New York Life

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Average Difficulty
39 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Insurance Agent

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Just asked if I had experience, and willing to take the leap. Blew a bunch of smoke

Interview Question – Nothing, very easy   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing, All Commission, no help

Insurance Agent

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – A recruiter called to schedule the interview. First round interview with a recruiter. Then interview with the manager/ district agent.

Interview Question – What is your competitive advantage? Why should I hire you?   Answer Question

Insurance Agent

I applied online and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Just a bunch of questions

Interview Question – Whos your best friend and why   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – They found my resume on the wed, contacted by phone, set up an interview. Basically they were not interviewing me, but advertising this position, trying to convince me to work for them. Since it was 100% commission based position, i decided not to proceed.

Salem, OR

I applied in-person and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – I met with a NY Life company representative at a career fair, where the representative asked me to complete a personality quiz/skills assessment on a laptop computer he had at the fair. So after siting in the corner and completing the assessment on the laptop, the results were emailed to the rep and I passed. The assessment was mostly geared toward evaluating your level of persistence/sales aggressiveness and what your pre-conceived ideas were concerning insurance agents in general. After chatting and going over my resume with the representative at the career fair, we set a time to meet for a formal interview.

The formal interview took 3 hours. I was not told this would be the case so I had to miss an appointment I'd scheduled for later that day. 90% of the interview was the same NY Life representative talking at me about their company and then "using me as an example" to go through their sales pitch. This amounted to asking personal questions about my marital status ("What members of your family would you need to help out by leaving life insurance money? ...I assume you don't have a spouse or a long-term partner?"), my age ("So at what age do you plan to retire? ...And how many years do you have until then?"), and my current financial situation (how much money I had in my checking, savings, and any assets/liabilities I had). These questions were incredibly invasive and I can honestly say I was so taken aback by the questions that I ended up answering most of them out of shock. I even told him that I'd never had an interview where an employer asked me about my bank account and he just shrugged it of: "Well we're just having fun here, and you are interviewing with a financial agency after all..."

I really can't recommend NY Life. In the end, they seem to care less about the agents they're hiring and more about the company's reputation. I was even told that "When you're starting out, if you clearly don't have much experience, you can't win people over because of who you are or your dedication to the job, you win them over because of the company you work for."

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting to be asked about my financial status and then told what my net worth was according to the interviewing agent.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in September 2012.

Interview Details – one phone interview, 3 in person interviews. was offered the job after the first interview, the other two were to make sure I really wanted to work at the office

Interview Question – where do you want to be in 10 years, none of the questions were difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation its completly comission based

Insurance Agent

I interviewed at New York Life in August 2013.

Interview Details – not specific questions. I was an interview to determine if you are outgoing person who have communications skills.I had 2 interviews and first was just talking but the second they showed me how the compensation works. There is a presentation for about 30 min showing how you get paid and get residual income.

Interview Question – There was not any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. No base salary-just commission.

Insurance Agent

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

Interview Details – Just went to the interview today, he mainly talked about the company and the kind of people they're looking for.. Told this was 2 step process, with that interview being the first step. Gave me info & online application to fill out if interested in proceeding to next step. He didn't have too many questions for me, surprisingly. It seemed like he was "selling" the job more than interviewing me!

Interview Question – He didn't have too many questions for me, surprisingly. It seemed like he was "selling" the job more than interviewing me!   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'm thinking about it, but cautiously.

Insurance Agent

I applied through other source and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details – Lengthy process. You must get your NYS Life, Accident, & Health License

New Windsor, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted via a recruiter over the phone after setting up my resume on various job posting sites. The call was not really an interview; I was asked about my previous sales experience and if I would be interested in selling life insurance. The recruiter was basically advertising the company and the compensation structure more than I was being asked questions, so there is nothing to prepare for as far as answering questions for the initial call. After speaking briefly with the recruiter, I was invited to the local sales office for an interview with the branch manager. He was a nice guy, and I didn't feel nervous at all during the interview. The questions were very simple, including "Why New York Life?" and "Discuss your previous sales experience and success stories." Most of the interview was similar to the call with the recruiter, but he detailed the compensation structure, which made it sound much better than it actually was.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. The only question that involved any amount of thinking was "Tell me about a success story with a sale you previously made."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation since there is no salary. The compensation is based solely on commission from the insurance policies you sell and the accounts you rollover into New York Life funds.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!