New York Life

Updated Feb 6, 2015
Updated Feb 6, 2015

2.4

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

I was contacted 2-3 days after I sent in my application and scheduled an interview two days later. It was a somewhat formal initial interview getting to know me and my goals/motivation on my career. Most of the questions were about my personality, goals, achievements, and ambitions. They also presented a lot of information about the background of the company which you SHOULD research.

Interview Questions
  • Where do you want to be in 5 years? Where do you want to be in 10 years?
    It's a simple question but they were trying to see what my ambitions and intents were.

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life.

Was called back for interview two or three days after submitted my resume on my university's career center website. Office was very clean, and filled with very young-looking employees. Most were very friendly-- smiling and nodding to me as I waited near the front desk. Interviewer really only asked me one question-- "tell me about yourself. Take as much time as you think necessary." After this, he told me about the position, and asked if I had any questions. I asked several questions, and afterwards was shown to a computer where I completed a personality profile.

Interview Questions
    • Only asked me to tell him about myself, and then asked me if I had any questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

I applied in-person – interviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Spoke to recruiter on phone for pre interview. Proceeded with 3 in person interviews after passing tests. Went through a lengthy background check. The whole process took about a month before I was offered a contract. They check everything from credit to criminal to employment history. They interviews lasted about an hour and included a company information presentation.

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in October 2013.

They posted a position on a job site. Got called the same day and was in for a screening interview with an HR screener. Was invited back with the partner and then asked to attend a compensation presentation outlining their the pay structure. This meeting was also a sales pitch for the company: history, stability, ratings, etc. But it also was designed to show in detail the seeming ease of making over 6 figures in a year with the company. Was invited again to be given an offer.

Company was very buttoned-up in suits and business attire as would be expected in a financial company. Managers/partners were in their own offices. Things seemed a bit hushed. Not much laughing or even much talking.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about something you failed at and how did you respond? (Standard job interview question.)   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life.

The phone and in-person interviews were very conversational, getting-to-know-you. I met with the supervisor 3 times probably because the supervisor had some other interviews scheduled and our interview ran for too long.

Interview Questions
    • Wasn't difficult at all. The supervisor just talked about a situation and ask you to share your opinion.   Answer Question

Financial Service Professional Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

I was contacted by one of the Senior Partners at New York Life after I submitted my resume to my school's career development service.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something that you regret of doing or something you would done differently in the past   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in September 2012.

There is a multi-meeting process when looking to join New York Life. The initial sit down interview is just a basic meet and greet to make sure you have acceptable personal skills and manners for the position. If you are moved to the next step, you will be given invited to a group interview where you get all the details of the position and earning potential. You should also be asked to complete and online survey to see your personality compatability with the desired role. At the end of the 2nd interview you are given 15 marketing surveys to complete before you can recieve a final interview. They require that you call people and ask them a series of questions and also get 3 referrals that you can do the survey with. Finally you are invited back for the final interview where you are typcially given a contract. From there you need to start making calls and get your licenses. As with most commission only opportunities, if you want the job and you have average personal skills it is yours to take.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiations.

Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Life in August 2012.

The Managing Partner I was interviewed by was phenomenal. One month after he hired me, he was transferred to a position down south.

Questions were straight-forward and he totally explained the commission package through a series of two interviews. The first interview was about the position and he just spoke to me to see if I fit into the corporate culture.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you feel you are a good fit in New York Life?   View Answer

I choose another company which was interviewing my at the same time. The other company dealt more with investments which I was more interested in providing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life in April 2012.

Hiring took forever as they kept saying that the approval process takes a while. I have worked in the financial field with other companies and they did not have a problem with getting me in and going right away. Partners are disingenuous with you to try to make It seem like you are fine

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in March 2012.

Hiring manager was very nice, asked basic interview questions. Interview was one on one. Beautiful office in a nice location. No need to have a background in finance to get a job there. Employees seemed to enjoy their jobs, I got a chance to talk to some.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think the most common problem is while helping people with their finances?   View Answer
    • What is your weakness?   View Answer

Position is essentially selling financial services such as life insurance. If you're looking for a job that is not sales, this is not for you. It just wasn't for me.