New York Life Financial Services Professional Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Atlanta, GA) in February 2012.

Interview

It takes a long time to get contracted and in the meantime there is no salary. You also have to get fingerprinted and licensed to sell insurance for life and health. The office was pretty nice but my first impression was that the people seemed rather cold and sterile but warmed up a lot afterwards.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Basic questions on your resume, then told me his story of his life and how you should be willing to help people out

Interview Questions

• Say we wanted to invest in your new business, what would you open and how would you go about it?   Answer Question

Got another offer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

I e-mailed my resume to a recruiter there. I was called in for an in-person interview. The interview was pretty standard. After the interview, I was asked to go to another room, where I completed an online skills and career fit test. After I did well on the online test, I was invited back in for a meeting with the managing partner there. He was a very nice guy who answered all my questions. I was then invited back for a group presentation, where the managing partner discussed compensation and benefits. My advice is to be confident in all of the interviews. When you take the online assessment, be honest, but confident in your answers. The test looks for people that are very sociable, confident, and resilient (especially important that to handle rejection well). The office culture was solid. Everyone was professional and nice.

Interview Questions

• How well do you respond to failure? Give an example of a time you overcame rejection.   Answer Question

I was offered the position, but ultimately declined due to a better offer elsewhere. I recommend that persons applying for this position also apply to the competitors of NY Life. To do this I would google the following: "name of competitor + manhattan office". You'll find the website for the Manhattan branch of that company. Vist the site and then send your resume to a recruiter or call the office directly. This is a good approach because it will give you a better feel for where you will fit in. Competitors you might google: Mass Mutual, Northwestern Mutual, Guardian Life, Met Life, Prudential Financial.

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Waltham, MA) in July 2011.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted almost immediately. First interview i didnt say a word...the partner sold the company to me before inviting me for a second interview and said that there would be a third and fourth part as well. the fourth part explains the compensation. (all commission)

all commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

took me 5 interviews to get hired. I had to meet everyone in upper management before i got the job. Furthermore, i had to pass the Life and Health exam before i even started there.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

The company expects you to follow their system. The training seems very helpful, but it lasts for 3 years. There is no base salary. They don't hire international students, so if you are not an US citizen or permanent resident, don't bother to apply for this position.

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Life (Waltham, MA) in December 2010.

Interview

I was found by a member of the NYL staff off monster.com and was asked to schedule and interview. It was a fairly basic interview. It was a big office, and I waited around in the lobby for about 30 minutes after showing up 20 minutes early. Then the interviewer whisked me away to his office on another floor and preceded to tell me all of the reasons I should work for him at NYL. A.K.A, the ability to be your own boss after 3 years, tons of growth, $75,000 average for first year. Which is all great, but it is just a job sitting in an office selling life insurance. i was barely able to get my qualifications out and he was sending me on my way, telling me we would definitely follow up. It's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything. if you dont mind researching and cold calling all day, this could be your job, but it hardly sounds entrepreneurial to me.

Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Wauwatosa, WI) in June 2010.

Interview

First contacted online by a recruiter through my email account. Responded to the e-mail and set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes. Was later contacted for a second follow-up phone interview. Accepted a 1:1 interview with another recruiter at the Wauwatosa office. Interviewer was relatively rude compared to most interviews I have done in the financial services industry.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Irvine, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Got a call from NYL and went in for a 1:1 interview. After this screening interview, I did a computer test and was approved for the 2nd interview. Interviewed with a partner, and was given an assignment to interview people in my personal market. Reported my results to the partner, and now currently waiting to discuss compensation in the hopes of securing this position. I'm impressed by the company's compensation structure and agent support.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Pristine marble offices, management seems friendly and intelligent; cubicles where you will live remind me of my former life as a rat in a NY subway. I great place to go if you are ready for the rat race. If you are already licensed they want you to train and take the tests all over again which to me seems like spinning my wheels. Everything seems wonderful, but most places are initially when they want to hire you. Not sure how long it would stay wonderful but they education they offer seems wonderful. They emphasize on looking out the window a lot and scanning the horizon as a metaphor for potential.

Interview Questions

• Average questions. The test is what they base everything off of and the back ground check, the rest is a piece of cake. Test wasn't so hard either.   1 Answer
    • Standard questions of if you think the job is right for you and if you want it.   Answer Question

I've been in the rat race of the cubicle machine and done the education... if you are already in the business it's hard to put on the training wheels again when you could be riding on your own. Products and software are expensive and have a nice wrapping but are similar to everything else out there. Compensation starts out crappy and you first 3-10 years determine what you make forever. The cubicles where quite a depressing shade of brown and grey worn carpet-covered nightmare. You eventually will pay a fee to rent your oak desk in a corner office. They also don't like to move your current clients that you have worked so hard to serve. I wasn't ready to start from scratch and be a sponge and get in that hamster cage, but if I was I would do it here.