View Answer
  • Standard questions of if you think the job is right for you and if you want it.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I've been in the rat race of the cubicle machine and done the education... if you are already in the business it's hard to put on the training wheels again when you could be riding on your own.
Products and software are expensive and have a nice wrapping but are similar to everything else out there.
Compensation starts out crappy and you first 3-10 years determine what you make forever.
The cubicles where quite a depressing shade of brown and grey worn carpet-covered nightmare.
You eventually will pay a fee to rent your oak desk in a corner office.
They also don't like to move your current clients that you have worked so hard to serve.
I wasn't ready to start from scratch and be a sponge and get in that hamster cage, but if I was I would do it here.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

Interview Details – For the first interview I met with the recruiter and they asked me basic questions about myself and where I saw myself in 3 years. They asked me how much I wanted to make now and in three years and what my strengths were that set me apart from people with similar educational backgrounds. Then I had to take a personality test on the computer. I got called back for a second interview after the personality test determined I was a good fit and met with the senior partner who asked me similar questions the recruiter did; about a time I had failed and how I dealt with it, about what my strongest attribute was etc.

Interview Questions

• What are your long-term goals and where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
  • What 3-4 words would your best friend use to describe you?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Life Financial Service Professional interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Life employees and interview candidates.