New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions

Updated Sep 24, 2014

2.2

44 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at New York Life.

They have a 4 interview process, that I found to be very repetitive. I suppose to make sure that you were consistent in your answers to the questions. Each time we met we also covered a part of their business plan or how they would identify a client.

Interview Questions
  • Most of the questions were straight forward. What your biggest strength? Whats your biggest weakness? ETC   Answer Question

They say they don't cold call, instead they wanted me to badger my friends and family. I wasn't comfortable trying to persuade friends and family to buy policies.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at New York Life.

Very simple, the company is looking to sell you on the position and the benefits that can come with success. They really are looking to make sure you can hold conversation, and can represent the company in a positive way. There are four interviews but after the first, they focus more on what the company offers, more than your actual skills

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life.

They found my resume on the wed, contacted by phone, set up an interview. Basically they were not interviewing me, but advertising this position, trying to convince me to work for them. Since it was 100% commission based position, i decided not to proceed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salem, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

I applied in-person - interviewed at New York Life.

I met with a NY Life company representative at a career fair, where the representative asked me to complete a personality quiz/skills assessment on a laptop computer he had at the fair. So after siting in the corner and completing the assessment on the laptop, the results were emailed to the rep and I passed. The assessment was mostly geared toward evaluating your level of persistence/sales aggressiveness and what your pre-conceived ideas were concerning insurance agents in general. After chatting and going over my resume with the representative at the career fair, we set a time to meet for a formal interview.

The formal interview took 3 hours. I was not told this would be the case so I had to miss an appointment I'd scheduled for later that day. 90% of the interview was the same NY Life representative talking at me about their company and then "using me as an example" to go through their sales pitch. This amounted to asking personal questions about my marital status ("What members of your family would you need to help out by leaving life insurance money? ...I assume you don't have a spouse or a long-term partner?"), my age ("So at what age do you plan to retire? ...And how many years do you have until then?"), and my current financial situation (how much money I had in my checking, savings, and any assets/liabilities I had). These questions were incredibly invasive and I can honestly say I was so taken aback by the questions that I ended up answering most of them out of shock. I even told him that I'd never had an interview where an employer asked me about my bank account and he just shrugged it of: "Well we're just having fun here, and you are interviewing with a financial agency after all..."

I really can't recommend NY Life. In the end, they seem to care less about the agents they're hiring and more about the company's reputation. I was even told that "When you're starting out, if you clearly don't have much experience, you can't win people over because of who you are or your dedication to the job, you win them over because of the company you work for."

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't expecting to be asked about my financial status and then told what my net worth was according to the interviewing agent.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied online - interviewed at New York Life.

Just a bunch of questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  South Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

great process and very thorough

long process but worth it, 4 interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Not your typical interview process. They highlight their strengths and advantages on working for them rather then giving you tough interview questions. The process requires a couple meetings in order for you to gauge the company and to see whether it is a good fit or not. Near the end, New York Life does evaluate your skills and expertise a bit more through a couple classes/tasks required in order to be full-time.

Interview Questions
    • No real tough questions asked other than general background information and what I have learned in the past in sales.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arvada, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arvada, CO

I applied through other source - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

Initial contact is good. As most employers. You have two initial meetings. Get to know, assessment test is for second appointment. Application, background and credit check are preformed. They go back an double check each piece of information provided. They do almost an under writing type of background check on everything. They require certain proof and it may take about 20 days of waiting before they let you know if you are accepted by NYL. Then they make you take the License testing. They tell you it's 10 days. The course website support staff say it takes 25 days and it really takes about 30 days if you have a job. Then after you pay for the license you get reimbursed. Then the State of Colorado has to approve your license. Then NYL has to approve your license. Then they have to communicate you need to provide additional information on you application. In total it may take a couple of months before you actually get approved by NYL corporate, NYL local chapter. After that process they make you sign 3 contracts. Be ready to listen. ASK for a copy. I asked for one and they never gave me one. The process takes a long time. During this time you just wait and wonder why it takes so long. Also, EVEN if you reach their sales goals, it is at their "DISCRETION" if they want to hire you "full-time" or not. Beware and ask and tell them to put it in writing if it is not correct.

Interview Questions
    • Easy interview process. It's hard to convince people to work without any sort of compensation during 3 months. If you don't reach their sales guidelines, they will hire you on what they call a "full time basis" when you are already in training and calling people for them on your own time on a full time basis. They expect for you to complete certain amount of points per day. This may take full time work that is not accounted for. I mean, they do not pay you during the vesting and hiring process - all while you are scheduled to take classes with out compensation.   View Answer
    Strictly commission base. No base salary at beginning, unless you reach their sales goals, they pay for expenses and training. If you do not reach their sales goals, not a penny will be compensated for.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview process was on the easy side. It is an all commission job so they aren't looking for people that aren't ready to put in the work, they can sense if you are going to or not right away. They are very up front and straight forward with the commission structure and how tough the business is. Great opportunity to really see what you are worth. You determine your own destiny

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you can strive in an all commission role?   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at New York Life.

I applied online and was invited to the office for a face to face interview with the Partner's assistant. Basic questions were asked about my experience, why I wanted to work for the company. I took a personality test online and passed. I was subjected to an extensive background check which took a considerable amount of time. Once I passed my insurance test and secured my license, I was able to start producing.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to talk about the company. The information is available online, so this was an easy request for me. There were no challenging questions asked of me.   Answer Question
    100% commission

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!