New York Life Financial Services Professional Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Life (San Antonio, TX) in March 2008.

Interview

Phone call from HR to set up personality & skills test. Then did one on one interview with direct manager, then second interview with other manager.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle another co-worker who accused you of being unprofessional?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation process; 100% commission

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Service Professional Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I was contacted by one of the Senior Partners at New York Life after I submitted my resume to my school's career development service.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something that you regret of doing or something you would done differently in the past   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Dayton, OH) in April 2012.

Interview

Hiring took forever as they kept saying that the approval process takes a while. I have worked in the financial field with other companies and they did not have a problem with getting me in and going right away. Partners are disingenuous with you to try to make It seem like you are fine

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life (Southfield, MI) in August 2012.

Interview

The Managing Partner I was interviewed by was phenomenal. One month after he hired me, he was transferred to a position down south. Questions were straight-forward and he totally explained the commission package through a series of two interviews. The first interview was about the position and he just spoke to me to see if I fit into the corporate culture.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel you are a good fit in New York Life?   1 Answer

I choose another company which was interviewing my at the same time. The other company dealt more with investments which I was more interested in providing.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

For the first interview I met with the recruiter and they asked me basic questions about myself and where I saw myself in 3 years. They asked me how much I wanted to make now and in three years and what my strengths were that set me apart from people with similar educational backgrounds. Then I had to take a personality test on the computer. I got called back for a second interview after the personality test determined I was a good fit and met with the senior partner who asked me similar questions the recruiter did; about a time I had failed and how I dealt with it, about what my strongest attribute was etc.

Interview Questions

• What are your long-term goals and where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • What 3-4 words would your best friend use to describe you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA).

Interview

Was called back for interview two or three days after submitted my resume on my university's career center website. Office was very clean, and filled with very young-looking employees. Most were very friendly-- smiling and nodding to me as I waited near the front desk. Interviewer really only asked me one question-- "tell me about yourself. Take as much time as you think necessary." After this, he told me about the position, and asked if I had any questions. I asked several questions, and afterwards was shown to a computer where I completed a personality profile.

Interview Questions

• Only asked me to tell him about myself, and then asked me if I had any questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Life (Tacoma, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Spoke to recruiter on phone for pre interview. Proceeded with 3 in person interviews after passing tests. Went through a lengthy background check. The whole process took about a month before I was offered a contract. They check everything from credit to criminal to employment history. They interviews lasted about an hour and included a company information presentation.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Atlanta, GA) in February 2012.

Interview

It takes a long time to get contracted and in the meantime there is no salary. You also have to get fingerprinted and licensed to sell insurance for life and health. The office was pretty nice but my first impression was that the people seemed rather cold and sterile but warmed up a lot afterwards.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life in September 2012.

Interview

There is a multi-meeting process when looking to join New York Life. The initial sit down interview is just a basic meet and greet to make sure you have acceptable personal skills and manners for the position. If you are moved to the next step, you will be given invited to a group interview where you get all the details of the position and earning potential. You should also be asked to complete and online survey to see your personality compatability with the desired role. At the end of the 2nd interview you are given 15 marketing surveys to complete before you can recieve a final interview. They require that you call people and ask them a series of questions and also get 3 referrals that you can do the survey with. Finally you are invited back for the final interview where you are typcially given a contract. From there you need to start making calls and get your licenses. As with most commission only opportunities, if you want the job and you have average personal skills it is yours to take.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiations.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Life in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process started with the HR. I interviewed with HR for about 40 minutes. She then sent me to the Dept to meet with the hiring managers. I met with a CVP and an AVP. The interview with the CVP was about an hour and the questions were very specific. I then met with the AVP and it took about 45 minutes. Once again, the questions were very specific. At the end of the interview I had a good idea what the job entailed. I was then call again for another interview with a senior VP. That interview was very good and lasted for about an hour. After the last interview, I waited for another 3 weeks before I was called with an offer. I then accepted the offer and started the job within the next 3 weeks.