New York Life Financial Services Professional Interview Questions

Updated Apr 5, 2015
Updated Apr 5, 2015

2.4

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Irvine, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Got a call from NYL and went in for a 1:1 interview. After this screening interview, I did a computer test and was approved for the 2nd interview. Interviewed with a partner, and was given an assignment to interview people in my personal market. Reported my results to the partner, and now currently waiting to discuss compensation in the hopes of securing this position.

I'm impressed by the company's compensation structure and agent support.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Pristine marble offices, management seems friendly and intelligent; cubicles where you will live remind me of my former life as a rat in a NY subway.

I great place to go if you are ready for the rat race. If you are already licensed they want you to train and take the tests all over again which to me seems like spinning my wheels.

Everything seems wonderful, but most places are initially when they want to hire you. Not sure how long it would stay wonderful but they education they offer seems wonderful.

They emphasize on looking out the window a lot and scanning the horizon as a metaphor for potential.

Interview Questions

• Average questions. The test is what they base everything off of and the back ground check, the rest is a piece of cake. Test wasn't so hard either.   1 Answer
    • Standard questions of if you think the job is right for you and if you want it.   Answer Question

I've been in the rat race of the cubicle machine and done the education... if you are already in the business it's hard to put on the training wheels again when you could be riding on your own.
    Products and software are expensive and have a nice wrapping but are similar to everything else out there.
    Compensation starts out crappy and you first 3-10 years determine what you make forever.
    The cubicles where quite a depressing shade of brown and grey worn carpet-covered nightmare.
    You eventually will pay a fee to rent your oak desk in a corner office.
    They also don't like to move your current clients that you have worked so hard to serve.
    I wasn't ready to start from scratch and be a sponge and get in that hamster cage, but if I was I would do it here.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life (San Antonio, TX) in March 2008.

Interview

Phone call from HR to set up personality & skills test. Then did one on one interview with direct manager, then second interview with other manager.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle another co-worker who accused you of being unprofessional?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation process; 100% commission

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in May 2012.

Interview

Very quick. Want to know if you are willing to call 100-200 people a day.

Not for me.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Life in March 2012.

Interview

The interview basically consisted of the manager trying to convince me to join the company. It wasn't like a typical interview, in fact I think the manager only asked me two or three questions. They promise that you can make $70K+, but don't offer a salary. The interview process consisted of four separate meetings, all with the same person.

Financial Service Professional Interview

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at New York Life in March 2012.

Interview

The first interview wasn't really an interview at all. It mostly consisted of the recruiter talking about New York Life and how they're different than other insurance companies in the industry. After talking up the company they asked if I'd like to come to another interview which I said sure.

The next interview asked a lot of things from what your biggest success was to name a time where you wanted something really bad and didn't get it. A lot of questions seemed like they were reaching for something specific although they never claimed so. Interesting process definitely.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

Interview

everybody at new york life treats you like a friend when you walk in. the interview is basically geared at finding out how big of a social circle you have. the bigger your social circle the better you will probably do at NYL. NYL targets their reps natural markets so if you have very little connects you will probably struggle through the process.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2011.

Interview

Painless

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No, this is performance based compensation, but is not only commission.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process started with the HR. I interviewed with HR for about 40 minutes. She then sent me to the Dept to meet with the hiring managers. I met with a CVP and an AVP. The interview with the CVP was about an hour and the questions were very specific. I then met with the AVP and it took about 45 minutes. Once again, the questions were very specific. At the end of the interview I had a good idea what the job entailed. I was then call again for another interview with a senior VP. That interview was very good and lasted for about an hour.

After the last interview, I waited for another 3 weeks before I was called with an offer. I then accepted the offer and started the job within the next 3 weeks.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life in June 2010.

Interview

A cold call turned into an interview. An interview that eventually turned into three interviews. The information they provide is straight forward and very compelling. The compensation package seems to be second to no one else. Training process is three years while learning on the job while initially pursuing your family and friend's accounts.