New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Wall, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Wall, NJ).

Interview

Three interview process, 1st interview to get to know each other and the company. 2nd interview give an overview of the position and how to be successful. Given homework to call fifteen people you know and ask them to answer a questionnaire to get a feel and understand if you are able to complete the job requirements.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Stratford, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a career fair and immediately set up the first interview. The interview was very laid back -- I answered a few questions then the recruiter mostly talked about the company and what they have to offer. After talking for a little, I took a 15 minute assessment, then was done. I was called back about a week later to come back for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• 5 words to describe yourself, 3 words to describe a successful salesman/woman   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Charleston, SC).

Interview

A friend who works at the company recommended me to join. I contacted a hiring manager by email referencing the recommendation. Promptly we started exchanging emails and talked on the phone. I agreed to drive a couple of hours to meet him at his HQ office in Charleston. Turned out to be a VERY swanky prestige suite in historic downtown.

When the manager came to welcome me he invited me to his office. He had a MASSIVE modern desk which he sat behind in a big chair, and I was waved to the chair in front. There was a vertical panel in the desk which blocked me from sitting comfortably. The place seemed calculated to impress and intimidate.

We had a good interview, focusing mostly on personal character and aspirations, and somewhat on industry knowledge. It was a very challenging interview which I enjoyed. He had a really good computer based presentation about NY Life careers. (I asked him for a copy which he was unable to provide.)

The national company has special hiring initiatives for various demographic niches. Interesting to me, they have one for LGBT agents and markets, and the literature was in the foyer so I felt comfortable talking to him about that aspect of how I could reach out for prospects. They are big on career planning and envisioning futures with the company.

NY Life requires a very very thorough scrutiny of the candidates, which is confidence-inspiring about the successful personnel, if you the candidate are not overwhelmed by it. I was required to submit EXTREMELY detailed information and answer multiple questionnaires that are all intended to expose everything "good, bad, or ugly." Some was done by email, some in person, some with a secure special online portal.

The company has a whole separate department that reviews all these materials and must approve you. I already had an insurance producer license and had worked in the field so I had done the credentialing and exam process already. NY Life has higher standards than most because I got a new level of examination.

I highly recommend to be prepared by pulling your credit reports because the data summarized on them is extremely handy to answer the questions with precision. Also, if there is any kind of false negative information in your reports that you have not already fixed before, it is going to be a problem. Also, any TRUE negative information is going to require information, explanation, possible documentation. I was required to produce an actual copy of a court document for a bankruptcy discharge (8 years ago and no problems since then). [Just as a side note, I was able to retrieve it electronically in no time using PACE (Public Access to Court Electronic Records). I believe you have to have an EIN tax number to use PACE.]

NY Life gave me a whole fresh new round of scouring for dirt. When I was eventually approved they literally said I was "clean."

Interview Questions

• I think he asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Lots of interest in personal goals.   Answer Question

To answer this Glassdoor questionnaire I'm asked if I got an offer. Well, at a later point, I declined to pursue the opportunity further down the path, and the hiring manager still wanted to recruit me. We were still pre-offer. I was left with a great impression of this company. Just not a perfect fit for me at this time. The most important factor is that the market I prefer to work with has a lower income level than the optimal NY Life customer.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life (Austin, TX).

Interview

I met a recruiter at a job fair and came in and met with the recruiter two days later. Good interview where recruiter extolled all the great virtues of the company. It's a great company, no denying that. Makes it sound very easy to succeed in the business. Came back a few days later for 2nd interview with managing director of office for ~30 mins then sat in a pre-training session with 2 others. Managing director gave me prospect forms to call people I know with a survey to get a feel for what the position would be like.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Very Long, takes about 2-3 months to get hired, especially if you do not have your license to start. Then you get put in class at their location for a week to learn. then you must sell a certain amount of life insurance applications to get paid from there.

Interview Questions

• They want to know can you hustle and get sales on your own   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (San Mateo, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The first time I went to New York Life was for a group presentation where the Senior Partner talked about the careers at New York Life .I then had to complete a brief questionnaire/personality test to determine if this was an opportunity for which I might be suited. After completed it, I got a call to set up a one-one interview. The interview was a one on one with the Senior Partner where he went over the benefits of working at New York Life, explanations of how life insurance works and asked me classic interview-type questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life (Carmel, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

Three Interviews. First weeds out the candidates who can't make the cut, Second Explains Compensation, and you decide if you have the guts to bet on your self. If you make it to the third interview, welcome to New York Life.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to our team   1 Answer

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life in February 2015.

Interview

They call me and gave me an appointment next day, so I went and they were asking me several questions about my experiences and my expectations. Then they told me about the job.

Interview Questions

Because it was not what I was expecting.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Went through 4 interviews. First a phone interview, then 3 in person interviews. First they get to know you. Then they educate you about themselves. then they talk about the position in detail.

Interview Questions

• Not many difficult or unexpected questions. They just learn about your background and determine weather or not you will be a good fit for the company.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

In the second round of interviews, not behavioral based. Be ready to answer compensation questions. Everyone at the office was nice and professional. The partner that interviewed me was a great conversationalist and was not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to make the money that this job can provide?   Answer Question