New York Life

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Selling pitch--endless growth possibility, selling insurance, commission based (solely), family & friends are your network. Call from recruiter, then one on one interview. Research company functions, products, services. Prepare to sell the products to family and friends

Interview Question – How will you expand your network to reach new customer base?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Commissioned based salary

Providence, RI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was interviewed for the Financial Services Representative position. The process took about two weeks, but I had a phone screening interview and then a personal interview with a managing director. After taking a candidate profile test, I was going to be connected with a partner with New York Life.

Interview Question – The interviews were behavioral. They were trying to get to know me and they led me ask them questions regarding the company and the position.   Answer Question

Hartford, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2013.

Interview Details – Basic and typical interview questions. If you've had any experience in the Financial Services or Insurance Industry, you are a shoe in. They are looking for any warm body that has a chance of selling product. Incredible turnover as there is only a very small chance of making any real money especially if you're just an Insurance Agent.

Interview Question – None. All relatively easy questions because I was in the business from prior employment. For most interviewees, the most difficult question would be related to personality traits, selling insurance product to family and friends, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy, because there is no base salary or any other compensation except commissions.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Glendale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through a college career website and got a phone call 3 days after applying. Got invited for an interview with a partner to their office in Glendale,CA. The process usually consists of 3-4 interviews.

1- behavioral, just to get to know you. After it is over, you are supposed to take a "personality fit" test where they basically test your confidence and sales skills.
2- in depths, same as the 1st one but slightly shifted towards your personality
3- after you complete the "homework", given to you after the 2nd interview, you get invited to the 3rd interview.

The partner who interviewed me bragged a lot about the company which made me question the values and the culture of the firm. By the way he said they rarely give full time offers to their interns:)

Interview Question – Basic questions like "tell me about yourself", "what sets you apart from other applicants", "what are your main strengths and weaknesses", "how would your friends describe you in 3 words". Easy behavioral stuff.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Did not want to sell insurance and

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in September 2011.

Interview Details – There are generally three interviews. The first is your typical job interview explaining yourself and your past work experience.

Second interview is called a marketing meeting. It's a group interview where one of the managers goes over the company, the duties and the compensation (it's pretty much all BS, very few people write 100 policy's and make the $75k they tell you about)

Final interview they ask you to identify 15 ppl in your "natural market" who you could approach to set an appointment with and sell insurance or annuity products.

Interview Question – How will you identify and approach your own clients   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. There is no salary so your are told to start setting appointments ASAP

Financial Services Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – There is a long hiring process - you have to do tests to see if you can work independently, are self motivated, can do basis math, and are adept for a career in sales. There is also a background check and credit check. If you can't pass the background or credit check, you will not get past this part. I think about 90% of folks don't make it past the 1st interview.

Interview Question – How would you handle a long slump in sales?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life in June 2013.

Interview Details – Didn't apply. They contacted me via resume online, since I'm looking for a better career. I was interview by two individuals, HR Rep, and a Partner Associate. One individual seemed as he had better things to do, We were interrupted by Agents in the hallway being to loud.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – 100% commission. Not my first job, nor am I stupid to work for free. Also the office seemed very sad, but it was being design or construction was being done.

Bridgewater, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in July 2010.

Interview Details – Four interview process. First interview= get to know each other. Second interview= training and marketing. Third interview= compensation. Fourth= contracting and licensing. Really matters who you interview with. Conversations about excitement and concerns.

I called my CPA to find out if what I was hearing was true. He said, "If they offer you the job, take it. New York Life is a great company and pays very well, especially the residual income and their pension is second to none"

One of the best decisions of my life.

Interview Question – Have you ever wanted to own your own business?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was told $100,000 income first year. I was not lied to.

Financial Services Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Three interviews. It's not too difficult

Interview Question – How much would you like to make? You can get commission for whatever amount you want to make!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not applicable

Orange, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in April 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through my school's website and was contacted the next day for an interview later in that week. I went to 2 interviews, they require 3. At the 1st interview, it was basics like bragging about the company and enticing you with big salary numbers while interviewing in the super fancy Orange County high rise office. I had to take a test after the interview which determined if I would be a good sales person; there were new hires in the same room who were cussing and complaining about the job. My 2nd interview was 2 days later and went over more personality type questions and the job offer was made contingent to my background checks. I was required to do homework before my 3rd interview to determine who my "clients" would be, aka friends and family, and how I would pitch sales to them. My backgrounds started all my previous employers were contacted. My 3rd interview was scheduled for 2 days later where I would basically sign my employment paperwork but I called and canceled it. I cannot make a living off of hustling my family and friends. This position was supposed to be for a Financial Services type position, not a sales job. NYL is kind of sleezy with their pyramid schemes.

Interview Question – Who could you sell to? How can you work them to find out personal information?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The job required you to sell to your friends and family. They don't help you get clients.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!