New York Life

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.5

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in October 2013.

They posted a position on a job site. Got called the same day and was in for a screening interview with an HR screener. Was invited back with the partner and then asked to attend a compensation presentation outlining their the pay structure. This meeting was also a sales pitch for the company: history, stability, ratings, etc. But it also was designed to show in detail the seeming ease of making over 6 figures in a year with the company. Was invited again to be given an offer.

Company was very buttoned-up in suits and business attire as would be expected in a financial company. Managers/partners were in their own offices. Things seemed a bit hushed. Not much laughing or even much talking.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about something you failed at and how did you respond? (Standard job interview question.)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life.

The phone and in-person interviews were very conversational, getting-to-know-you. I met with the supervisor 3 times probably because the supervisor had some other interviews scheduled and our interview ran for too long.

Interview Questions
    • Wasn't difficult at all. The supervisor just talked about a situation and ask you to share your opinion.   Answer Question

Financial Service Professional Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

I was contacted by one of the Senior Partners at New York Life after I submitted my resume to my school's career development service.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something that you regret of doing or something you would done differently in the past   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Life in August 2012.

The Managing Partner I was interviewed by was phenomenal. One month after he hired me, he was transferred to a position down south.

Questions were straight-forward and he totally explained the commission package through a series of two interviews. The first interview was about the position and he just spoke to me to see if I fit into the corporate culture.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you feel you are a good fit in New York Life?   View Answer

I choose another company which was interviewing my at the same time. The other company dealt more with investments which I was more interested in providing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life in April 2012.

Hiring took forever as they kept saying that the approval process takes a while. I have worked in the financial field with other companies and they did not have a problem with getting me in and going right away. Partners are disingenuous with you to try to make It seem like you are fine

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in March 2012.

Hiring manager was very nice, asked basic interview questions. Interview was one on one. Beautiful office in a nice location. No need to have a background in finance to get a job there. Employees seemed to enjoy their jobs, I got a chance to talk to some.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think the most common problem is while helping people with their finances?   View Answer
    • What is your weakness?   View Answer

Position is essentially selling financial services such as life insurance. If you're looking for a job that is not sales, this is not for you. It just wasn't for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

For the first interview I met with the recruiter and they asked me basic questions about myself and where I saw myself in 3 years. They asked me how much I wanted to make now and in three years and what my strengths were that set me apart from people with similar educational backgrounds. Then I had to take a personality test on the computer. I got called back for a second interview after the personality test determined I was a good fit and met with the senior partner who asked me similar questions the recruiter did; about a time I had failed and how I dealt with it, about what my strongest attribute was etc.

Interview Questions
    • What are your long-term goals and where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • What 3-4 words would your best friend use to describe you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

It takes a long time to get contracted and in the meantime there is no salary. You also have to get fingerprinted and licensed to sell insurance for life and health. The office was pretty nice but my first impression was that the people seemed rather cold and sterile but warmed up a lot afterwards.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

Basic questions on your resume, then told me his story of his life and how you should be willing to help people out

Interview Questions
    • Say we wanted to invest in your new business, what would you open and how would you go about it?   Answer Question

Got another offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in November 2011.

I e-mailed my resume to a recruiter there. I was called in for an in-person interview. The interview was pretty standard. After the interview, I was asked to go to another room, where I completed an online skills and career fit test. After I did well on the online test, I was invited back in for a meeting with the managing partner there. He was a very nice guy who answered all my questions. I was then invited back for a group presentation, where the managing partner discussed compensation and benefits.

My advice is to be confident in all of the interviews. When you take the online assessment, be honest, but confident in your answers. The test looks for people that are very sociable, confident, and resilient (especially important that to handle rejection well). The office culture was solid. Everyone was professional and nice.

Interview Questions
    • How well do you respond to failure? Give an example of a time you overcame rejection.   Answer Question

I was offered the position, but ultimately declined due to a better offer elsewhere. I recommend that persons applying for this position also apply to the competitors of NY Life. To do this I would google the following: "name of competitor + manhattan office". You'll find the website for the Manhattan branch of that company. Vist the site and then send your resume to a recruiter or call the office directly. This is a good approach because it will give you a better feel for where you will fit in. Competitors you might google: Mass Mutual, Northwestern Mutual, Guardian Life, Met Life, Prudential Financial.