New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.3

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Just asked if I had experience, and willing to take the leap. Blew a bunch of smoke

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing, All Commission, no help

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview

A recruiter called to schedule the interview. First round interview with a recruiter. Then interview with the manager/ district agent.

Interview Questions

• What is your competitive advantage? Why should I hire you?   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Just a bunch of questions

Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at New York Life (Salem, OR).

Interview

I met with a NY Life company representative at a career fair, where the representative asked me to complete a personality quiz/skills assessment on a laptop computer he had at the fair. So after siting in the corner and completing the assessment on the laptop, the results were emailed to the rep and I passed. The assessment was mostly geared toward evaluating your level of persistence/sales aggressiveness and what your pre-conceived ideas were concerning insurance agents in general. After chatting and going over my resume with the representative at the career fair, we set a time to meet for a formal interview.

The formal interview took 3 hours. I was not told this would be the case so I had to miss an appointment I'd scheduled for later that day. 90% of the interview was the same NY Life representative talking at me about their company and then "using me as an example" to go through their sales pitch. This amounted to asking personal questions about my marital status ("What members of your family would you need to help out by leaving life insurance money? ...I assume you don't have a spouse or a long-term partner?"), my age ("So at what age do you plan to retire? ...And how many years do you have until then?"), and my current financial situation (how much money I had in my checking, savings, and any assets/liabilities I had). These questions were incredibly invasive and I can honestly say I was so taken aback by the questions that I ended up answering most of them out of shock. I even told him that I'd never had an interview where an employer asked me about my bank account and he just shrugged it of: "Well we're just having fun here, and you are interviewing with a financial agency after all..."

I really can't recommend NY Life. In the end, they seem to care less about the agents they're hiring and more about the company's reputation. I was even told that "When you're starting out, if you clearly don't have much experience, you can't win people over because of who you are or your dedication to the job, you win them over because of the company you work for."

Interview Questions

• I wasn't expecting to be asked about my financial status and then told what my net worth was according to the interviewing agent.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

They found my resume on the wed, contacted by phone, set up an interview. Basically they were not interviewing me, but advertising this position, trying to convince me to work for them. Since it was 100% commission based position, i decided not to proceed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at New York Life (El Paso, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

The hiring process is not designed to seek out the interest of the applicant. The company has sales vacancies to fill and that is what they offer. The sales pitch is very good, and the promises are impressive. New agent will end up spending more money out of pocket to meet requirements, than they will actually earn.

Interview Questions

• None. They were not interested in asking questions. The process was a sales pitch designed to draw the applicant in.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much. They basically made it look like once the applicant was willing to work, following the company's protocals they will be successful. The cost and benifits of earning was placed on the applicant 100%

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Windsor, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life (New Windsor, NY) in April 2009.

Interview

I was contacted via a recruiter over the phone after setting up my resume on various job posting sites. The call was not really an interview; I was asked about my previous sales experience and if I would be interested in selling life insurance. The recruiter was basically advertising the company and the compensation structure more than I was being asked questions, so there is nothing to prepare for as far as answering questions for the initial call. After speaking briefly with the recruiter, I was invited to the local sales office for an interview with the branch manager. He was a nice guy, and I didn't feel nervous at all during the interview. The questions were very simple, including "Why New York Life?" and "Discuss your previous sales experience and success stories." Most of the interview was similar to the call with the recruiter, but he detailed the compensation structure, which made it sound much better than it actually was.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. The only question that involved any amount of thinking was "Tell me about a success story with a sale you previously made."   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation since there is no salary. The compensation is based solely on commission from the insurance policies you sell and the accounts you rollover into New York Life funds.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Lengthy process. You must get your NYS Life, Accident, & Health License

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (Austin, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

one phone interview, 3 in person interviews. was offered the job after the first interview, the other two were to make sure I really wanted to work at the office

Interview Questions

• where do you want to be in 10 years, none of the questions were difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation its completly comission based

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2009.

Interview

They call you ask you to come down and go over the job briefly. They want you to come back a second time to be sure if you are serious. This is a numbers game, if you have a pulse and nothing is on your record you will get a shot.

Negotiation

none because there is no salary.