New York Life

Getting the Interview

26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2011.

Interview Details – I e-mailed my resume to a recruiter there. I was called in for an in-person interview. The interview was pretty standard. After the interview, I was asked to go to another room, where I completed an online skills and career fit test. After I did well on the online test, I was invited back in for a meeting with the managing partner there. He was a very nice guy who answered all my questions. I was then invited back for a group presentation, where the managing partner discussed compensation and benefits.

My advice is to be confident in all of the interviews. When you take the online assessment, be honest, but confident in your answers. The test looks for people that are very sociable, confident, and resilient (especially important that to handle rejection well). The office culture was solid. Everyone was professional and nice.

Interview Question – How well do you respond to failure? Give an example of a time you overcame rejection.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered the position, but ultimately declined due to a better offer elsewhere. I recommend that persons applying for this position also apply to the competitors of NY Life. To do this I would google the following: "name of competitor + manhattan office". You'll find the website for the Manhattan branch of that company. Vist the site and then send your resume to a recruiter or call the office directly. This is a good approach because it will give you a better feel for where you will fit in. Competitors you might google: Mass Mutual, Northwestern Mutual, Guardian Life, Met Life, Prudential Financial.

Very Easy Interview

Waltham, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted almost immediately. First interview i didnt say a word...the partner sold the company to me before inviting me for a second interview and said that there would be a third and fourth part as well. the fourth part explains the compensation. (all commission)

Interview Question – Why did you apply here?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – all commission.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in March 2011.

Interview Details – The company expects you to follow their system. The training seems very helpful, but it lasts for 3 years. There is no base salary. They don't hire international students, so if you are not an US citizen or permanent resident, don't bother to apply for this position.

Interview Question – How many people do you know in this area?   Answer Question

Waltham, MA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in December 2010.

Interview Details – I was found by a member of the NYL staff off monster.com and was asked to schedule and interview. It was a fairly basic interview. It was a big office, and I waited around in the lobby for about 30 minutes after showing up 20 minutes early. Then the interviewer whisked me away to his office on another floor and preceded to tell me all of the reasons I should work for him at NYL. A.K.A, the ability to be your own boss after 3 years, tons of growth, $75,000 average for first year. Which is all great, but it is just a job sitting in an office selling life insurance. i was barely able to get my qualifications out and he was sending me on my way, telling me we would definitely follow up. It's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything. if you dont mind researching and cold calling all day, this could be your job, but it hardly sounds entrepreneurial to me.

Interview Questions

San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2008.

Interview Details – Phone call from HR to set up personality & skills test. Then did one on one interview with direct manager, then second interview with other manager.

Interview Question – How would you handle another co-worker who accused you of being unprofessional?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation process; 100% commission

Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

Interview Details – Got a call from NYL and went in for a 1:1 interview. After this screening interview, I did a computer test and was approved for the 2nd interview. Interviewed with a partner, and was given an assignment to interview people in my personal market. Reported my results to the partner, and now currently waiting to discuss compensation in the hopes of securing this position.

I'm impressed by the company's compensation structure and agent support.

Interview Question – How would you build your personal market?   Answer Question

Wauwatosa, WI

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

Interview Details – First contacted online by a recruiter through my email account. Responded to the e-mail and set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes. Was later contacted for a second follow-up phone interview. Accepted a 1:1 interview with another recruiter at the Wauwatosa office. Interviewer was relatively rude compared to most interviews I have done in the financial services industry.

Interview Question – Have you ever considered joining the military?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in May 2012.

Interview Details – Very quick. Want to know if you are willing to call 100-200 people a day.

Interview Question – Why do you want this position?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not for me.

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in March 2012.

Interview Details – The first interview wasn't really an interview at all. It mostly consisted of the recruiter talking about New York Life and how they're different than other insurance companies in the industry. After talking up the company they asked if I'd like to come to another interview which I said sure.

The next interview asked a lot of things from what your biggest success was to name a time where you wanted something really bad and didn't get it. A lot of questions seemed like they were reaching for something specific although they never claimed so. Interesting process definitely.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Financial Services Professional

The process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview basically consisted of the manager trying to convince me to join the company. It wasn't like a typical interview, in fact I think the manager only asked me two or three questions. They promise that you can make $70K+, but don't offer a salary. The interview process consisted of four separate meetings, all with the same person.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question