New York Life Financial Services Representative Interview Questions

Updated Mar 30, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

It was unprofessional. I responded to the phone and he said he was in a meeting and did not respond back. I waited for the reply for the whole day. Then someone else called and gave me some accurate and less accurate information. During the interview, the manager was over 20 minutes late.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview questions. He said he will only tell me about the bad stuff and if I wanted to come back, he would then tell me about the good stuff. I did not know if he wanted me or not. It did not make sense and he rushed and forgot to give me a packet.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Waltham, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied for the positions through my schools career website and was contacted for an interview. At the first interview they tell you about the company and the position and training involved. I was asked to go to a second interview where I was able to ask any questions and discuss the position more in depth. I choose not to pursue this job any further.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

Selling pitch--endless growth possibility, selling insurance, commission based (solely), family & friends are your network. Call from recruiter, then one on one interview. Research company functions, products, services. Prepare to sell the products to family and friends

Interview Questions

• How will you expand your network to reach new customer base?   1 Answer

Commissioned based salary

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Providence, RI) in April 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed for the Financial Services Representative position. The process took about two weeks, but I had a phone screening interview and then a personal interview with a managing director. After taking a candidate profile test, I was going to be connected with a partner with New York Life.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were behavioral. They were trying to get to know me and they led me ask them questions regarding the company and the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied through a college career website and got a phone call 3 days after applying. Got invited for an interview with a partner to their office in Glendale,CA. The process usually consists of 3-4 interviews.

1- behavioral, just to get to know you. After it is over, you are supposed to take a "personality fit" test where they basically test your confidence and sales skills.
    2- in depths, same as the 1st one but slightly shifted towards your personality
    3- after you complete the "homework", given to you after the 2nd interview, you get invited to the 3rd interview.

The partner who interviewed me bragged a lot about the company which made me question the values and the culture of the firm. By the way he said they rarely give full time offers to their interns:)

Interview Questions

• Basic questions like "tell me about yourself", "what sets you apart from other applicants", "what are your main strengths and weaknesses", "how would your friends describe you in 3 words". Easy behavioral stuff.   Answer Question

Did not want to sell insurance and

Financial Services Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview

There is a long hiring process - you have to do tests to see if you can work independently, are self motivated, can do basis math, and are adept for a career in sales. There is also a background check and credit check. If you can't pass the background or credit check, you will not get past this part. I think about 90% of folks don't make it past the 1st interview.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life (Chicago, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

Didn't apply. They contacted me via resume online, since I'm looking for a better career. I was interview by two individuals, HR Rep, and a Partner Associate. One individual seemed as he had better things to do, We were interrupted by Agents in the hallway being to loud.

Interview Questions

100% commission. Not my first job, nor am I stupid to work for free. Also the office seemed very sad, but it was being design or construction was being done.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Three interviews. It's not too difficult

Interview Questions

• How much would you like to make? You can get commission for whatever amount you want to make!   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not applicable

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life (New Orleans, LA) in April 2013.

Interview

interview one was general information about the company. telling you how they are different from any other company out there. second interview was getting to know me. asked questions about my childhood and how do i see myself being successful in this business. third interview was compensation. stressed how much money you could be making etc.. old showed me the technology fee which was 75/month.

Interview Questions

• nothing really difficult. I asked them a question about the rention rate in this particular office. He gave me false information. he told me 40 and a former VP told me way less than that.   Answer Question

didnt feel they would properly train me and not upfront with all the fees and expenses i would have. other companies gave me a laundry list of first year expenses down to the penny.

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life (Orange, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

I applied through my school's website and was contacted the next day for an interview later in that week. I went to 2 interviews, they require 3. At the 1st interview, it was basics like bragging about the company and enticing you with big salary numbers while interviewing in the super fancy Orange County high rise office. I had to take a test after the interview which determined if I would be a good sales person; there were new hires in the same room who were cussing and complaining about the job. My 2nd interview was 2 days later and went over more personality type questions and the job offer was made contingent to my background checks. I was required to do homework before my 3rd interview to determine who my "clients" would be, aka friends and family, and how I would pitch sales to them. My backgrounds started all my previous employers were contacted. My 3rd interview was scheduled for 2 days later where I would basically sign my employment paperwork but I called and canceled it. I cannot make a living off of hustling my family and friends. This position was supposed to be for a Financial Services type position, not a sales job. NYL is kind of sleezy with their pyramid schemes.

Interview Questions

• Who could you sell to? How can you work them to find out personal information?   Answer Question

The job required you to sell to your friends and family. They don't help you get clients.