New York Life Financial Service Professional Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2015
Updated Mar 3, 2015

2.4

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life.

Some process to get information about me then front to front interview to get the most confident of me. Details really important about the eventual position to be covered from my eventual position

Interview Questions
I need to get the license

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview went surprisingly smooth, very simple questions in cozy office atmosphere. Just be yourself, do not exaggerate or twist words, reply in simple terms as possible. It kind of hit in the middle of the interview is that they want to see how I would behave in front of a potential customer. So my advice: be as friendly, natural and simple as possible.

Had other family plans.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2015.

They had a four step interview process, the first two interviews are simple as long as you act and dress professionally. The third interview goes more in depth, and the fourth they make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What is something you've accomplished in the last 90 days?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in December 2014.

Three step interview process that lasted about a month. Very informative, not drilling you with questions. Just more to get to know you and what kind of person you are. Interviewed directly with potential boss and got to know him fairly well- very nice guy. Developed an understanding of the company and how everything is run.

Interview Questions
    • Why you're interested in the position?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in November 2014.

I applied online and was contacted the same day to set up an interview for the following week. The interview was pretty straight forward one-on-one. I walked him through my résumé and spoke about my goals, answering a few behavioral questions. The interviewer then spoke briefly about the position but mainly about the career track and company culture. Very helpful and very easy to talk to. Our discussion lasted about an hour and I then took a personality test. After the test, the interviewer let me know about the process that would follow. I received word that same day about a follow up interview with one of the managing partners for a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, be ready to answer anything about your résumé as well as personal experiences applicable to the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Had an employee give my resume to a Sr. Partner who called me later in the week. We spoke briefly on the phone and he then brought me in for a 1:1 interview. He gave me some things to study/think about and then brought me back in for 2 more interviews. After getting licensed and completing a night training course for 4 weeks, I was offered a contract.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary, they just want to make sure you'll be a good fit for the job   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

There was an initial interview that last about 20 minutes if they like you and it's just to get an initial feel for you. Then, they have a much more detailed interview where they try to scare you about the harsh realities of a completely commission based salary. Next, they tell you exactly what to expect out of the internship and what tests you need to pass to obtain certifications. The one thing I didn't like was that they don't provide anyways to help you sell. They pretty much tell you to figure out your own unique way and hopes some of the older guys will help you out a bit.

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

I applied to this position through my school's hiring program. I was scheduled for an interview a few days later. The interview was a little under an hour long. Interviewer was very friendly and helpful. They mostly just wanted to get to know me both personally and professionally. He explained the three step interview process to me and a little about the services they offer and the compensation and the company structure. I filled out an online survey after, and was given materials to read/ fill out in order to move to the next stage of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • They interview was just about getting to know me. One question was asking what is the first thing I do when I walk into a party. The whole interview was just questions about me, nothing technical.   Answer Question

I basically got offered to move to the next stage of interviewing, but I declined because the job is 100% commission and I am not wiling to take the risk, especially selling life insurance.

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Applied through college job board, was contacted through email and then they invited me in for an in person interview. I then completed a personality assessment along with some basic arithmetic/logic questions in their office. The interview was only with one guy, and it was pretty informal. I feel like they are looking for people that have social skills and can communicate/sell their product. They don't really care about your past experience, since you're basically responsible for your entire income and they don't have to put much equity into you. Their current employees come from all walks of life, and it seems to be a younger bunch than some of the other companies I interviewed at. However, they are nicer than other similar companies because they will give you a stipend while you are studying for the series 6, whereas most insurance/financial sales companies do not. I don't know why they want their employees to take the 6 and not the 7, since the 7 covers more territory. I was offered the job on the spot. Office attire is on the formal side, so make sure if you're wearing a suit and tie, polished shoes etc.The entire process was spread over several weeks because I was still in school and had difficult scheduling.

Interview Questions

I didn't want my first job out of college to be commission based. I wanted something more financially secure even if it is potentially less lucrative in the short term

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Very professional staff and office. I was contacted within a week of responding to a post and had an interview within 1-2 weeks. The process was very thorough and informative.