New York Life

Average Difficulty
32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Services Professional

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – The phone and in-person interviews were very conversational, getting-to-know-you. I met with the supervisor 3 times probably because the supervisor had some other interviews scheduled and our interview ran for too long.

Interview Question – Wasn't difficult at all. The supervisor just talked about a situation and ask you to share your opinion.   Answer Question

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – I was contacted by one of the Senior Partners at New York Life after I submitted my resume to my school's career development service.

Interview Question – Tell me something that you regret of doing or something you would done differently in the past   Answer Question

Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in March 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring manager was very nice, asked basic interview questions. Interview was one on one. Beautiful office in a nice location. No need to have a background in finance to get a job there. Employees seemed to enjoy their jobs, I got a chance to talk to some.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the most common problem is while helping people with their finances?   View Answer
  • What is your weakness?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Position is essentially selling financial services such as life insurance. If you're looking for a job that is not sales, this is not for you. It just wasn't for me.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

Interview Details – Basic questions on your resume, then told me his story of his life and how you should be willing to help people out

Interview Question – Say we wanted to invest in your new business, what would you open and how would you go about it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got another offer

Los Angeles, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview Details – Pristine marble offices, management seems friendly and intelligent; cubicles where you will live remind me of my former life as a rat in a NY subway.

I great place to go if you are ready for the rat race. If you are already licensed they want you to train and take the tests all over again which to me seems like spinning my wheels.

Everything seems wonderful, but most places are initially when they want to hire you. Not sure how long it would stay wonderful but they education they offer seems wonderful.

They emphasize on looking out the window a lot and scanning the horizon as a metaphor for potential.

Interview Questions

• Average questions. The test is what they base everything off of and the back ground check, the rest is a piece of cake. Test wasn't so hard either.   View Answer
  • Standard questions of if you think the job is right for you and if you want it.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I've been in the rat race of the cubicle machine and done the education... if you are already in the business it's hard to put on the training wheels again when you could be riding on your own.
Products and software are expensive and have a nice wrapping but are similar to everything else out there.
Compensation starts out crappy and you first 3-10 years determine what you make forever.
The cubicles where quite a depressing shade of brown and grey worn carpet-covered nightmare.
You eventually will pay a fee to rent your oak desk in a corner office.
They also don't like to move your current clients that you have worked so hard to serve.
I wasn't ready to start from scratch and be a sponge and get in that hamster cage, but if I was I would do it here.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

Interview Details – For the first interview I met with the recruiter and they asked me basic questions about myself and where I saw myself in 3 years. They asked me how much I wanted to make now and in three years and what my strengths were that set me apart from people with similar educational backgrounds. Then I had to take a personality test on the computer. I got called back for a second interview after the personality test determined I was a good fit and met with the senior partner who asked me similar questions the recruiter did; about a time I had failed and how I dealt with it, about what my strongest attribute was etc.

Interview Questions

• What are your long-term goals and where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
  • What 3-4 words would your best friend use to describe you?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in November 2011.

Interview Details – I e-mailed my resume to a recruiter there. I was called in for an in-person interview. The interview was pretty standard. After the interview, I was asked to go to another room, where I completed an online skills and career fit test. After I did well on the online test, I was invited back in for a meeting with the managing partner there. He was a very nice guy who answered all my questions. I was then invited back for a group presentation, where the managing partner discussed compensation and benefits.

My advice is to be confident in all of the interviews. When you take the online assessment, be honest, but confident in your answers. The test looks for people that are very sociable, confident, and resilient (especially important that to handle rejection well). The office culture was solid. Everyone was professional and nice.

Interview Question – How well do you respond to failure? Give an example of a time you overcame rejection.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered the position, but ultimately declined due to a better offer elsewhere. I recommend that persons applying for this position also apply to the competitors of NY Life. To do this I would google the following: "name of competitor + manhattan office". You'll find the website for the Manhattan branch of that company. Vist the site and then send your resume to a recruiter or call the office directly. This is a good approach because it will give you a better feel for where you will fit in. Competitors you might google: Mass Mutual, Northwestern Mutual, Guardian Life, Met Life, Prudential Financial.

Very Easy Interview

Waltham, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted almost immediately. First interview i didnt say a word...the partner sold the company to me before inviting me for a second interview and said that there would be a third and fourth part as well. the fourth part explains the compensation. (all commission)

Interview Question – Why did you apply here?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – all commission.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in March 2011.

Interview Details – The company expects you to follow their system. The training seems very helpful, but it lasts for 3 years. There is no base salary. They don't hire international students, so if you are not an US citizen or permanent resident, don't bother to apply for this position.

Interview Question – How many people do you know in this area?   Answer Question

Waltham, MA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in December 2010.

Interview Details – I was found by a member of the NYL staff off monster.com and was asked to schedule and interview. It was a fairly basic interview. It was a big office, and I waited around in the lobby for about 30 minutes after showing up 20 minutes early. Then the interviewer whisked me away to his office on another floor and preceded to tell me all of the reasons I should work for him at NYL. A.K.A, the ability to be your own boss after 3 years, tons of growth, $75,000 average for first year. Which is all great, but it is just a job sitting in an office selling life insurance. i was barely able to get my qualifications out and he was sending me on my way, telling me we would definitely follow up. It's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything. if you dont mind researching and cold calling all day, this could be your job, but it hardly sounds entrepreneurial to me.