New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in October 2011.

It was long..... We met almost a dozen times. They do a credit check, a background check, and there are mounds of paperwork. Yet you want it, because it's worth it. The office is beautiful. The people in the office are professions and friendly, and it's a great opportunity. It's definitely not an easy job to get. They want to make quadruple sure that you're the real thing. Still go for it. It IS worth it.

Interview Questions
  • "How much do you want it?" I know it doesn't seem like a hard question. You could say anything. But they want specifics. They want to know how much you need to make a living, and what desire you have and whether you're willing to work hard for it. It's definitely a loaded question.   View Answer
None.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

A friend who works at the company recommended me to join. I contacted a hiring manager by email referencing the recommendation. Promptly we started exchanging emails and talked on the phone. I agreed to drive a couple of hours to meet him at his HQ office in Charleston. Turned out to be a VERY swanky prestige suite in historic downtown.

When the manager came to welcome me he invited me to his office. He had a MASSIVE modern desk which he sat behind in a big chair, and I was waved to the chair in front. There was a vertical panel in the desk which blocked me from sitting comfortably. The place seemed calculated to impress and intimidate.

We had a good interview, focusing mostly on personal character and aspirations, and somewhat on industry knowledge. It was a very challenging interview which I enjoyed. He had a really good computer based presentation about NY Life careers. (I asked him for a copy which he was unable to provide.)

The national company has special hiring initiatives for various demographic niches. Interesting to me, they have one for LGBT agents and markets, and the literature was in the foyer so I felt comfortable talking to him about that aspect of how I could reach out for prospects. They are big on career planning and envisioning futures with the company.

NY Life requires a very very thorough scrutiny of the candidates, which is confidence-inspiring about the successful personnel, if you the candidate are not overwhelmed by it. I was required to submit EXTREMELY detailed information and answer multiple questionnaires that are all intended to expose everything "good, bad, or ugly." Some was done by email, some in person, some with a secure special online portal.

The company has a whole separate department that reviews all these materials and must approve you. I already had an insurance producer license and had worked in the field so I had done the credentialing and exam process already. NY Life has higher standards than most because I got a new level of examination.

I highly recommend to be prepared by pulling your credit reports because the data summarized on them is extremely handy to answer the questions with precision. Also, if there is any kind of false negative information in your reports that you have not already fixed before, it is going to be a problem. Also, any TRUE negative information is going to require information, explanation, possible documentation. I was required to produce an actual copy of a court document for a bankruptcy discharge (8 years ago and no problems since then). [Just as a side note, I was able to retrieve it electronically in no time using PACE (Public Access to Court Electronic Records). I believe you have to have an EIN tax number to use PACE.]

NY Life gave me a whole fresh new round of scouring for dirt. When I was eventually approved they literally said I was "clean."

Interview Questions
    • I think he asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Lots of interest in personal goals.   Answer Question

To answer this Glassdoor questionnaire I'm asked if I got an offer. Well, at a later point, I declined to pursue the opportunity further down the path, and the hiring manager still wanted to recruit me. We were still pre-offer. I was left with a great impression of this company. Just not a perfect fit for me at this time. The most important factor is that the market I prefer to work with has a lower income level than the optimal NY Life customer.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at New York Life.

In the second round of interviews, not behavioral based. Be ready to answer compensation questions. Everyone at the office was nice and professional. The partner that interviewed me was a great conversationalist and was not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to make the money that this job can provide?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

I had 4 interviews but every day is kind of like an interview. They expect you to hit your projections every week.

Interview Questions
    • What were my motivation for working for New York Life.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Houston, TX

great process and very thorough

long process but worth it, 4 interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

An extended process, with at least 6-8 meetings with management. You are expected to wear formal business attire, be punctual, be prepared, First meeting is group meeting, then one on one meetings are held. A formal background check is required. You initial contract offered will be a temporary contract, with a minimum sales quota is required. If this is not met within 6 months, then you will not be offered a formal contract.

Interview Questions
    • You will need to take a test that measured personality   Answer Question
    Not much to negotiate

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

4 interview selection process, they get to know you and you get to know them

Interview Questions
    Preliminary contract is non negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2010.

It was very thorough. Step by step. I had some homework to do. The recruiter was very informative.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in May 2009.

Manager was pretty clear about what the job actually was. I had three interviews, one on campus, managing partner and my manager again. There wasn't any sugar coating it that it was a hard job but they asked questions to see if you were a good fit.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life.

The interview process is three steps. They don't try to throw any curves at you. They will have you complete a small marketing project as well.

Interview Questions
    • None come to mind. Just make sure to do some research on the company and have questions ready.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation for an agent salary